Results Niagara Falls Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results Niagara Falls Open

The 8th Annual Niagara Falls Open had its biggest turnout yet. 54 players showed up to battle for the 2009 crown. In the end, Artiom Samsonkin, Chedomir Micic and Michael Humphreys tied for 1st with 4.5. Humphreys, rated 2065, upset US NM Eddie Mark, rated 2354, along the way. There was a 4 way tie for 4th, Doug Bailey, Hugh Siddeley, Mikhail Egorov and David G. Plaxton. The U2000 section resulted in Rob Gashgarian, Zarko M. Petkovic and Michael Prysiazny tied with 3.5. U1800 was Brian Fortney's domain with 3. The U1600 also had a tie with Mate Milinkovic and Mei Chen Lee tying with 3. Four new players joined the CFC with Tony Kreze the top unrated with 2 points.

John R. Brown donated 6 upset prizes and Keith Cober won top prize and received "My 60 Memorable Games" by Bobby Fischer. Kyle France was next, followed by Tim Knechtel, Derrick Rabethge, Chris Vanderlee and Neil MacLeod. Special thanks to Drew Ward for his roast beef sandwiches and overall hospitality at the Niagara Shrine Club. John R. Brown for his upset prizes and overall expertise. Keith Wight for the use of his computer and Lee Hendon for his clock expertise and help with the computer.

Hope to see everyone at the 9th Annual Niagara Falls Open in 2010.

John Erickson
    TD
    Niagara Falls, Ontario

Re: Results Niagara Falls Open

Great tournament John. Great location, mostly friendly players. I have to say its the first time I've ever been sworn at by an opponent just for asking him to fix pieces he knocked over on his own time & not mine, time not being such an issue when he decided to start the game by making me wait 10 to 15mins with his clock running while he ate lunch in the other room. His reasoning being it wasn't his fault he knocked over pieces and they fell after he pushed his clock????? Also a nuisance to have my opponent raise his voice to people at the back of the room complaining about noise they were making, making more noise than they were pretty much shouting in my face. Also the first time I've had someone randomly walk up to me that was not involved in my game while I'm playing and ask me loudly if I'm still playing just because it was the last game going, I guess he was eager to start the next round? Not your fault though but next time you may want to consider staying in the playing room while the last game is going on? Would be great to do it again, see you next year.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 6th April, 2009, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Zeljko
      It was good to see you again and make it to our Biggest Niagara Falls Open so far.
      Hope you can be there next year to keep the numbers growing.
      I think our capacity is 84 players but it would be tight going.
      John R. Brown

Comment

Thanks John, I'm definitely going to make it. This year I took two days off work to study for my final exams so I could then spend the weekend at the tournament. I'll be there with bells on next year. Niagara Falls & Guelph are my two favourite places to play. Kudos to all involved.

Comment

Working...
        X