The Most Interesting Chess Players Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Interesting Chess Players Ever?

The Most Interesting Chess Players Ever?

Chess.com poses this question and then answers it with comments accompanied by large photos of each player.

See:

http://www.chess.com/article/view/th...s-players-ever

The introduction states:

Compelling chess players are not solely defined by strength.

After all, if we were to use chess-playing ability alone, the 100 most interesting chess players would all be computer programs, and clearly that’s not what we mean.

Personality, charisma, and popularity are also important factors. Is it fun to watch them play? How passionately do fans follow their careers? Do their games, behavior, or personality inspire intense debate?

It comes down to a combination of chess skill, influence, popularity in their time, lasting legacy, controversial events and successes. Weighing all those factors, here are the 12 most interesting chess players in history.

Alekhine, Capablanca, Tal, Fischer and Morphy are all on the list. The others are all moderns – Botvinnik, Nakamura, Caruana, Judit Polgar, Kasparov, Carlsen and Anand.

See the original article by Peter Doggers to get the order of interestingnessitude.

Comments

- Are you talking "interesting" or just "in there for a long time"?If it's "interesting," where are Emmanuel Lasker and Mir Sultan Khan????

- There is a man named Baadur from Georgia and another one from Ukraine whom they called Chucky, maybe they can be considered as "interesting"

- Definitely Aaron Nimzovich, the "crown prince" of chess!

- Oooh ooh oohhhh MARCEL DUCHAMP !!!!!
    He's actually a contender for number 1, nobody seems to mention him?

- Natalia Pogonina: she may not be the best player, but God knows she has an interesting career... I am fan

- No Lasker? No Steinitz? No disrespect to the capabilities of the current generation, but more interesting? No doubt "interesting" is a subjective concept, but a serious list would have to include Deschapelles and Philidor, not to mention a myriad of others.

- Where are Rubenstein, Reshevsky, Tarrasch, Nimzowich, Reti, Polugaevsky, Marshall, Sultan Khan, I don't even know much about chess history and I can find dozens of players far more interesting than some on this list.

- But Where is Chucky?
    Tony Miles with his a6 openings vs Karpov, and winning one of them as well

- I think nobody mentioned Paul Keres. He was one of the most brilliant player of all time who never became a champion. My favourite of all time.

- For the most part, this just another "Greatest players ever" list. The absence of players like Rapport, Jobava, and Ivanchuk in it raises many questions.

- I thought the question was "Most interesting" not "Best chess players". Tal, Ivanchuk, Morozevich, Korchnoi, Nakamura, and Fischer certainly belong to the first category

- I consider myself a pretty interesting player; I do acrobatics and even stand on my head during a game, great players are often unremarkable men and sometimes mediocre players are fascinating human beings in fact quite remarkable just like me with my 1200 rating!

- Obviously such a list is completely subjective and we all will have our different opinions. That being said Chucky didn't make your list? He is a wonderfully eccentric personality and an amazing chess player who once beat Kasparov in 28 moves and routinely won Linares when it was the strongest tournament of its era. He plays any opening with either color. He's not interesting enough for you? Also, Nimzovich and Tartakover are obvious omissions IMO.

- Sorry you missed one, Anna Kournikova. Check and mate.

- The fact the Magnus Carlsen is in this list proves the writer does not know anything about what the word interesting means. Magnus is arguably at his best form of his career and yet there is not one game he has played that might be considered interesting. He is the most boring chess (on and off the board) personality that ever reached World Championship level."

- Keres and Bronstein in the place of Nakamura and Caruana

- Ivanchuk, Korchnoi, and Bronstein all belong on this list. I would remove Caruana, Nakamura, and Anand. Anand is certainly one of the strongest players of all time, but he is not exceptionally interesting.

- People, people, lets calm down a bit, alight? The most interesting player of all time it seems, is none other than Caitlyn Jenner. Yes, you heard me right, Bruce, is the only transgender to have ever played the game of chess.

- Tartakower tops my list... he joined the Resistance against the Nazis and was dropped a few times behind enemy lines...." During World War II, he served in the Free French Army under General Charles de Gaulle. His French colleagues found his name too difficult to pronounce, so he changed it to Lieutenant Dr. Georges Cartier."

- ..and where is Rubinstein??? Larsen??? Korchnoi??? Najdorf??? Bronstein???

- Shirov should totally be in here. So should Ivan Sokolov.

- Henrique mecking, harry nelson pillsbury, Wilhelm Steinitz, but definitely Tigran Petrosian, known as the hardest player to beat, possibly Paul Keres. no one beats FISCHER. Fischer is a complete no brainer for the top of the list.

- I'd put Kasparov 1st. He is among very few chess players who for years demonstrated highest results, and consistency is a definition of mastery.

- I am an American and I can agree that this list not only has an American bias but also is just generally not good

- So many colorful and wonderful figures, but how about Dzindzi? -- saw him take on all comers at bullet at a USATE in Parsippany several years back, with Karpov looking over his shoulder chuckling. Certainly the best blitz player of his generation, and an all-time interesting chess persona to say the least!

- Rapport? Jobava? Ivanchuk? Shirov? Miles? This list is more like the 12 greatest chess players of all time

- This reads like a fanboy article about your favourite players. It is devoid of content, or argument. And really, who cares whether they are "interesting," whatever that means??

- Bronstein, Morozovich, Stein etc. The potential list of interesting players is vast.
    ________

Who are the players on your list?
Working...
X