2nd Round Upset at the Quebec Open ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Round Upset at the Quebec Open ...

Two uge upset in this round 2 of this 2015 Quebec Open or (Championnat de la Francophonie 2015) in Montreal.

Board 4 :
    Vanheirzeele Daniel 2087 1-0 vs GM Alexandre Lesiège 2528 (difference of 441 pts)

Board 18 :

IM Duong Thanh Nha 2277 0-1 vs Mathieu Cloutier 1972 (difference of 305 pts)

Re: 2nd Round Upset at the Quebec Open ...

My game was very strange. Duong started with 1.c4 and 2.Nc3 but then we transposed into a Benoni (which I play). But it took him half an hour to play the first 9 moves, including a very original pawn push:

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 e6 3.e4 d6 4.d4 c5 5.d5 exd5 6.cxd5 a6 7.a4 g6 8.Be2 Bg7 9.h4 (?)

White basically gives the g4 square. Or he has to play f3, which leaves him with some serious holes on the dark squares. And the game had a lot of ups and downs after that.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Probably just a little bit of rust that he can shake off in no time.

Also, my FIDE rating lags behind my FQE rating. I'm currently around 2150, but my 1972 FIDE rating is used for the pairings.
    Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Sunday, 19th July, 2015, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Check out all the round 3 upsets!! Michael Humphreys beat Bator and Elias Oussedik beat GM Fargere Francois to name two of them, there were a few draw upsets as well.

Comment

Congratulations Michael and Mathieu! Keep those upsets coming!

Comment

I was involved in another upset today... I lost again Wenxuan Zhong, rated around 1700! The kid played a great game after I had a huge brainfart in the opening.

Is that some kind of record? I played two guys, separated by 600 rating points (1700 and 2300). Lost against the lowest rated, won against the other.

Yeah, I do that kind of stuff. :p
          Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Saturday, 25th July, 2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X