Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell phone dilemna

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Why is there a Zero tolerance rule for cellphones but no Zero tolerance for arriving late for a game? It seems so inconsistent.
    I find most TD's do nothing more than give a frown or a wag of the finger for a cell phone infraction. That's okay with me, forfeit seems extreme. But when the player doesn't have the good sense to take it outside, but instead carries on a conversation at the board:p, well $$ heavy fine!;)

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
    I think the fine for such a call is supposed to be at least $100.00. What is $10.00 worthy nowadays? Don't you think so?
    :)
    $10 = 3 visits to the Hamilton chess club + coffee + coach's corner + loonie.

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Make the penalty $10 PER RING. Best to hang it up as soon as it rings.

This could be a moneymaker for the CFC!
    $10 per ring and $50 for answering it at the board. If the money went to the CFC, I wonder if they could issue a tax receipt?;)

Comment

Re: The answer to the cell phone dilemna is......

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      I'm pretty sure the main intent of the cell phone rule is to prevent cheating first, and annoyance second.
      I also think so. Probably with the games which are on the internet. Can't recall giving advice in the playing room as being much of a problem. The question is if a person who walks by a game understands the position better than the one who is playing the game.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: The answer to the cell phone dilemna is......

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
        I'm pretty sure the main intent of the cell phone rule is to prevent cheating first, and annoyance second.
        Nope. Historically, it was the annoyance. Cell phone usage ramped up quickly in many countries. Canada, with a very reliable landline system, and very expensive cell phones, did not go through that crisis.

At Ottawa CO 2007 we banned all devices (except watches!) from the playing halls. That part worked OK. We even took care of the checked cellphones.

Comment

Re: Those !@#$% cellphones!

I (and the rest of the participants) had a good laugh when the TD's cell phone went off during the Langley Open... :) It was kinda funny after he gave his stern speech the day before.

I personally like the rule that the offender has to buy the TD a case of beer... although I'm not sure how that rule should be applied when the TD's phone goes off... buy the players all a round?

Comment

Working...
          X