Dave Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Brand

More sad news for the chess community as Dave passed away last week from Esophogeal cancer.A private funeral has already been held.I met Dave through Bryon in 1992 and he visited North Bay on many occasions to cheer Bryon on in his fight with cancer.He was very quiet and private and specifically requested that I not post about his illness.We(Rodney and I ) had hoped he could stay with us after his release from hospital but it was not to be.Bryon would spend hours discussing positions with Dave and said he was a much better player than his rating suggested.He was a fixture at the chessclub on Vaughn road and would regale me with hilarious stories of the goings on there.He will be missed.

Re: Dave Brand

Dave Brand had one of the finest of personalities. A quiet, good-natured man, who tended to listen more than to talk , and when he did talk , always with something original and interesting to say.

Dave was a librarian by occupation. He lived a very modest life, living above a variety store in the St. Clair - Christie area. In the evenings, he practically lived at the Toronto Chess Club on Vaughan Rd ( in the 1980's ). He liked to play cards, backgammon, and chess -- often until sunrise the next morning. He played all games solidly.
    Last edited by Anthony Cheron; Saturday, 24th January, 2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I remember Dave well from when the club was on Vaughan Rd. He came when it opened and left when it closed. Often he preferred kibitzing or playing over the books more than playing games himself but he did pass 2200 on the speed list. He would have been master class at postal also but slow tournaments he didn't like, especially as he often blundered away winning positions. One year circa 1977 he tried a World open class, -1800 I think but either there were too many sandbaggers or Dave was too nervous.

Comment

I remember Mike Diamond induced Dave to play in a weekend tournament back in the early 90's.I believe it was held on John Street in Toronto.He won $ 300 in that tournament! He was very "frugal" and hated to part with the entry fee he said,but I know tournament play made him a nervous wreck.I know when he visited us he would spend hours playing speed chess on line and loved to contribute to Bryon's analysis of various positions.I laughingly remember a conversation with Bryon when I had told him I ran into Dave on St Clair and he had brought me a coffee .Bryon told me Dave must really like me because he hadn't brought him a coffe in over twenty years ! He also told me that Dave was one of the most genuine and honest people he had ever met and over the years I learned that to be true.

Comment

Working...
        X