Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Updated players list: Canadian Open 2009, Edmonton

Originally posted by Wayne Mendryk View Post
    My problem with GM Nakamuras' decision, is that he seems to feel that the biggest chess tournament of the year in Canada is not as important to him as his playing in a tournament in Europe. He is not even a permanent resident of Canada, and already he has decided to forgo playing in Canada's most prestigious open chess tournament. Instead he would rather play in Europe.This decision seems self-serving, and he seems to forget, that in order to qualify for the next World Chess Championship, he is going to have to play in a regional qualification tournament. Does he expect the Canadian Chess Federation to give him a spot in the Canadian closed (at the expense of a Canadian citizen or resident), when he has chosen to play in Europe,rather than in Canada's strongest swiss tournament of the year?

Your extrapolations are awesome :D

Comment

Wayne,

I'm over it. And GM Nakamura lives in New York again, not Canada. I don't agree with the reasons for his decision to back out, but I do accept it.
      Maybe he'll play here in a later tournament.

Micah

Originally posted by Wayne Mendryk View Post
      Tom, what matters is which event he committed himself to first, the Canadian Open in Edmonton or this event in San Sebastian. I know Micah Hughey has been working extremely hard trying to make the Canadian Open in Edmonton one of the best in terms of the number of top-rated players participating, and also in terms of the venue,and all of the conditions surrounding the tournament, which chess players of all levels (but especially top-rated players) want. Because GM Nakamura did not sign a contract he seems to feel he is off the hook for not having to play in the Canadian Open in Edmonton,and I am not privy to what he said or promised to Micah. However, in law, a verbal committment is as binding as a written committment, as long as certain conditions have been met.

My problem with GM Nakamuras' decision, is that he seems to feel that the biggest chess tournament of the year in Canada is not as important to him as his playing in a tournament in Europe. He is not even a permanent resident of Canada, and already he has decided to forgo playing in Canada's most prestigious open chess tournament. Instead he would rather play in Europe.This decision seems self-serving, and he seems to forget, that in order to qualify for the next World Chess Championship, he is going to have to play in a regional qualification tournament. Does he expect the Canadian Chess Federation to give him a spot in the Canadian closed (at the expense of a Canadian citizen or resident), when he has chosen to play in Europe,rather than in Canada's strongest swiss tournament of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
        As of today there's 31 players over 2700, and there will probably be more by July... It's probably not impossible to find another one

It's not hard to FIND them (I have the emails of the top 100 players in the world). But it's like the old announcer's joke:

"We've interviewed hundreds of GM's, searching for the very best. And this is the one...who would work for the money we offered."

Comment

"Blue Sky, Black where's my money"

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
          Regardless, Micah, do not fear. You can add my name to the list of star attendees.

Ben,

After your post above, I set up a lawnchair next to the Edmonton Chess Club mailbox, downed two pots of "boiling coffee" ("Columbian", if ya know what I mean") and stayed there, unblinking, for the next 48 hours, waiting for your entry fee to arrive in the mail.

My disappointment is epic. If your cheque doesn't arrive soon, I guess we'll just cancel the tournament or something.

Micah

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Hughey View Post
            Heh heh. Rustam Kaminski. Heh heh.
            Hi Micah,
            That was your description of their father - don't you remember, when we talked last time in Montreal at the Canadian Open?
            :)

Comment

What seems to be getting lost here is just how wonderful an opportunity San Sebastian will be for Hikaru. Karpov, Svidler, Kasimzhanov, and more; wow!

Its obvious the decision wasn't easy for him; going back on your word never should be. But in this case, Hikaru absolutely made the right (albeit unpopular) choice. He's still young enough (21) to have a realistic chance of improving further, and to keep improving, he needs to seize the rare opportunities like San Sebastian when they come.

Thumping us all in the Canadian Open can wait until he's older, and he has a much higher rating :)

Comment

Hmmm, yes it would have been nice if Hikaru had honoured his commitment, but he has informed the Director well in advance of his change of plans and that's that. Personally, I was never drawn to play in an event due to which big names may be participating. One thing Hikaru could do would be to try to assist the committee in finding another strong GM to replace him. He no doubt has contacts in the chess world that many of us could only dream of. To say, "Sorry, I won't be playing because..." is a world of difference from, "I won't be playing, BUT I have found another 2700+ GM who would be willing to play in Edmonton."

I do find interesting the comment that Hikaru's actions were "self-serving". As an individual sport I would have to say that life as a chess professional is about as self-serving as one can get. Travel, appearance fees, negotiating, collecting prize-money, lodgings, etc are all done on an individual basis, unless one has (can afford) a solid team behind him/her.

Kudos for the organizer having taken the high road on this issue. I am sure the Canadian Open will be a huge success and hopefully we will see Hikaru in a future event on our soil.

Comment

GM Hikaru Nakamura made a right decision to play in the more prestigeous chess tournament than the Canadian Open. Making right decisions is very important for such high class chess players in order to improve their chess playing skills. They are supposed to play in high rank chess tournaments where there are chances to play versus strong opponents and highly rated. It seems that is the best way for them to improve and to play better (not mentioning about their chess careers).

Comment

Getting back to the legality and ethics, our old friends FIDE some years ago put together a set of guidelines for invitations and players. Who knows, those guidelines may still be in their Handbook. There was a time when you'd read a lot about those guidelines. But later FIDE itself blew the whole professional and orderly concept out of the water, by postponing, cancelling, moving and adding events at short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      Getting back to the legality and ethics, our old friends FIDE some years ago put together a set of guidelines for invitations and players. Who knows, those guidelines may still be in their Handbook. There was a time when you'd read a lot about those guidelines. But later FIDE itself blew the whole professional and orderly concept out of the water, by postponing, cancelling, moving and adding events at short notice.
                      Without saying if what he did was good or bad (I don't want to get into that), what would be an acceptable way of accepting an invitation for something like the Canadian Open on a conditional basis?

Would it be acceptable for an elite player to accept with the condition that if he was invited to an event of a predetermined category, or higher, he would be released?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                        Hi Micah,
                        That was your description of their father - don't you remember, when we talked last time in Montreal at the Canadian Open?
                        Are you trying to get me killed by Rustam? :) I do remember, but it's an old joke in Alberta. I can't quite remember who said it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Hughey View Post
                          Are you trying to get me killed by Rustam? :) I do remember, but it's an old joke in Alberta. I can't quite remember who said it first.
                          Hi Micah,

Not that for sure! Do not worry for that. I didn't mean you. He is not that bad at last!:)

Best wishes,

Caesar

Comment

Hi Micah,
                            I see GM Hikaru Nakamura on the list of registered and confirmed players in Toronto on the 17 this month and year to play! That is WPC chess tournament (see the message on this forum somewhere).

Comment

I am planning to play in the Canadian Open this year - I want to use my Aeroplan points fast before either Aeroplan or Air Canada go bust.

I tried registering online - the charge was $US 100.70 (which is roughly $CAN 120) which was fine. However - tax was then added. I cancelled (at least I hope I did) before continuing. I will thus send a cheque via snail mail for $CAN 120 unless I hear about a way to avoid the tax. I am also reluctant to register online through a third party (Monroi). Can I register online through the CFC?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                                I am also reluctant to register online through a third party (Monroi). Can I register online through the CFC?

Registering by snail mail is the cheapest, and also contributes the most to the prize fund (if registering online, Monroi deducts a percentage and must charge tax as well).
                                No, you can't register online through the CFC. They are overworked in that office.
                                If your envelope is postmarked before April 15th, you can register for only $120. www.edchess.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X