A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Chess'n Math will be charging organizers of chess events $20 (tax included) per event to advertise on this site or they can purchase a 2018 subscription for $100 (tax included) which allows them to advertise as many events as they wish in 2018.

They must also post the results here.

Please contact me in order to make your payment. bevand at chess-math dot org

Larry Bevand

Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Congrats, long overdue.

Just a mention ... there seems to be a script running in visitor's browsers when on this forum. The script seems to be using your CPU for mining cryptocurrency without your knowledge.

Open up your Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) and watch your CPU spike when on this forum.

I haven't been able to track the exact script but when I do a block of several well known mining scripts using No Coin addon for Firefox I have been able to control all of them. But I think there is just one, could be coinhive or coin-hive that is the culprit.

Anywho, hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Neil...I will pass this on to our tech guy...we thought we had solved the problem...from our end we rebooted and all was well...but I had heard there was still a problem.

Larry

Comment

Assuming that the add will be the thread with the event details - will you make the thread sticky on the top of the page lets say two month in advance, and one-two weeks after.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Thanks Neil...I will pass this on to our tech guy...we thought we had solved the problem...from our end we rebooted and all was well...but I had heard there was still a problem.

Larry
          The message my antivirus is giving is " We've safely aborted connection on coinhive.com because it was infected with JS:Miner-C [Trj]"

Hope this helps.

Comment

Seems like a small price to pay for advertizing. Larry, will that be tax in or tax out? Just need to budget for Banff Open 2018. I will propose to ACA that we advertize here. Much cheaper than $1500 for a Chess Life ad!

Comment

Larry - will this new policy work?

Do you charge:

1) Sylvain Millette for announcing his Wednesday and Friday tournaments held at the CMA offices in Montreal.
              2) Vadim Tsypin when he holds tournaments at the CMA offices in Montreal.
              3) Francis Rodriguez when he announces CMA tournaments in Toronto.
              4) Jean Hébert for announcing a lecture.
              5) Someone announcing a foreign GM tournament.

Suppose you get the FQE (or some other organizer) to pay the annual fee. What's to stop them from advertising tournaments from anyone who asks them (i.e. they become a tournament announcement clearinghouse)?

Comment

Exactly how will this work?

a) How will payments be made?
                b) Who will be moderating and tracking posters to ensure they have paid?
                c) Can an organization like the EOCA pay the subscription for all EOCA tournaments, or will it be separate charges for the individual organizers?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  Assuming that the add will be the thread with the event details - will you make the thread sticky on the top of the page lets say two month in advance, and one-two weeks after.
                  Hi Egidijus,

In the ealy days of Chesstalk we used the sticky feature often. The result was that the list was long and people just ignored those posts. I think organisers updating their info on a regular basis, as we do now, is a better way to go.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                    Exactly how will this work?

a) How will payments be made?
                    a) They can be made with an e-transfer or on a credit card.

b) Who will be moderating and tracking posters to ensure they have paid?
                    b) For now I will moderate. If someone posts without paying, the post will be removed and the person will be banned from the site until payment is made.

c) Can an organization like the EOCA pay the subscription for all EOCA tournaments, or will it be separate charges for the individual organizers?
                    c) Normally it will be the individual organizer. I may take a second look at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Larry - will this new policy work?

Do you charge:

1) Sylvain Millette for announcing his Wednesday and Friday tournaments held at the CMA offices in Montreal.
                      1) The Montreal Chess Club, under the banner which Sylvain runs his events, is a separate legal entity from Chess'n Math and the club will have to pay.

2) Vadim Tsypin when he holds tournaments at the CMA offices in Montreal.
                      2) Use of the Chess'n Math premises for private events still require payment of an advertising fee.

3) Francis Rodriguez when he announces CMA tournaments in Toronto.
                      3) Francis runs these events for the CMA and there will be no charge as we would be charging ourselves.

4) Jean Hébert for announcing a lecture.
                      4) I will have to think about this one. In theory the policy is for tournaments.

5) Someone announcing a foreign GM tournament.
                      5) Are they soliciting participation in the event?

Suppose you get the FQE (or some other organizer) to pay the annual fee. What's to stop them from advertising tournaments from anyone who asks them (i.e. they become a tournament announcement clearinghouse)?
                      For me it is simple. The FQE pays $100 and that allows events which are organized by them to be advertised. Just because an event is FQE rated, does not place it under the FQE umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                        Seems like a small price to pay for advertizing. Larry, will that be tax in or tax out? Just need to budget for Banff Open 2018. I will propose to ACA that we advertize here. Much cheaper than $1500 for a Chess Life ad!
                        Thanks Ian! All prices include the applicable taxes.

Comment

Can the fee be waived if the organizer takes on cma/Strategy Games as a sponsor? i.e. they will include a link to Strategy Games on flyers and on posters at the tournament site. And perhaps have a book table on one day. Or promise to generate over $100 in online sales? Chess books and equipment can be purchased as prizes at their event.

Comment

How about if only results / games are posted, with no prior advertising? That seems to be news. Is this an option, still with no charge, or with a different payment scale?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                              For me it is simple. The FQE pays $100 and that allows events which are organized by them to be advertised. Just because an event is FQE rated, does not place it under the FQE umbrella.
                              By the same toiken, I assume that the ACA should pay the $100 and that the Banff Open would be under the ACA umbrella?

Comment

Working...
                              X