Karpov interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karpov interview

ChessBase has been carrying a lengthy 3-Part chess interview on Anatoly Karpov but here's a strictly political interview, mostly dealing with history.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/sto...pov_history-0/

Re: Karpov interview

He is an interesting guy who was very well informed about world affairs. I recall talking with him in the early days of the western invasion of Afghanistan. The Canadian Parliament was about to green light the mission. He recalled a conversation with the top Soviet general in charge of their Afghan adventure who calculated that it took at least 1,000 troops to keep open each mile of supply road to Kabul, or a minimum of 100,000 from the nearest access point from Pakistan. That estimate proved a lot closer to the truth than what we were being fed at the time.

Comment

Karpov ChessBase interview by Albert Silver

Part 2 of the interview is here.

Part 1 of the interview is here.

A third part is forthcoming and the link will probably be right here.

Correction: it appears that the interview is being reported on by Silver and was actually conducted by Russian news paper Sport Express. This is important as Silver somewhat misrepresents what is said and by whom (e.g., he gives the reader the impression that is was Karpov, and not someone else, who said that an "out of shape" Karpov could defeat either Anand or Carlsen. It was FIDE Vice President Georgios Makropoulos who actually said this.).

If you can read Russian, the original interview is over here.

Supplemental:

An interesting point relating to when Kasparov was arrested in the so-called Dissenters' March and Karpov, as a Member of Parliament (Duma), went to see his old rival.

"They arrested him wrongly. I went there, but even I was not allowed to see Kasparov."

What did Kasparov later say? "Thank you, Tolya?"

"No, but he was touched. When we visited the radio station "Echo Moskvy" there was one statement he did not like. He began to speak of the difficult conditions as there were four beds in the cell. I clarified, "Garry, the four beds there don't matter since you were alone in the cell." Whereupon Kasparov frowned."

lol.
      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 18th February, 2015, 03:07 PM. Reason: correction(s), supplemental
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
      X