• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Zone 2.2 (Canadian) Championship July 9-17

Dates: July 10 – 17, 2015
    Venue: Peter Clark Hall, Guelph University Centre
    Format: 11 Round Swiss

Eligibility:
    All players must meet the requirements of Article 507 in the CFC Handbook, and be eligible to compete for Canada in the World Chess Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan, September 10 – October 4, 2015. Exceptions are subject to approval by the CFC Executive.
    Players with a CFC, FQE or FIDE rating over 2100 as per the first updated lists of May 2015 for the CFC, FQE and FIDE.
    Provincial Association and Territorial nominees, with a minimum rating of 2000.
    FIDE titled FM, WIM or higher
    Canadian Junior Champion and Canadian Women’s Champion

Schedule: TBA

Time Control: G/90 + 30 seconds from move one.

Tie Breaks:
    In the event of equal scores after 11 rounds, the following tie break methods shall be used in the order listed:
    Direct Encounter
    Most Blacks
    Buccholz
    Sum of progressive scores

Entry Fees:
    $250 per player. Free entry to GMs and IMs.

Accommodations
    Special rate of $93.99 per night includes full hot breakfast at Best Western Royal Brock Hotel, 716 Gordon Street (across the road from University). Free accommodation and meal allowance based on double occupancy for defending champion, vice champion and GMs.

Prizes: Cash Prize Fund and travel prize to World Cup based on paid entries.

Re: FIDE Zone 2.2 (Canadian) Championship July 9-17

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category

There is a single time control for all major FIDE events: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.

The list of FIDE events where this single time control will be used:

Chess Olympiads
    World Team Championships
    Continental Team Championships
    World Cup
    Continental Championships
    Zonal Tournaments
    World Youth & Junior Championships
    Continental Youth & Junior Championships
    World School Championships
    Continental Club Championships

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category

Comment

Good catch Andy. I don't know why my first reply to didn't stick but I'll try again.

I am aware of this rule and we may be forced to use the expanded TC. I view of the double rounds in the event I believe the G/90 +30 is more humane. Also, given that a Zonal now has been almost relegated to the status of a sub-continental U18 championship in terms of title chances, IMO it does not belong in the category of "major FIDE event". So far the Continent has not objected. We shall see. It should be sorted by month end.

Comment

I view of the double rounds in the event I believe the G/90 +30 is more humane. (Hal Bond)

I absolutely agree with Hal and hope FIDE allows him to use shorter (90+30) TC.

Interesting, nobody forces organizers in Toronto to use slower TC for week-end events. However, most of them use 90+30+30 or 120+30 or even slower TC.

Comment

In Alberta we typically use the FIDE time control when we have two games per day, but only 90+30 when its 3 games per day.

We use the FIDE time control for the Calgary International even when its two rounds per day. The Edmonton International has been using it when it had two rounds per day but now it only has one round per day.

Comment

I don't think it's fair to compare strong round robbin tournaments (Calgary or Edmonton International) with week-end events in Toronto or even with Canadian Closed. The average rating of week-end tournaments is well below 2000 FIDE. For Canadian Closed the average is around 2200, while Calgary or Edmonton International are much stronger.

Slower TC usually means very late finish of the round. For me personally that regularly means the necessity to have a bye (I hate it) or not to play at all. We all have other commitments outside of chess.

I would like to see 90+30 as the only TC for tournaments with 2 rounds/day.

Comment

I agree very much about G/90 +30 being more humane for double round games.
              Another point, is about the length of the tournament - 11 rounds. In my history playing the Canadian Championship, it has never been that long. Probably, the usual 9 rounds would be enough to find a clear winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                Free accommodation and meal allowance based on double occupancy for defending champion, vice champion and GMs.

Prizes: Cash Prize Fund and travel prize to World Cup based on paid entries.
                Is the CFC giving any money to the event?

How many entrants have to plunk down $250.00 for this to break even?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

How many entrants have to plunk down $250.00 for this to break even?
                  Hal has been organizing tournaments for a long time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need instruction on how to do the finances.

And, as submitted, the proposal does not call for risk to be transferred to the CFC so the budget is the organizer's problem.

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE Zone 2.2 (Canadian) Championship July 9-17

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    Hal has been organizing tournaments for a long time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need instruction on how to do the finances.

And, as submitted, the proposal does not call for risk to be transferred to the CFC so the budget is the organizer's problem.
                    I think it was a legitimate question, at least to have an idea of what the prizes will be.

The 2011 Zonal in Guelph received close to $3000 from the CFC according to the public fiscals (although this may have covered some annual FIDE and zonal fees) and featured a prize fund of $5400 if I remember well.

In my opinion (both as a potential participant and an organizer), the most important aspect of the tournament is its level. If GMs Hansen, Kovalyov and Sambuev (at least) do not participate, then the tournament will have failed at determining the Canadian champion. However, if they do participate, the winner will more than deserve his spot at the World Cup :)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

I have to tell you, Roger, I'm not offering advice. I was simply asking how many fish will have to come up with the entry fee for the event to break even. A very reasonable question considering the prizes fund and travel amount is based on paid entrants.

Anyone who can add and subtract should be able to figure out the prize fund could be as low as zero. Asking the break even point is not unreasonable.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I have to tell you, Roger, I'm not offering advice. I was simply asking how many fish will have to come up with the entry fee for the event to break even. A very reasonable question considering the prizes fund and travel amount is based on paid entrants.

Anyone who can add and subtract should be able to figure out the prize fund could be as low as zero. Asking the break even point is not unreasonable.
                        well, I think the problem there is that this event, like many other events in Canada that advertise a BEN prize fund is that the conditions are not properly advertised. By properly advertised, I mean that the prize fund is stated to be $X with Y participants and will vary by $Z for each participant over or below Y.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                          Dates: July 10 – 17, 2015
                          Venue: Peter Clark Hall, Guelph University Centre
                          Will a side event be organized as the last time? [on 10-12 or 11-12]

Comment

The break even on the based on the bid budget is about 40 paying players. I would be shocked if we can't get that many. I would love to get my rating back up high enough to compete in this (well at least to provide cannon fodder for the other players). Full details of the bid will come out in time probably at the upcoming voting members meeting if not before.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              I would love to get my rating back up high enough to compete in this (well at least to provide cannon fodder for the other players). Full details of the bid will come out in time probably at the upcoming voting members meeting if not before.
                              Keep the faith. If entries are low enough it might be advantageous to let anyone who doesn't mind spending their Kraft Dinner money enter.

Personally, I can't see the point in patsers paying that kind of entry fee to end up on the wrong end of some miniature. I guess the flame of faint hope burns eternally.

With a rating of under 2000 there might be some merit in simply giving a donation and finding something more competitive with your rating strength to enter. Most of our Grandmasters are quite good and I don't rate the chance of a 2000 player beating them to be very good.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X