Chess in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in Toronto

I'm going to be visiting Toronto next week (Feb 22-27) for business but should be free in the evenings. How can I locate some chess?

Scarborough CC

Hi David:

The Scarborough CC will be open Thursday night, Feb. 26, from 7-11. We will be starting our Club Championship that night.

But unfortunately, there is no casual chess. All members of the club play in the CFC-rated tournaments we run each Thursday. So it would only be a chance to watch some games - we will have likely 5 masters, 4 experts and 1 A Class player in the Championship round robin, so some of the games may be quite good.

Bob

Comment

Re: Chess in Toronto

Why don't you skip Toronto and come to Vancouver instead? Lots of coffeehouse chess every day and night!

Comment

Montreal is only an hour's flying time from Toronto :)

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          I'm going to be visiting Toronto next week (Feb 22-27) for business but should be free in the evenings. How can I locate some chess?
          What are your plans? Where will you stay?

February 22 (Sunday) is the last day for the HH Reading Week Open (see http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1036)

February 23 (Monday) - you may come to CC at WCRC to meet me :) (details http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=594)

February 24 (Tuesday) - Toronto Closed at Willowdale CC. (see http://torontochess.org/drupal/node/136 )

February 25 (Wednesday) - hmm. Free time. OK, you may visit Strategy Games shop :D Open till 6 p.m. ()

February 26 (Thursday) - Scarborough. see Bob's message.

February 27 (Friday) - blitz at Delaware CC.

Chess places in the Greater Toronto Area

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            What are your plans? Where will you stay?
            Im staying at some place called the King Edward Hotel which I guess is in downtown Toronto? Busy with a seminar Monday to Friday all day. Will definitely see about stopping in at some of those events, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
              Why don't you skip Toronto and come to Vancouver instead? Lots of coffeehouse chess every day and night!
              Too many weirdos in Vancouver :D:D

Comment

The King Eddy is on King Street, just a block east of the subway station at King and Yonge (Also at King and Yonge will be the Toronto Open).

If it was warmer there would have been chess activity at the outdoor tables, Queen and Church, 3 blocks north of the hotel. They were playing in the College Park food court but got kicked out a month ago.

There used to be chess on Sunday nights at the Electric Bean coffee shop on Queen St. East (including master Robert Morrison).

You could also visit the Reference Library on Yonge north of Bloor to look at their old chess books and magazines (or just use the Internet), open til 8:30pm.

If there wasn't a tournament at Hart House (and Moscow) you could have played against masters in the Saturday afternoon speed tournament in the Irish pub on the north side of Danforth two blocks east of Donlands station.

If you visit Scarborough C.C. on Thursday you may want to hook up with Karl Sellars, who is the local expert on doublechess (bughouse) openings.

Feel free to email me if you need a local tour guide.

Comment

Working...
                X