Labour Day results from Fredericton and St. John's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour Day results from Fredericton and St. John's ?

I was able to find results for all the events referred to in the Labour Day thread, except the Philippe Brunet Memorial in Fredericton. In addition, there was a tournament in St. John's but the announcement appeared after I stopped updating said page.

Re: Labour Day results from Fredericton and St. John's ?

Philippe Brunet Memorial 2009
    Fredericton, NB
    September 5 – 7
    6 rounds
    Time Control: 40/120, 20/60, SD/30
    Prizes: Plaques and chess books (no cash)
    Andrew Sullivan of Fredericton and Rod Hill of Saint John tied for first with 4.5 points
    10 played (6 of whom were 1700+)
    90% participation in the optional Tie Day on Sunday :)

Comment

Final standings of the 2009 NL Championships

Since the tournament is not yet rated, here are the results with ratings calculated using the CFC rating calculator:

Normally, if there is a tie for first in the NL Championships, a playoff takes place to see who gets their name on the trophy. I have had discussions with Anthony Leonard and Alick Tsui, who was the Tournament Director, to see if we could get both of our names on.

Regardless of any match or decision, I would feel equally as disappointed if Anthony's name did not appear as I would if mine didn't. Anthony is a relative newcomer to chess, and played the best tournament of his young chess career. Even though I had a 3-0 record against him coming into this tournament, and I had a rather decent lead in the game, Anthony showed true grit and took advantage of my one major weakness: nerves.

I normally don't post games that I lose, but I'm actually particularly proud of Anthony for beating me. That's about the only time you will ever hear me say that I'm proud even though I lost, although pride was the furthest thing from my mind for the remainder of that day :D

Jordan S. Berson - Anthony Leonard
      NL Open 2009, Round 4
      1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 e6 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bh4 dxc4 7.e4 g5 8.Bg3 b5 9.Be2 Bb7 10.h4 g4 11.Ne5 h5 12.O-O Nbd7 13.f3 Nxe5 14.Bxe5 Rg8 15.g3 a6 16.Bxf6 Qxf6 17.fxg4 Qg6 18.g5 Rg7 19.Rf6 Qh7 20.Bxh5 O-O-O

I have no idea why I didn't simply play 21.Bxf7 Rxf7 22.g6 here, but it seems winning. 21.Rh6 Qg8 22.Rf6 Be7 23.Rf3 Bxg5 24.hxg5 Rxg5 25.Bxf7 Rxg3+ 26.Kh2 Rg2+ 27.Kh1 Qg5 28.Bxe6+ Kb8 29.Bh3 Rh8 30.Rf8+?? Here I played way too fast after I had already analyzed this in prior moves (obviously not well enough), and I missed the mate that follows. I was afraid that after 30.Qf1 Rxb2 I would have little chance in the endgame since my King was so poorly protected. 30...Rxf8 31. Bxg2 Qh4+ 0-1 Oops!

Here's a legacy: In each of the last three NL Championships, I have lost exactly one game, and the player that beat me went on to win the tournament. This year Anthony beat me, and I beat myself in that game, so we fittingly tied for first :)
      Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Saturday, 19th September, 2009, 10:42 AM. Reason: Updated the table to include post-tournament ratings
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: Final standings of the 2009 NL Championships

Hi Jordan:

Nice report. Consider sending it in immediately to Tony ( tficzere@telus.net ) for Monday's first Issue of the CFC E-newsletter. That way it gets wide distribution to all members, not just us discussion board addicts.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X