Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

Canadian Open - nothing as yet.
    Canadian Closed - nothing posted anywhere on the CFC site. I had to go back a few months worth of Chesstalk and CFC Chess Forum postings to find the info. Is it still on?

FIDE Zone 2.2 (Canadian) Championship July 9-17
    Dates: July 10 – 17, 2015
    Venue: Peter Clark Hall, Guelph University Centre
    Format: 11 Round Swiss

Eligibility:
    All players must meet the requirements of Article 507 in the CFC Handbook, and be eligible to compete for Canada in the World Chess Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan, September 10 – October 4, 2015. Exceptions are subject to approval by the CFC Executive.
    Players with a CFC, FQE or FIDE rating over 2100 as per the first updated lists of May 2015 for the CFC, FQE and FIDE.
    Provincial Association and Territorial nominees, with a minimum rating of 2000.
    FIDE titled FM, WIM or higher
    Canadian Junior Champion and Canadian Women’s Champion

Schedule: TBA

Time Control: G/90 + 30 seconds from move one.

Tie Breaks:
    In the event of equal scores after 11 rounds, the following tie break methods shall be used in the order listed:
    Direct Encounter
    Most Blacks
    Buccholz
    Sum of progressive scores

Entry Fees:
    $250 per player. Free entry to GMs and IMs.

Accommodations
    Special rate of $93.99 per night includes full hot breakfast at Best Western Royal Brock Hotel, 716 Gordon Street (across the road from University). Free accommodation and meal allowance based on double occupancy for defending champion, vice champion and GMs.

Prizes: Cash Prize Fund and travel prize to World Cup based on paid entries.

Comment

Maybe the CFC should just ask for more money from the FQE?

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
        I agree with Bindi. We should have more norm tournaments in Canada.
        Speaking of Canadian Open why are the U2200 players allowed to play in the 2400plus section?

http://echecsmontreal.ca/co/PreinscriptionsCO.html
        Normally the Canadian Open has been one large section with sectional prizes! Think it has only been in the last decade or so that they have made separate sections

Thou might be wrong about this?

Comment

Re: Canadian Open 2015 - Canadian Closed 2015

I was considering a bid, with like minded people, for a budget of $50,000, but an entry condition of ELO 2580 or hgher. That way, we will quickly convert it to an interesting match, worthy of chess, and, with sufficient lead time, a motivation to expand it beyond a match.

In the meantime, I prefer seeing the current CFC have a chess-boxing round-robin match, and I will certainly sponsor that.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
            Edmonton International doesn't count since it's a round robin and it's limited to mostly Edmonton players and maybe one or two outside IM's.
            And outside Canadian GMs too. GM's Kovalyov and Hansen are Canadian, but not from Edmonton, and they have played in the Edmonton International quite a few times. GM Hansen was invited to this year's event, but was already booked into another event.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
              I was considering a bid, with like minded people, for a budget of $50,000, but an entry condition of ELO 2580 or hgher. That way, we will quickly convert it to an interesting match, worthy of chess, and, with sufficient lead time, a motivation to expand it beyond a match.

In the meantime, I prefer seeing the current CFC have a chess-boxing round-robin match, and I will certainly sponsor that.

Brian
              Brian, chess boxing?? - say it isnt so.

Comment

Hi Hans,

Allow me to clarify, I meant a chess-boxing round robin between the CFC Executive members.

Brian

Comment

Well I will have to run for executive. Old as I am I would train for that. I wouldnt mind getting in a few knockouts and checkmates. Do you think people would watch?

Comment

Why not step into the octagon of the 21st century and go with mma-chess? Boxing is for checker players!

Comment

Working...
                    X