Martin Leutschaft (1957-2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Leutschaft (1957-2015)

This really took me by surprise. I found these sad news on Kevin Spraggett's website:

LEUTSCHAFT, Martin (Marty) Jr. Born in Munich, Germany on May 20, 1957. Peacefully left us, surrounded by his entire family in palliative care at Notre Dame Hospital on June 1, 2015. Survived by his father Martin Leutschaft Sr., mother Henriette Schreil, stepmother Theresa Leutschaft (nee Brennan), sisters Henriette (Marc) Poitras and Marilyn Leutschaft and eight nieces and nephews who loved him dearly as well as many dear friends whose lives were enriched by his unique sense of humour, quick wit, enthusiasm, and loyalty. Visitation will take place at Les Residences Funeraires Goyer, 3495 boul Dagenais, Fabreville on Saturday, June 6, 2015 from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. Donations can be made to Foundation PalliAmi,

Published in The Gazette on June 3, 2015

Re: Martin Leutschaft (1957-2015)

I first met Marty in 1973, and have been near him during bad times and good. He lived most of his life in Montreal, but moved to BC for a while - working at a beer garden at Expo 86 amongst other things.
    A correction to one of Kevin's stories - Marty did not send the rat/mouse in addition to a postal chess move - he received it from a player whose name I won't mention. Whenever I went to a far-away tournament, he would ask me if I saw this particular player.
    Another incident I remember from his scholastic days - he had agreed to throw a game for some reason, and then decided to play for a win (which he did). A physical confrontation resulted which was quickly broken up. They became the best of friends.
    He was also noted for making up lewd limericks on the spot for various chessplayers. We will leave those for Kevin's site. :-)

108 of his games are in CanBase.

RIP.

Comment

Re: Martin Leutschaft (1957-2015)

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      I first met Marty in 1973, and have been near him during bad times and good. He lived most of his life in Montreal, but moved to BC for a while - working at a beer garden at Expo 86 amongst other things.
      A correction to one of Kevin's stories - Marty did not send the rat/mouse in addition to a postal chess move - he received it from a player whose name I won't mention. Whenever I went to a far-away tournament, he would ask me if I saw this particular player.
      Another incident I remember from his scholastic days - he had agreed to throw a game for some reason, and then decided to play for a win (which he did). A physical confrontation resulted which was quickly broken up. They became the best of friends.
      He was also noted for making up lewd limericks on the spot for various chessplayers. We will leave those for Kevin's site. :-)

108 of his games are in CanBase.

RIP.
      I have also known Marty for over 40 years. He was a perfectionist in many ways. A house painter by profession (following in the footsteps of his Dad) he was the best! Attention to detail and cleaning up. He painted my house a few times as well as Chess'n Math. He loved correspondence chess where that perfectionist trait also stood out. A huge collector of chess sets he would regularly stop by the shop and then come and see me in my office. Always lively and animated...Marty would never leave one bored :). I will miss him and his unique take on life. In the old days he use to be a frequent visitor to the Skala restaurant/bar on Parc Avenue where one would meet folks from all walks of life.

R.I.P. my friend

Larry

Comment

Working...
      X