Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

How does it work if no bids are received? Will the events still occur?

Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
    How does it work if no bids are received? Will the events still occur?
    I don't see how the events can take place if nobody wants to hold them... The CFC certainly doesn't
    have any resources of its own to use. The best that could happen in that case is someone gets a lot
    of last minute pressure to hold the event and then a miracle happens and ... Seems to me I have seen
    that movie before.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

It is unlikely that anyone will organize the Canadian Closed (the last one was in 2012 in Montreal)... It will probably end up like in 2011, when nobody wanted to organize it and the CFC had to give financial support to Hal Bond ($2863 according to the 2011 financials, but one should check in the public financial statements) to organize it at the very last minute.

For the CO I feel there will probably be one, although without the CYCC it might also be a last minute tournament with high entry fees and low prizes...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Why do people not want to organize the Canadian Closed? Are there possibilities for FM and IM titles to be given out in 2015?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Yes titles could be given. The problem is that organizing such a tournament is very expensive and can hardly be done without sponsors. From my experience in the 2012 Closed, without support from the CFC or sponsorship (there has been very impressive Canadian Closed with the support of Sid Belzberg, for example), organizing a Canadian Closed can be very difficult.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Too bad Sid Belzberg left us.

Comment

Too bad Sid Belzberg left us.
              Was that the actual point of this thread? lol
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

No, it wasn't Kerry. I am just trying to understand the CFC process. Too bad we don't have a Canadian Championship every year or at minimum every two years. It must be frustrating for our top professional players (Hansen, Sambuev, Gerzhoy, etc...)

Comment

I thought they had that championship in the years when it's a qualifier for the World Cup. The winner gets something worth while.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

No, it wasn't Kerry. I am just trying to understand the CFC process. Too bad we don't have a Canadian Championship every year or at minimum every two years. It must be frustrating for our top professional players (Hansen, Sambuev, Gerzhoy, etc...)
                    No top canadian player cares about the Canadian Closed as the only thing it's known for is giving 2200s a premature IM title. They would much rather have more than one strong tournament a year (2 in the years that Canadian Open doesn't coincide with Quebec Open) in Canada. Edmonton International doesn't count since it's a round robin and it's limited to mostly Edmonton players and maybe one or two outside IM's.
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                      No top canadian player cares about the Canadian Closed as the only thing it's known for is giving 2200s a premature IM title. They would much rather have more than one strong tournament a year (2 in the years that Canadian Open doesn't coincide with Quebec Open) in Canada. Edmonton International doesn't count since it's a round robin and it's limited to mostly Edmonton players and maybe one or two outside IM's.
                      I agree with Bindi. We should have more norm tournaments in Canada.
                      Speaking of Canadian Open why are the U2200 players allowed to play in the 2400plus section?

http://echecsmontreal.ca/co/PreinscriptionsCO.html

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                        I agree with Bindi. We should have more norm tournaments in Canada.
                        Speaking of Canadian Open why are the U2200 players allowed to play in the 2400plus section?

http://echecsmontreal.ca/co/PreinscriptionsCO.html
                        The section is technically open to all (although we did refuse registrations from players who didn't have a FIDE rating or had one that was too low). The registrations fees are based on the rating. This is allows the organizer to partly finance this section (as let's be honest, a section like this one can cost more than $40 000).

That said, I don't think there's a lot of U2200 players. Some people, such as WIM Fleites Marti are showed with their FQE rating (our system is very capricious) or have higher CFC rating (like FM Yuanchen Zhang). With the actual ratio of IMs and GMs, having a norm should definitely not be a problem for someone who performs well. Plus, a couple of weaker foreign players allowed us to get our 20 foreign players required for the norms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                          We should have more norm tournaments in Canada.
                          Who shall pay for these tournaments? Can the "first Saturday" scheme survive in Canada?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                            The section is technically open to all (although we did refuse registrations from players who didn't have a FIDE rating or had one that was too low). The registrations fees are based on the rating. This is allows the organizer to partly finance this section (as let's be honest, a section like this one can cost more than $40 000).

That said, I don't think there's a lot of U2200 players. Some people, such as WIM Fleites Marti are showed with their FQE rating (our system is very capricious) or have higher CFC rating (like FM Yuanchen Zhang). With the actual ratio of IMs and GMs, having a norm should definitely not be a problem for someone who performs well. Plus, a couple of weaker foreign players allowed us to get our 20 foreign players required for the norms.
                            I think you're right as long as they aren't too many U2200. Playing with one U2200 won't hurt your norm chances because you can adjust the rating to 2200

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Therefore, who wants to organize those Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015??

Comment

Working...
                              X