A safe prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A safe prediction

Here's a safe prediction - in the New Year, we will see six players rated over 2800 - the current four, Plus Anand and Aronian!
    >>>>>http://2700chess.com/
    In a year or two, will it take a 2800 rating to get into the top ten?

Re: A safe prediction

I'm not sure how "safe" that prediction is, Vlad. I would certainly offer even money that no monthly FIDE ratings list in 2015 lists 6 2800 players under their 'Standard' category. There are currently 9 2800 'Rapid' players and 7 2800 'Blitz' players.

http://www.top40chess.com/

Comment

Re : Re: A safe prediction

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      I'm not sure how "safe" that prediction is, Vlad. I would certainly offer even money that no monthly FIDE ratings list in 2015 lists 6 2800 players under their 'Standard' category. There are currently 9 2800 'Rapid' players and 7 2800 'Blitz' players.

http://www.top40chess.com/
      Having said 'safe prediction', I can hardly refuse your offer of an even money wager.
      So, all I need is for Anand to make a close match vs Carlsen this month and for Topolov to sit on his 2800 rating - and then I will root for Aronov to reclaim his former status.
      OK, for $20 bet, you're on! Any monthly FIDE list showing six names at 2800 or better I win - otherwise I pay you the $20. Please confirm.
      I like my bet!
      Anyone else?
      Vlad D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: A safe prediction

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        Having said 'safe prediction', I can hardly refuse your offer of an even money wager.
        So, all I need is for Anand to make a close match vs Carlsen this month and for Topolov to sit on his 2800 rating - and then I will root for Aronov to reclaim his former status.
        OK, for $20 bet, you're on! Any monthly FIDE list showing six names at 2800 or better I win - otherwise I pay you the $20. Please confirm.
        I like my bet!
        Anyone else?
        Vlad D
        Game on, Vlad! If any of the 12 monthly 2015 (i.e. Janurary through December inclusive) FIDE ratings show 6 or more players with a Standard rating of 2800 or better, I immediately owe you $20. Should such eventually not come to pass, I get to collect $20 from you next December, 2015. I guess I'm now hoping Topalov will prove to be your Achilles heel (:

Comment

Re : A safe prediction

Game on, Vlad! If any of the 12 monthly 2015 (i.e. Janurary through December inclusive) FIDE ratings show 6 or more players with a Standard rating of 2800 or better, I immediately owe you $20. Should such eventually not come to pass, I get to collect $20 from you next December, 2015. I guess I'm now hoping Topalov will prove to be your Achilles heel (:
          Good luck Jack!
          Whatever happens, I think I've made a good bet.
          ............. Vlad :)

Comment

Re: Re : A safe prediction

Whatever happens, I think I've made a good bet.
            ............. Vlad :)
            So do I. (10 characters)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A Safe Prediction

The live chess ratings as of 17 June, 2015:

1. Carlsen 2869.9
              2. Nakamura 2805.3
              3. Caruana 2805.0
              4. Topalov 2804.1
              5. Anand 2804.0
              6. Giri 2784.6
              7. Kramnik 2783.0
              8. So 2780.1
              9. Grischuk 2775.9
              10. Aronian 2774.2

This is after the first round of Stavanger 2015. Five players over 2800. Who will be the sixth this year?

Comment

I am actually quite surprised that that there are as many as five now. In recent years the rating inflation was stopped and in fact the number of 2700+ players hasn't increased in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                  I am actually quite surprised that that there are as many as five now. In recent years the rating inflation was stopped and in fact the number of 2700+ players hasn't increased in a couple of years.
                  The increase in the number of 2800+ players is not a product of inflation. It is rather a reflection of the total of high rated players - in this case 2700 players which in their turn are the result of growing numbers of 2600+ players. As the base of the pyramid grows so too will the number of 2800+ players.
                  So having six or more over 2800 is not surprising at all!

Comment

The increase in the number of 2800+ players is not a product of inflation. It is rather a reflection of the total of high rated players - in this case 2700 players which in their turn are the result of growing numbers of 2600+ players. As the base of the pyramid grows so too will the number of 2800+ players.
                    So having six or more over 2800 is not surprising at all!
                    The increase in the number of 2800 player was totally a product of inflation. But FIDE changed the rating floor recently, so that might have had an effect on the 'boundaries' of the system, leading to less inflation.

But that issue is quite complicated, so I might be wrong.

Comment

As we approach the 2/3 mark of our bet, Vlad, it would appear that the outcome may well ride on how Anish Giri performs at the Sinquefield Cup next month. That will be his first tournament as a married man. I'm not sure whom that favours (:

Teymur Rajabov @rajachess
                      Congratulations @anishgiri @Sopiko20, beautiful couple and I wish you all the happiness and amazing life together! :)
                      Retweeted by Live Chess Ratings

Comment

Yes, Giri is now the best bet to join the 1800 club but a handful of others are contenders.
                        The main difference between now and the start of the year (when we made the bet) is that the top five are solidly ensconced into the 1800's. And Magnus C continues to shed a point or more to the contenders every time he draws a game.
                        I would estimate that with 5 ratings publications to go, your equity in this bet is minus $10.

Comment

If Giri doesn't win the bet for you, Vlad, you're in serious trouble if you must rely on your "handful of others are contenders". I can't see anyone besides Wesley So (2779) being a bona fide contender for 2800 status in 2015 (:

Comment

If Giri doesn't win the bet for you, Vlad, you're in serious trouble if you must rely on your "handful of others are contenders". I can't see anyone besides Wesley So (2779) being a bona fide contender for 2800 status in 2015 (:
                            You also didn't see Topolov maintaining his 2800 rating - and instead he shot up to 2816 with Anand.
                            It seems neither you nor I are qualified to judge what these guys can or cannot do! :)

Comment

Yes, Giri is now the best bet to join the 1800 club but a handful of others are contenders.
                              The main difference between now and the start of the year (when we made the bet) is that the top five are solidly ensconced into the 1800's. And Magnus C continues to shed a point or more to the contenders every time he draws a game.
                              I would estimate that with 5 ratings publications to go, your equity in this bet is minus $10.
                              What is the 1800 club?

Comment

Working...
                              X