blitz rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blitz rules

I am planning a blitz tournament. Does anyone know of a practical set of rules?

I am particularly concened about pieces not being placed properly on the square - some of our juniors are so sloppy (intentionally?) that sometimes it is hard to tell what square a piece is on.

Re: blitz rules

I believe you are not talking so much about rules as about etiquette. For the basic rules, the RA has a long established set of rules. Perhaps Halldor Pallsen can provide them to you. I should note that we play clock move in blitz. As for the etiquette, the only rule with which I am familiar is that if you displace your pieces in the course of a move you must reset them BEFORE you press the clock.

Comment

yes, Gordon, you are right. If anyone has any ideas on how to get teen-and preteen players to behave like gentlemen, let me know. In fact, let the world know.

I was thinking more about how to enforce rules in practice. With digital clocks and a time control of 3' + 2", pressing the clock if pieces are misplaced/dropped on the floor gives each player extra time. And giving a time penalty to persistent offenders is time consuming for the arbiter.

Maybe I'm inventing solutions to problems that don't exist in practice.

Comment

Read FIDE rules for blitz ( http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...1&view=article Appendix B. Blitz). You may not like everything but keep in mind that kids could go to other places where those rules are enforced, or they have played with those rules already (though rules are quite new/fresh)

One big challenge is what to do with kibitzers who yell about flagged clocks LOL

Get good chess sets. Pieces should not fall with every move. Folded boards contribute to a mess too.

Be a strict/firm arbiter. Keep everything under control without destroying the joy of the blitz - yes, pieces will fly far, clocks will be banged, and everybody will have fun :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I am planning a blitz tournament. Does anyone know of a practical set of rules?

I am particularly concened about pieces not being placed properly on the square - some of our juniors are so sloppy (intentionally?) that sometimes it is hard to tell what square a piece is on.
          Yes, two sections. One for the sloppy and one for the neat. ;-)
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            I was thinking more about how to enforce rules in practice. With digital clocks and a time control of 3' + 2", pressing the clock if pieces are misplaced/dropped on the floor gives each player extra time....

Maybe I'm inventing solutions to problems that don't exist in practice.
            You're not.

Irina Krush lost the US Women's championship to Anna Zatonskih when the arbiters did not enforce the rules in their Armageddon playoff: AZ was hitting her clock after knocking over pieces.

There is video and a discussion of it here:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/us-wome...om-our-readers

Personally, I wouldn't want to TD a blitz tournament with kids, but if I did I wouldn't use G/5 TC, but some sort of increment; that way there's no wild panic moves when both players are under 30 seconds. If they kids aren't so experienced I might try something like 2 min + 5 sec per move so there is enough time to carefully place each piece.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X