The Death's Head Chess Club - A Novel By John Donoghue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death's Head Chess Club - A Novel By John Donoghue

I think I saw this novel mentioned here on CT. I rarely find "chess" novels worth reading, but, a decent review somewhere on the NET convinced me to try it. Prepared not to enjoy it, I LOVED it. Maybe not for everyone because it takes place in two time periods, 1962 at an Interzonal Tournament in Amsterdam and in 1944 at Auschwitz (obviously disturbing descriptions of that period). The chess is referred to in the names of the chapters, but, little chess is described other than a few opening moves and those as "he moved the pawn to be beside the white pawn" or the like. Chess, however, is a BIG part of the plot. Not always smart chess comments ("A double king pawn opening, hmmm! interesting!"), but, an enthralling read nonetheless.

I had a difficult time putting it down at 1:00am a couple of nights! I see it is available freely at The Toronto Library, both in paper and ebook format. It was published May 12-2015 in the USA and Canada.

Re: The Death's Head Chess Club - A Novel By John Donoghue

Thanks Ken for the heads up. I always like a good book and Im looking forward to reading it!

Comment

Re: The Death's Head Chess Club - A Novel By John Donoghue

Thank you for mentioning the book.
      Usually I do not read fiction but I really like this one. I am half way through.

Comment

Working...
      X