Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bizarre situation from rd. 5 at University event

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    I think Gary Ng has an obligation to respond. To not respond would indicate he has something to hide.
    To respond to what? What exactly are you alleging?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      To respond to what? What exactly are you alleging?
      Peter, Frank is just doing his usual schtick trying to invent an issue where none exists. In this case, perhaps it is a smokescreen to hide disappointment at the fact his student would agree to a draw without playing any moves. There are many questions here which Frank has failed to answer.

Comment

If players handed me a scoresheet indicating 1.b4, draw by agreement at any tournament I was directing, I would declare the game lost by both players and make sure it was rated accordingly.

Comment

Ooooooooooo!! And suddenly, there it was, a gratuitous personal attack on Hans Jung tucked away in the middle of a thread about Frank Dixon's latest imaginary ethical issue. What's up, Danny? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Were you a victim of inadequate potty training and now you're mad at the world?

This is ChessTalk after all - a place where people usually (sometimes?) talk about things related to chess, right? And blindfold chess is related to chess, right? And just recently there was a book published on blindfold chess which Chessbase said was "...likely to be of widespread interest throughout all parts of the chess world..." (link: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5137 ). And publication of such a book was bound to be of particularly great interest to blindfold chess afficionados, right? And so it shouldn't really be a big surprise that people like Hans Jung and Jonathan Berry and others come to a site like this to talk about something they're enthused about, right? I suppose they sould have asked for your permission first.

What I find particulary irritating about your post is that Hans Jung, whom I've known for almost 35 years, is a good man and a gentleman. He doesn't deserve a gratuitous slagging just because he's a big fan of blindfold chess (as well as one of Canada's top blindfold practitioners).
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            66 players is 33 games. 16 1/2 games per arbiter.

What's so hard about keeping track of 16 1/2 games.
            Well, it would be difficult to attend to each game in the first five seconds of the round, as would have been required here to catch this error.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
              Well, it would be difficult to attend to each game in the first five seconds of the round, as would have been required here to catch this error.
              The FIDE rule doesn't appear to require what you contend. Did you read the rule which I posted?

Everyone who directs chess events should be familiar with the rule for a situation with players using the wrong colour pieces. It's as elementary as walking and chewing gum at the same time. It's like getting an urge in the middle of the night and knowing you have to walk to the washroom.

C'mon, David. Tell us you are putting us on. :)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Frank,

To clarify, I played black and Raja played White like we were supposed to. Raja played 1.b4! and offered me a draw. I laughed, considered, and accepted. I did not somehow cheat by tricking my 2392-rated soon-to-be-IM opponent and the rest of his team that we could have 3 whites in that round, if that’s what you’re implying. I don’t appreciate you attacking my team’s result and myself publicly, when a simple email would have cleared the issue.

Gary Ng

Comment

Bon Appetit

Originally posted by Gary Ng View Post
                  Frank,

To clarify, I played black and Raja played White like we were supposed to. Raja played 1.b4! and offered me a draw. I laughed, considered, and accepted. I did not somehow cheat by tricking my 2392-rated soon-to-be-IM opponent and the rest of his team that we could have 3 whites in that round, if that’s what you’re implying. I don’t appreciate you attacking my team’s result and myself publicly, when a simple email would have cleared the issue.

Gary Ng
                  The whole thing was a red herring from the beginning, predicated on the premise that a FIDE untitled Nova Scotian sophisticate and his chums used mind control to convince an internationally experienced FIDE titled opponent and his teammates that they only get one white in a four board match.

Frank: Your crow is ready.

Comment

Frank, if you're looking for a real ethical issue to deal with, then check out this thread: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1015

Those who live in glass houses, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      The FIDE rule doesn't appear to require what you contend. Did you read the rule which I posted?

Everyone who directs chess events should be familiar with the rule for a situation with players using the wrong colour pieces.

C'mon, David. Tell us you are putting us on. :)
                      You posted:

Originally posted by Gary Ruben
                      7.2 If a game has begun with colours reversed, then it shall continue, unless the arbiter rules otherwise.

I suppose that's there because some arbiters notice while the game is still in progress.
                      The implication was that these arbites were somehow negligent in not noticing in this 1 move, 5 second game that colors were wrong (which apparently they were not). It would have been fairly impossible to expect the arbiters in this tournament to notice that the players played their "game" with the wrong colors while still in progress.

I'm also not sure this stated rule makes it clear what the arbiter does if the game is already over, as would have been the case (if this mistake had actually happened). For example, let's say these two had played their instagame, walked off to the park to play blitz. What does the arbiter do then?

Comment

The rule seems to say that the arbiter can do something, or nothing; either one is OK. So the answer to your question seems to be, the arbiter does nothing and everything is in compliance with the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I'm also not sure this stated rule makes it clear what the arbiter does if the game is already over, as would have been the case (if this mistake had actually happened). For example, let's say these two had played their instagame, walked off to the park to play blitz. What does the arbiter do then?
                          Dixon said he was the assistant arbiter. The arbiter was an IA. I suggest to you the arbiter knew the rule and what to do. The assistant should have taken this up with the person he was assisting.

This entire thing is very uncool and gives the appearance of a poorly run event. The redeeming factor is the one ply draw. You have to admire players who know a draw when they see one.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

LMAOS x 10 characters
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                            X