Kingston Open day one nutshell, and rd. 4 pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston Open day one nutshell, and rd. 4 pairings

Day one of the 2009 Kingston Open is in the books. It's a small but strong event this year.

Leaders after three rounds:
    Patrick Kirby (2195) 2.5, Alvah Mayo (2129) 2.5, Jonathan Farine (1776) 2.5.
    Yuanling Yuan (2256), Canada's top-ranked female player, heads a group with 2 points.

Pairings for round 4:
    Patrick Kirby -- Alvah Mayo
    Yuanling Yuan -- Jonathan Farine
    Bill Doubleday -- Peter Arseneau
    Nick Gellner -- Allan Munro
    Luke Peristy -- Eric Van Dusen
    Kalra -- Schaper
    Wing -- Zhou
    Liu -- Lukezich
    1-point bye: Paulsen

Kingston Open 2009 final results

The 2009 Kingston Open, hosted by the Queen's University Chess Club, wrapped up a few minutes ago. I don't think I have ever seen better fighting spirit in a weekend event! Upsets were the order of the day. Congratulations to all the players who battled so hard.

Patrick Kirby (2195) and Alvah Mayo (2129), both of Ottawa, tied for first with 4 points out of 5. Both were unbeaten, and their round 4 game was a real barnburner. I'll put it up on chess5.com in a couple of days. Kirby was better for most of the middlegame, but Mayo complicated fiercely, and managed to save a draw with both players in time pressure. In the final round, Bill Doubleday of Ottawa defeated NM Yuanling Yuan (2256), currently Canada's top-ranked female player, on the White side of a King's Indian Defence, in the same variation where he defeated GM Bator Sambuev in the RA Winter Open last month. It's a wild game which will be emailed to me by Bill, for posting this coming week. Yuan drew with both Mayo and Kirby, while Kirby defeated Doubleday on the White side of an English Attack Sicilian. I have the scores of a half-dozen more of the better efforts by the top players, which will be posted on chess5.com.

Peter Arseneau of Ottawa, former CFC Executive Director, won the U2000 prize with 3/5, while Nick Gellner of Cornwall, a Queen's student in first year, won the U1700 prize with 3.5/5.

Alex Lambruschini came in from Halifax to direct the tournament and did a splendid job, assisted by yours truly. There were no disputes, and the players showed fine sportsmanship. I filled in and played a few games as the "odd player" (fits my personality, I think), most notably the "Stakes Game" (for $50 put up by Neil Frarey) against Alvah Mayo, when Alvah's first-round opponent didn't show up. Alvah played great and won in excellent style. In the last round, Eric Van Dusen, after he had won his tournament game quickly, asked me to play a rated game with him at G/90, and this was pretty crazy as well. My rust from inactivity certainly showed, as I got short of time and had to agree to a draw after being up a rook earlier in the game (for massive complications as compensation, mind you). This game will go to chess5.com, along with the "Stakes Game".

Comment

Re: Kingston Open day one nutshell, and rd. 4 pairings

Mayo defends the pride of the Maritimes.

Comment

Kingston Open 2009 final results

Mayo did defend the pride of the Maritimes. The Dixon - Mayo game is on the ottawachessclub.com site. I tried to log onto chess5.com just now, to post it there, but their system is causing problems right now, so I'll have to try again later. Very nice game by Alvah.

Comment

Working...
        X