Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada's largest chess club

Originally posted by John Torrie View Post
    A chess club to me is an actual building or place within a building where players can hang their hats every day of the week; a place where boards and pieces are constantly at the ready; a place where pictures and posters and books about chess adorn the walls; a place that looks, feels and breathes chess – not some backroom or basement or begged space that otherwise functions as a church, common library or community center. Such a chess club only needs a few players who are devoted to the game.
    Are there any places in Canada like this:
    • open every day of the week
    • sets constantly at the ready,
    • decorated with posters and books
    • not a place with other functions (church, library, community center)

By those standards there might not be any chess clubs in Canada. :(

Can readers please identify places in Canada which meet these criteria?
    Last edited by John Upper; Wednesday, 30th August, 2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Again...Montreal's Cafe Pi meets all of John Upper's requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Again...Montreal's Cafe Pi meets all of John Upper's requirements.
        Except (maybe) the "no other functions". As you pointed out, there are other games there. And it's also a Cafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          What? You're telling them they can't move their Knights any more?

And a couple weeks ago, Jean Hebert posted here that chess is all about fighting. If you stop the fighting, this will according to Hebert's theory mainly affect the male players and make them weaker, while the female players strength will stay the same. This is a devious way to achieve some sort of equality between the sexes in chess!
          I did not post such a thing, especially «a couple weeks ago» because I post here rarely these days. I do recall having said a word a couple of years ago to explain why there are few women in chess.
          Of course you are taking it out of context for God knows what meaningless purpose.
          By the way I belong to the largest chess club in Québec, the Club d'échecs de Chambly boasting a 100+ paying membership (mostly adults), rates going from about 25$ (half year) to 65$/year, FQE membership required.
          The interesting part is that there was probably less than a dozen members when I arrived there 4 years ago. The club has grown without a big junior attendance. The plan is to develop that segment in the next few years. Chambly is a small city of only 20,000 people, on the South Shore of Montreal about 20 km south east of Montreal. If chess was that well managed in Montréal, there would be there only about 7,000 FQE members !
          Last edited by Jean Hébert; Wednesday, 30th August, 2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            I did not post such a thing, especially «a couple weeks ago» because I post here rarely these days. I do recall having said a word a couple of years ago to explain why there are few women in chess.
            Jean, you are responding to a post from 2 years ago. :)
            Explains a lot, eh!

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
              Are there any places in Canada like this:
              • open every day of the week
              • sets constantly at the ready,
              • decorated with posters and books
              • not a place with other functions (church, library, community center)

By those standards there might not be any chess clubs in Canada. :(

Can readers please identify places in Canada which meet these criteria?
              Not many chess clubs with those four points are even in the world.

A lot of criteria meet the High Park Chess House. Though the house have public washrooms in the same building (as I recall; have not been there for ages.)
              One more place in Toronto - Strategy Games store basement LOL Though not a club but school.

Comment

Working...
              X