Updated players list: Canadian Open 2009, Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated players list: Canadian Open 2009, Edmonton

Register before April 15th and save $40. Fully refundable until June 1st.

See the updated players list and registration info at:
    http://monroi.com/2009-canadian-open...p-players.html

If we made the pairings today, the top boards in round one would be:

GM Alexei Shirov 2748 vs Jason Manley 2038
    GM Michael Adams 2712 vs Daniel Abrahams 2007

By Mail Send Entry to:

Edmonton Chess Club
    #204, 10840 124 st
    Edmonton, AB
    T5M 0H3

Or register online at
    http://monroi.com/2009-canadian-open...-register.html

ENTRY FEE:

$120 before April 15th

$140 between April 15th and June 1st

$160 after June 1st and at the door

Free for GM, IM, WGM, WIM
    $30 discount for juniors <18, FM, WFM (only one discount/player)
    Last edited by Micah Hughey; Friday, 3rd April, 2009, 01:53 PM.

Re: Updated players list: Canadian Open 2009, Edmonton

Wow, top board! That would be difficult to say the least, but I'm sure I'd learn something. Hopefully the pairings stand pat (though, of course, with many more players).

Comment

Hi Micah:

With the new April 1 rating list, maybe you can update the top player ratings. Hikaru has now broken the 2700 barrier and stands now at 2701 !!

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately Hikaru Nakamura dropped out yesterday (I'm disappointed and I don't think his reason was valid, but I'm not going to sue either.) We are already actively searching for a top-level replacement, and of course I will announce it here when we get one.

Micah

Comment

I have to say I was rather surprised to see his name on the player list after I had seen the roster in San Sebastian.

http://chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html (scroll down a bit to see the lineup)
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I just wanted to Micah's post here on Chess Talk. First of all, I want to thank him greatly for his efforts to organize this year’s Canadian Open, and I wish nothing but the best for the event, chess in Alberta as well as the rest of Canada. Micah has done, and is continuing to do a fantastic job with this year’s Canadian Open, and I am truly heartbroken that I will not be able to participate. As most of you know, Canada is very much a home to me, as it was for a large part of this past year.

Micah wrote that he didn’t believe my reason was valid. As you can see on many sites, the field for the San Sebastian tournament has been announced, and the event conflicts with Edmonton. My career goal is to improve beyond my current #30 world ranking, and one of the ways for me to achieve this is to play in high level round robins. Despite the fact that there are only four players from this hemisphere in the Top 100, it is still very difficult for me to get invitations to such events, especially at a slow time control, even though I have won them in the past! I am working hard towards the day when I can play Wijk aan Zee, Linares, Dortmund, Amber, Sofia, and many of the other supertournaments.

As to the details of the conflict, I would have not indicated my participation in Edmonton had I known about the San Sebastian event, as I did not know that such an event was even in the works, or that they would be interested in having me as a participant. All that aside, I have made it a personal policy to always be ethical and respectful of organizers and the often thankless work that they do, and I would never do such a thing as break a signed contract. In this case, there was no contract in place, but the decision was still very difficult once I was presented with this opportunity in San Sebastian. I agonized between getting the opportunity to play a category 18 event versus such an impressive field, and playing in Canada in such an exciting event versus an impressive field! In the end, I made the decision to play in San Sebastian, but it was not an easy one.

Again, I wish nothing but the best of luck for the Canadian Open, and I have no doubts the event will be a great success. I simply wanted to set the record straight and make it clear that I did nothing unethical or illegal here, and any implications that I did are well off the mark.

Regards,
            Hikaru Nakamura

Comment

I just wanted to respond to Micah's post here on Chess Talk. First of all, I want to thank him greatly for his efforts to organize this year’s Canadian Open, and I wish nothing but the best for the event, chess in Alberta as well as the rest of Canada. Micah has done, and is continuing to do a fantastic job with this year’s Canadian Open, and I am truly heartbroken that I will not be able to participate. As most of you know, Canada is very much a home to me, as it was for a large part of this past year.

Micah wrote that he didn’t believe my reason was valid. As you can see on many sites, the field for the San Sebastian tournament has been announced, and the event conflicts with Edmonton. My career goal is to improve beyond my current #30 world ranking, and one of the ways for me to achieve this is to play in high level round robins. Despite the fact that there are only four players from this hemisphere in the Top 100, it is still very difficult for me to get invitations to such events, especially at a slow time control, even though I have won them in the past! I am working hard towards the day when I can play Wijk aan Zee, Linares, Dortmund, Amber, Sofia, and many of the other supertournaments.

As to the details of the conflict, I would have not indicated my participation in Edmonton had I known about the San Sebastian event, as I did not know that such an event was even in the works, or that they would be interested in having me as a participant. All that aside, I have made it a personal policy to always be ethical and respectful of organizers and the often thankless work that they do, and I would never do such a thing as break a signed contract. In this case, there was no contract in place, but the decision was still very difficult once I was presented with this opportunity in San Sebastian. I agonized between getting the opportunity to play a category 18 event versus such an impressive field, and playing in Canada in such an exciting event versus an impressive field! In the end, I made the decision to play in San Sebastian, but it was not an easy one.

Again, I wish nothing but the best of luck for the Canadian Open, and I have no doubts the event will be a great success. I simply wanted to set the record straight and make it clear that I did nothing unethical or illegal here, and any implications that I did are well off the mark.

Regards,
              Hikaru Nakamura

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                I simply wanted to set the record straight and make it clear that I did nothing unethical or illegal here, and any implications that I did are well off the mark.
                While legality can be shown, ethicality is entirely subjective. OR IS IT? The ethical relativist would certainly claim it is! I'm taking a course on ethics this semester. It is ridiculously easy. Like, it's not just easy. It's easy to a ridiculous extent. The text was penned by the father of former US Chess Champion Stuart Rachels. WOAH!

Anyway, you told Micah that you would play in the tournament, then you decided to play in a different tournament instead. Is breaking your word unethical? As several golden age emcees to whom I frequently listen say, "Word is bond." Being of New York, you should know that...

Regardless, Micah, do not fear. You can add my name to the list of star attendees. You can even give me top billing, should you so choose. Adoring masses will come from afar to bask in my aura and watch me pace whilst donning earplugs.

Noam and I will be winning a bughouse tournament in Victoria next weekend. We will be wearing costumes: most triumphant costumes, one might be inclined to note. If we receive praise from awe-struck observers (we will), we may also wear costumes for the bughouse tournament at the Canadian Open. Eff Shirov, people can see me and Noam wearing costumes!!! COSTUMES!!!
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                  If we receive praise from awe-struck observers (we will), we may also wear costumes for the bughouse tournament at the Canadian Open. Eff Shirov, people can see me and Noam wearing costumes!!! COSTUMES!!!
                  Could I receive an appearance fee just for attending and having to see this? =]

PS... It seems a little iffy to tell the organizers you will play, then back out, even if there was no contract involved.

Comment

Bah, I'm not upset anymore. It was a momentary thing.
                    We will try to get another 2700 player, and hopefully we will get GM Nakamura for a future event.

But think of the waste! In preparation for Edmonton, Hikaru added all the girls on my facebook account! Now he won't get to use any of that "preparation". :)

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Hughey View Post
                      Bah, I'm not upset anymore. It was a momentary thing.
                      We will try to get another 2700 player, and hopefully we will get GM Nakamura for a future event.

But think of the waste! In preparation for Edmonton, Hikaru added all the girls on my facebook account! Now he won't get to use any of that "preparation". :)

As of today there's 31 players over 2700, and there will probably be more by July... It's probably not impossible to find another one

Comment

Hi Micah,
                        Are Kaminski's brothers not going to play in The Canadian Open? Have you heard something from them? Rustam doesn't allow them to play? I don't think so.
                        :)
                        Regards,

Caesar Posylek

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                          Hi Micah,
                          Are Kaminski's brothers not going to play in The Canadian Open? Have you heard something from them? Rustam doesn't allow them to play? I don't think so.
                          :)
                          Regards,

Caesar Posylek

Heh heh. Rustam Kaminski. Heh heh.
                          Last edited by Micah Hughey; Friday, 3rd April, 2009, 01:45 PM. Reason: Misspelled Rustam's last name.

Comment

Yo Ben, you going to the Canadian Open? Let's get some people together and have a kegger.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                              I have to say I was rather surprised to see his name on the player list after I had seen the roster in San Sebastian.

http://chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html (scroll down a bit to see the lineup)

Tom, what matters is which event he committed himself to first, the Canadian Open in Edmonton or this event in San Sebastian. I know Micah Hughey has been working extremely hard trying to make the Canadian Open in Edmonton one of the best in terms of the number of top-rated players participating, and also in terms of the venue,and all of the conditions surrounding the tournament, which chess players of all levels (but especially top-rated players) want. Because GM Nakamura did not sign a contract he seems to feel he is off the hook for not having to play in the Canadian Open in Edmonton,and I am not privy to what he said or promised to Micah. However, in law, a verbal committment is as binding as a written committment, as long as certain conditions have been met.

My problem with GM Nakamuras' decision, is that he seems to feel that the biggest chess tournament of the year in Canada is not as important to him as his playing in a tournament in Europe. He is not even a permanent resident of Canada, and already he has decided to forgo playing in Canada's most prestigious open chess tournament. Instead he would rather play in Europe.This decision seems self-serving, and he seems to forget, that in order to qualify for the next World Chess Championship, he is going to have to play in a regional qualification tournament. Does he expect the Canadian Chess Federation to give him a spot in the Canadian closed (at the expense of a Canadian citizen or resident), when he has chosen to play in Europe,rather than in Canada's strongest swiss tournament of the year?

Comment

Working...
                              X