X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proposal for Rule Change (CYCC)

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Hi Andrei,

I think there is room on the chess landscape for tournaments at different time controls. I have seen Canadian Speed Chess Championships at 5 minutes per player. I have seen and in fact was an arbitre at a World Active Championship (30 minutes per player). The event included players like Karpov, who as you know is also rated a little over 1800 :)

I am going to answer your second question with a question: Do you think it is healthy to have 6-9 year olds wait around for hours between games? In other words, the round starts at 9 a.m., they finish their game in 15 minutes, and they they wait around for over 5 hours before playing another game in less than a half hour?

Larry
    Hi Larry,

Thanks for reply.

I notice the words "speed" and "active" in those 2 tournaments that you mentioned, there are none in the "Canadian Chess Challenge". I am sure you understand what I meant.

I am not looking to criticize CMA for whatever hidden reason. I am just trying to tell you that the CCC format is not right for a tournament that is suppose to determine national grade champions.

I know that K-2 are ready in 15 min, but are still some even in grade 2-4 (7-9 years old) who are not ready in 15 minutes. BC players who went to CCC every year (like Tanraj, Janak) are using all their 30 minutes. Also you have in this thread the opinion of some (non BC) older players about CCC.
    I believe you know already that for BC was always a challenge to have the top players in the older grades participate in Canadian chess Challenge.

Andrei
    ________
    Reviews portable vaporizers
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      Hi Larry,

Thanks for reply.

I notice the words "speed" and "active" in those 2 tournaments that you mentioned, there are none in the "Canadian Chess Challenge". I am sure you understand what I meant.

I am not looking to criticize CMA for whatever hidden reason. I am just trying to tell you that the CCC format is not right for a tournament that is suppose to determine national grade champions.

I know that K-2 are ready in 15 min, but are still some even in grade 2-4 (7-9 years old) who are not ready in 15 minutes. BC players who went to CCC every year (like Tanraj, Janak) are using all their 30 minutes. Also you have in this thread the opinion of some (non BC) older players about CCC.
      I believe you know already that for BC was always a challenge to have the top players in the older grades participate in Canadian chess Challenge.

Andrei
      Hi Andrei,

I would like to turn this discussion into something positive. Next year is our 25th anniversary. I would like to know what you would consider a great event for Canadian youngsters, that CMA can add to the tournament schedule. One which would attract you and your children.

When we celebrated our 20th anniversary, we created the Superfest which had a 90 minute per player time control. It was a great event! We were hoping to build it into a special tournament but decided to drop it after 3 years when we were unable to grow the participation. We would now like to bring the event back in an improved format for 2010. The official date for the completion of our 25th year is Aug 22, 2010 which falls on a Sunday. Ideally the event we organize would also come to a close on that date. The event would be held in Montreal as that is where the CMA was born.

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

bump bump bump
        i rep back 3+

Comment

There is a zonal this year...

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=445
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            Yes, there is a zonal. It was announced three days ago. Thank god Hal stepped up to run one. When Eric made his post, there was no knowledge of one being held. The CFC did nothing to seek bidders on what is their most important event. And now Hal will organize one in 3 months.

I would think that the CFC should have had this in place last year, but hey, what do I know.

In any event, I am sure Hal will run a decent zonal.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              Is this event actually happening? There seems to be no advertising or website other than this one single solitary post on the CFC bulliten board.

(I couldn't check the OCA site as it appears to have been taken over by some hacker).

Comment

I had heard somewhere that people in Kitchener were proposing for it.

Related question: If it is in Kitchener, is there going to be a Canadian Amateur tournament run concurrently?

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X