Zurich Chess Challenge 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zurich Chess Challenge 2015

The Zurich Chess Challenge gets underway Friday (a blitz tournament to determine colours) with 6 of the world's top dozen players, Caruana (3), Nakamura (6), Kramnik (8), Anand (9), Aronian (11), and Karjakin (12).It's a double round-robin but with one game classical and the other rapid. The classical games are scored 2-1-0 while the rapid games (with colours reversed) are scored 1-1/2-0

http://www.zurich-cc.com/home.html

In terms of betting, Anand is the only player at better than 5 to 1 odds. I can't say I like any of these numbers but I'd certainly bet Nakamura before I'd bet Caruana (who likely gets 3 Blacks in the classical games since he's clearly the weakest blitz player in this group). Nakamura has good scores against everyone here except for Aronian (plus 5, minus 10, equal 11) and Aronian has been out of form for almost a year now. Nakamura absolutely owns Anand, plus 4, minus zero, equal 9 and plus 9, minus 1, equal 13 if you include quicker time controls. It will be interesting to see what the draw odds are in the Nakamura - Caruana game since they've drawn 16/20 or 80% of their games, with Nakamura winning 3 of the 4 decisive results.

https://www.betmarathon.com/en/betting/Chess/

Re: Zurich Chess Challenge 2015

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    In terms of betting, Anand is the only player at better than 5 to 1 odds. I can't say I like any of these numbers but I'd certainly bet Nakamura before I'd bet Caruana (who likely gets 3 Blacks in the classical games since he's clearly the weakest blitz player in this group).
    Do you make bets on the chess games or is this for information?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Do you make bets on the chess games or is this for information?
      The latter, Gary, but I'm seriously thinking of opening an account since I seem to have a special 'knack' for spotting positive mathematical expectation opportunities (:

In my youth I was a gambler by trade (mostly card games like poker, blackjack, cribbage, and hearts but I'd also frequently winter in Florida to bet the horses since many in my poker circuit were short of cash post xmas) but I didn't really consider it 'gambling' per se. I had the requisite patience to go to the racetrack for days on end without making a single bet until I'd eventually come across an outstanding bet. Once I became a CFP, I applied many of these same betting principles to investing (:

Comment

However even an out of form Aronian is very dangerous, especially he seems to do well against Nakamura and Anand, not so well against Caruana and Carlsen. Kinda too bad Carlsen isn't playing, it would make the blitz much more interesting (what is the time control anyway?). At any rate all these guys are great players and it should be a great event. It's nice to see Karjakin playing, I haven't seen him playing in a long time though of course you have to take into account I don't follow every single 2600+ tournament (usually 2700+ though) so I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
          However even an out of form Aronian is very dangerous, especially he seems to do well against Nakamura and Anand, not so well against Caruana and Carlsen. Kinda too bad Carlsen isn't playing, it would make the blitz much more interesting (what is the time control anyway?). At any rate all these guys are great players and it should be a great event. It's nice to see Karjakin playing, I haven't seen him playing in a long time though of course you have to take into account I don't follow every single 2600+ tournament (usually 2700+ though) so I could be wrong.
          You're spot on re Aronian vs Anand and Nakamura, Caleb. And you can also throw Karjakin into that mix since he's plus 9, minus 3, equal 13 against him. Aronian fares well enough against Caruana, plus 4, minus 4, equal 5 in slower time controls and plus 3, minus 1, equal 3 in quicker time controls. He hasn't fared so well against Kramnik, however, plus 3, minus 7, equal 23. A year ago, Aronian would have been the clear favourite to win this event since he beats up on 3 of his opponents. Maybe this is the tournament Aronian regains his form (:

Comment

Here's a surprising statistical anomaly. Bobby Fischer only won 7 major tournaments cited in that Wikipedia link in the '23rd Super-Tournamnent Victory' thread. Levon Aronian has won 13 major tournaments therein so his next super-tournament win (assuming he will someday regain his form) will give him twice as many as Fischer (:
            Last edited by Jack Maguire; Tuesday, 10th February, 2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I had thought that Aronian perhaps might have more super-tournament wins than Caruana, Karjakin, and Nakamura combined but the triumvirate edge him 14 (Karjakin 6, Caruana 5, Nakamura 3) to 13.

Comment

So while youre at it Jack, how many for Karpov and how many for Kasparov?

Comment

Zurich 2015

Participants

Fabiano Caruana
                  Viswanathan Anand
                  Vladimir Kramnik
                  Levon Aronian
                  Hikaru Nakamura
                  Sergey Karjakin

A Blitz Tournament will determine the colors distribution on the first day. Five rounds of Classical Chess will then be played from Saturday, February 14th to Wednesday, February 18th followed by a Rapid Tournament with reversed colors on the last day (February 19th).

A won game in the classical tournament counts two points, draws one point. Wins in the rapid tournament count one point and draws half a point.

Schedule

Classical tournament from Saturday, February 14, 2015 to Wednesday, February 18, 2015, starting at 3 pm.

Rapid tournament on Thursday, February 19, 2015, starting at 11 am followed by the Closing Ceremony, also public.

3 p.m. Zurich is 9 a.m. Toronto/Montreal

Commentators

The GM's Nigel Short, Jan Rogers, Gennadi Sosonko and Ljubomir Ljubojevic will support GM Yannick Pelletier and IM Werner Hug as guest commentators in the worldwide live broadcast at www.zurich-cc.com/games.html.

Leonxto Garcia from Spain, Frédéric Friedel (Chessbase, Germany) and many more journalists from over the world are going to report this super tournament.

Events

Among the Who′s Who at the Opening Ceremony (February 13th) on the stage of this great event at Zurich will be not only Arturo Pérez-Reverte, the Spanish author of the detective novel «La tabla de Flandes» («The Flanders Panel», a dialogue between literature, painting and chess) but also the world renowned Cellist Boris Andrianov, the first Russian cellist to become a laureate at the 6th International Rostropovich competition in Paris .

Following the Rapid Tournament on the final day (February 19th), the public Closing Ceremony with a musical contribution of the «Trio Capriccio Zürich» and the Prize Giving Ceremony will end this extraordinary chess festival.

The supporting programme features Sergej Karjakin who will be playing a simultaneous exhibition against representatives of the sponsors at the «Zunfthaus zur Saffran» on February 12th.

Furthermore, we are particularily looking forward to a Rapid Competition between the two famous chessplayers Viktor Kortchnoi and Wolfgang Uhlmann who both made a lasting impression on the chess scene at their best. They will celebrate their 84th and 80th birthday respectively in March 2015! This event will be held on February 15th (rounds 1 and 2) and February 16th (rounds 3 and 4), both days at 11am at the Hotel "Savoy Baur en Ville" and preceded by a short overview about the bygone chess history by the president of the «Emanuel Lasker Gesellschaft», Paul Werner Wagner.

Comment

The blitz games have commenced and can be followed live at ChessBomb.

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-zurich-b

Comment

Caruana's R1 draw with Nakamura allowed him to jump 6 spots (from #69 to #63) in the live Blitz ratings.

http://www.top40chess.com/#Blitz

Comment

The blitz ratings are certainly a good deal more volatile. Through 3 rounds, Caruana has picked up 19.6 rating points for his plus 1, Aronian 18.6 for his plus 2, and Anand 17.0 for his plus 2. Karjakin has lost a whopping 29.8 rating points for his minus 3 and Nakamura 20.2 for his minus 1. Only Kramnik is not seeing a big gain/loss, minus 5.2 for his minus 1.

Comment

The 5th round is now nugatory since Anand, Aronian, and Caruana have already secured the top 3 spots and thus 3 Whites.

Comment

Aronian finished clear 1st with plus 3, Anand and Caruana were both plus 2, while Nakamura was minus 1 and the 2 Russians, Karjakin and Kramnik, both minus 3.

This has changed the betting odds at Marathon since Aronian has jumped from the 5th pick earlier today to the 3rd.

https://www.betmarathon.com/en/betting/Chess/

Comment

Zurich 2015

Blitz
                              February 13, 2015

The blitz event was to determine the pairing order for the Classical. The final standing:

1. Aronian 4/5
                              2. Caruana 3.5/5
                              3. Anand 3.5/5
                              4. Nakamura 2.0/5
                              5. Kramnik 1.0/5
                              6. Karjakin 1.0/5

Nakamura only won one blitz game and that against the tail-ender!

Let me commend the writing of the report at:

http://www.zurich-cc.com/home.html

by Alejandro Ramirez of ChessBase. Quite frankly, if all reports were so well-written, there would be no need for chess magazines (and I love chess magazines!)

With the blitz finished, the pairings for the classical portion are as follows:

Round 1 – Feb. 14

Aronian-Karjakin
                              Caruana – Nakamura
                              Anand – Kramnik

Round 2 - Feb. 15

Kramnik – Nakamura
                              Anand – Aronian
                              Karjakin – Caruana

Round 3 – Feb. 16

Nakamura – Karjakin
                              Caruana – Anand
                              Aronian – Kramnik

Round 4 – Feb. 17

Kramnik – Karjakin
                              Anand – Nakamura
                              Aronian – Caruana

Round 5 - Feb. 18

Caruana – Kramnik
                              Nakamura – Aronian
                              Karjakin – Anand

The Rapid portion will be on February 19.

Zurich 2015 Blitz
                              Round 5, Feb. 13
                              Aronian, Levon – Anand, Viswanathan
                              Ç67 Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defence, Open Variation

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Nxe4 5. Re1 Nd6 6. Nxe5 Be7 7. Bf1 Nxe5 8. Rxe5 O-O 9. Nc3 Bf6 10. Re1 Re8 11. Nd5 Rxe1 12. Qxe1 b6 13. Nxf6+ Qxf6 14. f3 Bb7 15. Qf2 Re8 16. d4 h6 17. Bd2 Nf5 18. c3 Nh4 19. Bd3 Ng6 20. Re1 Rxe1+ 21. Qxe1 Qe6 22. Qxe6 dxe6 23. c4 Kf8 24. Kf2 Ke8 25. Bc2 Ne7 26. g4 Ba6 27. Bd3 f6 28. h4 c6 29. Bb4 b5 30. cxb5 Bxb5 31. Bc2 Kf7 32. Bc5 Nc8 33. b3 g5 34. h5 Ba6 35. Bg6+ Kg7 36. a4 Nb6 37. Be4 Nd5 38. Bxa7 Bc8 39. Bd3 f5 40. Bb8 Kf7 41. Be5 Nf6 42. Be2 Nd5 43. Ke1 1-0

Zurich 2015 Blitz
                              Round 5, Feb. 13
                              Kramnik, Vladimir – Caruana, Fabiano
                              A88 Dutch, Leningrad, Main Variation (with c6)

1. Nf3 g6 2. g3 Bg7 3. Bg2 f5 4. d4 Nf6 5. O-O O-O 6. c4 d6 7. Nc3 c6 8. Rb1 Na6 9. b4 Ne4 10. Nxe4 fxe4 11. Nd2 d5 12. b5 Nc7 13. e3 Bf5 14. bxc6 bxc6 15. Qa4 Rf6 16. Ba3 Bd7 17. Qa5 Bf8 18. cxd5 cxd5 19. Rb7 Rc6 20. Rc1 e6 21. Nb3 Bxa3 22. Qxa3 Nb5 23. Rxc6 Bxc6 24. Rxb5 Bxb5 25. Nc5 Qd6 26. Bh3 Bd7 27. Qa5 Bc8 28. Qb5 Kf7 29. Bxe6+ Ke7 30. Bxc8 Rxc8 31. Qb7+ Rc7 32. Qb3 Rc6 33. Qa4 Qc7 34. Kg2 Qb6 35. h4 Rc7 36. Qd1 Qf6 37. Qb3 Qc6 38. Qb8 Rc8 39. Qxa7+ Qc7 40. Qa4 Qc6 41. Qa7+ Qc7 42. Qa6 Qc6 43. Qe2 Ra8 44. h5 Kf7 45. a4 Qf6 46. Qg4 Kg8 47. hxg6 hxg6 48. Nd7 Qf5 49. Qxf5 gxf5 50. Nb6 Ra5 51. g4 Kf7 52. gxf5 Kf6 53. Nd7+ Kxf5 54. Nc5 Kg4 55. Kf1 Kf3 56. Ke1 Ra8 57. Kf1 Rb8 58. Ke1 Rb1+ 59. Kd2 Kxf2 60. a5 Ra1 61. a6 Ra2+ 62. Kc3 Kxe3 63. Kb3 Ra1 64. Kb2 Ra5 65. Kc3 Kf2 66. Kb4 Ra1 67. Kb5 e3 68. Nd3+ Ke2 69. Nf4+ Kf3 70. Nd3 e2 71. Kb6 Ke3 72. Nb4 Rb1 73. Kc5 Rxb4 0-1

Comment

Working...
                              X