• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating at Chess

Cheating at Chess

From chess-news.ru

Gaioz Nigalidze, Twice Georgian Champion, Caught Cheating

Sunday, 12.04.2015

A strong open tournament is taking place in Dubai, UAE these days. The field includes 22 players over 2600, while the top-rated participants are David Howell (2687), Vladimir Fedoseev (2674), Igor Kovalenko (2665), Tigran Petrosian (2660)...

The latter, an Armenian Grandmaster whose first and last name are same as those of the 9th World Champion, has become one of the two main heroes of the latest playing day. Petrosian was White against Georgian GM Gaioz Nigalidze (2566).

It's Tigran Petrosian himself who told our website what had happened:

"I was suspicious about my opponent already after the tournament in Al Ain in December, where we both had been taking part. Nigalidze won that tournament; during our game he would go to the toilet very often, as well as this time. However, in Al Ain I had no evidence, I could only make guesses. Today, my suspicions have been confirmed...

In our today's game, Nigalidze would promptly reply to my moves and then literally run to the toilet. Twice, I made my moves promptly as well, so that he couldn't leave, and he made mistakes on those occasions. Then I decided to keep an eye on him. I noticed that he would always visit the same toilet partition, which was strange, since two other partitions weren't occupied.

I informed the chief arbiter about my growing suspicions and asked him to keep an eye on Gaioz. After some time, the arbiter approached me and said that he had checked my opponent and found nothing. I asked him to check Nigalidze again, because I was already sure that something was wrong.

After my opponent left the self-same toilet partition yet another time, the arbiters entered it. What they found was the mobile phone with headphones; the device was hidden behind the pan and covered with toilet paper.

We both were sitting at the board, when the chief arbiter came up to Nigalidze and showed him the mobile phone, asking:

"Is this yours?" Nigalidze blushed, got confused and couldn't say anything.

The arbiter forfeited him in the game. I went outdoors, and Gaioz approached me. I thought he was going to apologize, but he only asked me what was going to happen to him as a result."

Gaioz Nigalidze was spoken of even before he became a Grandmaster. He sensationally won the Georgian Championship twice in a row, in 2013 and 2014, while both the times he was only # 9 in the starting rank list.

We have asked Gaioz to comment on the situation. His comment was brief: "Not everything is true in what Petrosian said".

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/18610

17th Dubai Chess Open
    Round Six, April 11, 2015
    Petrosian, Tigran L. – Nigalidze, Galoz
    A37 English, Symmetrical, Botvinnik System Reversed

1.Nf3 c5 2.g3 Nc6 3.c4 e5 4.Nc3 g6 5.Bg2 Bg7 6.a3 a5 7.O-O d6 8.Ne1 Be6 9.d3 Nge7 10.Nc2 Qd7 11.Ne3 Bh3 12.Ned5 Bxg2 13.Kxg2 Nxd5 14.cxd5 Nd4 15.a4 Nf5 16.Nb5 h5 17.h3 O-O 18.Na3 Qe7 19.Nc4 e4 20.Ra2 h4 21.b3 hxg3 22.fxg3 Rad8 23.Rf4 1-0
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Saturday, 11th April, 2015, 09:23 PM.

Re: Cheating at Chess

Nigalidze's cheating methodology seems obvious, but also desperate. I wonder what his story is? Maybe all of us who are feeling desperate should keep in mind Alvy Singer's counsel, "The universe is expanding. ... What's the point?"
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

'The Telegraph' expands upon this story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...-lavatory.html

Comment

Stephen Moss, writing for 'The Guardian', adds his own philosophical perspective.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...aioz-nigalidze

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          Nigalidze's cheating methodology seems obvious, but also desperate. I wonder what his story is? Maybe all of us who are feeling desperate should keep in mind Alvy Singer's counsel, "The universe is expanding. ... What's the point?"
          Not a very techie GM. I'm wondering what happens if the device is locked with a pin code/password. Can the arbiter link the phone to a specific player and force him to unlock it during the game? What if the player refuses to unlock it saying it's not his phone. After the game he can delete the evidence by remotely wipeout the iPhone using iCloud->Find My iPhone->Erase iPhone

Comments: In the Telegraph article the photo shows an iPod. This device doesn't have a SIM card so it's almost impossible to link it to a player.
          Last edited by Rene Preotu; Monday, 13th April, 2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

This is terrible news - computer assisted cheating at this level.
            But the root of the problem as I see it consists in the relaxed competition rules in the world of chess, especially now when using computers for help is so easy. Just simply do not allow players to walk out of the playing hall for the first two hours, and no more than toilet use once overall. At least at competitions of certain importance, where GMs are taking part for example, or where prize money exceed a certain limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
              This is terrible news - computer assisted cheating at this level.
              But the root of the problem as I see it consists in the relaxed competition rules in the world of chess, especially now when using computers for help is so easy. Just simply do not allow players to walk out of the playing hall for the first two hours, and no more than toilet use once overall. At least at competitions of certain importance, where GMs are taking part for example, or where prize money exceed a certain limit.
              All sorts of medications make it basically impossible to last two hours. What do you propose, adult diapers for the players? Maybe a sponsorship opportunity. ;-)
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                What do you propose, adult diapers for the players?
                LOL GM Shipov's comment was an offer to sit with wet diapers for hours, and then to came back with a new solution. (the discussion was smth like one year ago)

Comment

All sorts of medications make it basically impossible to last two hours. What do you propose, adult diapers for the players? Maybe a sponsorship opportunity. ;-)
                  Then we have what we have. Others play tennis 6 hours, run the marathon, swim 10K, or cycle around the Alps and do not need to "go out". I understand the different nature of chess (do not know how poker competitions are played, for example), but some form of discipline needs to be introduced. Chess world adopted doping control as anti cheating mean, but this is hilarious - the real "drug" is the use of computers as aid during competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                    Then we have what we have. Others play tennis 6 hours, run the marathon, swim 10K, or cycle around the Alps and do not need to "go out". I understand the different nature of chess (do not know how poker competitions are played, for example), but some form of discipline needs to be introduced. Chess world adopted doping control as anti cheating mean, but this is hilarious - the real "drug" is the use of computers as aid during competitions.
                    http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...en-i-run_70934

"It happens to the best of us — even Paula Radcliffe. In 2005, on her way to winning the London Marathon, the women’s world record holder was forced to stop on the side of the road and take a dump in front of thousands of fans. She went on to win the race after pooping, saying that cramps had been bothering her.
                    Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/why-do-i-have-to-poop-when-i-run_70934#qd5OcrLeyuZ6cq5w.99"

Delightful. To the adult diapers, we can add the makers of Immodium and toilet paper companies as our sponsors. If there is indeed a large wave of cheating in tournaments, this solution is surely not the answer.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

The Nigalidze story has made it to 'The New Yorker'.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/chess-cheat

Comment

Cheating at Chess

The new Apple Watches are about to go on sale. They can communicate with you, for example instead of a morning audio alarm, by tapping on your wrist instead.

An explanation from Macworld.com:

Apple created what it calls a “taptic engine” to deliver physical sensations to your wrist. According to the company:
                        "The Taptic Engine creates a discreet, sophisticated, and nuanced experience by engaging more of your senses. It also enables some entirely new, intimate ways for you to communicate with other Apple Watch wearers. You can get someone’s attention with a gentle tap. Or even send something as personal as your heartbeat."

With surprisingly little fanfare, Apple has embraced a new user interface. When you pay with Apple Watch, you will both hear and “feel” a confirmation. A “gentle tap” on the device can be sent to another Watch wearer, who will feel the touch on their wrist. Is this a reminder? A nag? Longing? Answer: this is an entirely new form of human-to-human communications. It’s no surprise that Apple Watch “taps” can be customized for different people and different interactions.

It’s easy to imagine the near-term possibilities. Perhaps a Watch weather app will zap you when you are about to leave the house without an umbrella. You may feel an annoying pinch as you pass the grocery store on the way home from work, a physical reminder to not forget the milk. An hour before lunch, a short series of hot taps could mean the (second-generation) Apple Watch senses your blood sugar is too low, discreetly reminding you to eat something.

________

So you can receive signals through your smartwatch.

It is also possible to have a chess engine on your watch:

https://apps.getpebble.com/applicati...2c63b90f000034

Now then the arbiter can ask you to deliver up your cell phone and your smart watch at the tournament door!

Comment

Anyone who wants an honest game of chess and level playing field should try correspondence chess. I never read so much crying about cheating when the ICCF had their message board.

I recall one person telling me he didn't want to play against computers. Of course he didn't. It's always better when you're the only one who has such help. ;)
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                            Cheating at Chess...
                            Now then the arbiter can ask you to deliver up your cell phone and your smart watch at the tournament door!

If the watch can fit around your ankle, you could likely get away with bringing it into the playing hall. The only remaining thing is to use its chess help judiciously so that no one realizes you are cheating.

And just a gentle reminder that since Borislav Ivanov's technique was never discovered, ALL current chess results are suspect. Carlsen himself could be cheating.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

That's the main reason why I now pretty much only play online correspondence chess these days. Of course it's pretty much impossible to catch your opponent at computer cheating if they do it with some care, but so far, judging from the blunders my opponents start making at the end of "book" on chess.com that doesn't seem to be a problem yet...

But at least I have enough time to take needed bathroom breaks without losing too much time on the clock.

Comment

Working...
                              X