Old Chess Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Chess Photographs

Macskasy told me that after the moves 1.d4 d5 2.c4, he took a brief stroll in the playing hall and somebody told him that Fuchs had written a book on the Slav Defence. Returning to the board and 2...c6 ... "so I just took the pawn..." (shortcutting so much Theory) "and I won the game!". (Or the stroll might have taken place after 1.d4.)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
      Old Chess Photographs

May 2, 2016

[...]

Griffin evidently won one of the quiz prizes offered during the recent Candidates Tournament in Moscow. There is a photograph of it there too.

I count nine signatures and not one of them identifiable. Can you do better?
      Not a single one here, either. I remember at the Chess Club in High School (which makes this comment On Topic, ha ha), a player I didn't recognize signed up. His signature was almost illegible, but worse than that. It could be read but only with high probability of error. I read Zrd Zrho. And thereafter always addressed him by that name. His real name was Fred Fuchs. But illegible handwriting deserves its own thread, if only so that discerning readers may avoid it.

Comment

A chess friend, George Tertysznyj used to have in illegible signature but it didn't matter because no one could pronounce or spell his name anyways.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          Macskasy told me that after the moves 1.d4 d5 2.c4, he took a brief stroll in the playing hall and somebody told him that Fuchs had written a book on the Slav Defence. Returning to the board and 2...c6 ... "so I just took the pawn..." (shortcutting so much Theory) "and I won the game!". (Or the stroll might have taken place after 1.d4.)
          Thanks for pointing the game out. Hilarious game - symmetrical to move 12 and then talk about bad pawn snatching.

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

May 15, 2016

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b53076862v

this photo of Jose Raul Capablanca posing for a bust sculpture by Gleb Derujinsky in 1922.

Perhaps I have been seeing too much of Donald Trump on television lately, but that bust looks like a young Donald!

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

June 4, 2016

In Edward Winter’s Chess History column today, there is a photo of Jose Capablanca with the Canadian Trade Commissioner to Holland, Dick Bower of Winnipeg and Fred M. Wren’s son Bill, taken in 1931, at Scheveningen.

Taken from Canadian Chess Chat, August 1963.

It is item #9956 and can be viewed at:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/i...._Photocopies_

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

July 3, 2016

There are great black and white chess photos at the site of Douglas Griffin. His Twitter account says that he is a:

Former chessplayer, Scottish junior and senior international 1980-89. Collector and translator of classic chess literature in English & Russian languages.

Lives in Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

See:

https://twitter.com/dgriffinchess?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Some of the riches there:

1) Boris Spassky and Bent Larsen, Beverwijk 1967
                2) Boris Spassky, pictured in Moscow, 1966 at the time of his World Championship Match versus Petrosian
                3) 16th USSR Championship, Moscow 1948. Bronstein-Kotov; spectating are Tolush, Keres and Romanovsky
                4) Wijk aan Zee, 1969. Geller-Keres; in the background, Portisch-Botvinnik
                5) Tal-Mnatsakanian, from the international tournament at Yerevan, 1982
                6) Karpov-Korchnoi, Tilburg 1986
                7) Korchnoi, in play vs Yudovcic, Leningrad 1987
                8) Viktor Korchnoi, in play at the 20th USSR Championship, Moscow 1952 (a pretty boy!)
                9. Future grandmasters Zhenya Bareev & Alyosha Dreev, early 1980s.

And my favorite on the page:

10. Footage of Bobby Fischer vs Boris Spassky from the 17th Chess Olympiad, Havana, 1966. (38 second clip from the Associated Press).

If you can work it, there are more clips on Olimpiu Urcan’s site reachable through this one, including Ingrid Larsen smoking cigars while playing chess!
                ______

Douglas Griffin was born February 9, 1967. In spite of his being a chess author, I can find no chess books published under that name.

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

July 24, 2016

There is a photograph of a Fischer simultaneous at:

http://framework.latimes.com/2012/10...us-50-players/

The caption:

Apr. 12, 1964: U.S. chess champion Bobby Fischer makes move during an exhibition match against 50 players in the Knickerbocker Hotel in Hollywood.

Isaac Kashdan, The Times’ chess editor, reported the next day:

Bobby Fischer of Brooklyn, 21-year-old U.S. chess champion, played against 50 opponents simultaneously Sunday afternoon in the Knickerbocker Hotel in Hollywood.

Fischer moved constantly from board to board, sizing up each position, rarely pausing more than a few seconds before making his move. He won a total of 47 games, lost one, and drew two.

The only one to defeat the grand master was Donn Rogosin, junior member of the Herman Steiner Chess Club, which sponsored the exhibition.

The two people who drew were Andy Sacks and Nicholas Fenquist, also members.

Fischer is on a cross-country tour, with more than 40 exhibitions scheduled.

This photo by former staff photographer Steve Fontanini accompanied Kashdan’s story in the April 13, 1964 L.A. Times.
                  ________

From chessgames.com:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1546218

Fischer Tour Simul
                  April 12, 1964
                  Fischer, Robert James – Rogosin, Donn
                  B90 Sicilian, Najdorf, Lipnitsky Attack

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bc4 e6 7.O-O Be7 8.Bb3 O-O 9.f4 Qc7 10.Qf3 Nc6 11.Be3 Nxd4 12.Bxd4 b5 13.e5 dxe5 14.fxe5 Bb7 15.exf6 Bxf3 16.fxe7 Qxe7 17.Rxf3 Rad8 18.Be3 Qb7 19.Raf1 Rfe8 20.Ne2 a5 21.c3 Qe4 22.Ng3 Qg6 23.Rxf7 a4 24.Bc2 Qxc2 25.Nh5 0-1

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

October 23, 2016

There are a number of photos from the past at Douglas Griffin’s site:

https://twitter.com/dgriffinchess

Scroll down for these:

1. Alvar Gipslis and Mikhail Tal as teenagers
                    2. Garry Kasparov age 12
                    3. Petrosian against 12-year old Nigel Short, simultaneous, London 1978
                    4. Korchnoi vs Kasparov, clock simul 1975
                    5. Fischer-Larsen Match, Denver 1971
                    6. Walter Browne, Amsterdam IBM 1971
                    7. Yasser Seirawan, Wijk 1980
                    8. Henrique Mecking, Wijk 1978
                    9. Tony Miles and Viktor Korchnoi, 1976
                    10. Ernst Grunfeld (!) Beverwijk, 1961
                    11. Oleg Romanishin, Tilburg 1979. He just finished playing in the Isle of Man Open 2016
                    12. The noted theoretician Yakov Neishtadt, 1984
                    13. Tal’s daughter Zhanna
                    14. Savielly Tartakower, Groningen 1946
                    15. Fischer v. Spassky, Santa Monica 1966

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

November 4, 2016

There is a photo of the original manuscript of Bobby Fischer’s My 60 Memorable Games at

https://twitter.com/dgriffinchess?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It is Douglas Griffin’s site. Scroll down until you get to November 2.

The manuscript lies open with a Scotch-taped diagram visible. Can you tell from the position who the players are and at what event?

If you can, you are much more clever than I. After a bit of research I came up with Fridrik, Olafsson – Robert Fischer, Zurich 1959, a King’s Indian, after Bobby had played 25….exf3

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 g6 3.d4 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 O-O 6.Be2 e5 7.d5 Nbd7 8.Bg5 h6 9.Bh4 a6 10.Nd2 Qe8 11.g4 Nh7 12.Qc2 Ng5 13.h3 Nc5 14.O-O-O Bd7 15.f3 Na4 16.Nxa4 Bxa4 17.b3 Bd7 18.Bf2 c5 19.h4 Nh7 20.Be3 b5 21.Nb1 f5 22.gxf5 gxf5 23.exf5 Bxf5 24.Qd2 e4 25.Rdg1 exf3 26.Bxh6 Ra7 27.Bxg7 Rxg7 28.Rxg7+ Kxg7 29.Bd3 bxc4 30.Rg1+ Kh8 31.Qc3+ Qe5 32.Qxe5+ dxe5 33.Bxf5 Rxf5 34.bxc4 Nf6 35.Nd2 f2 36.Rh1 e4 37.Kd1 e3 38.Nf1 Re5 39.Ke2 Nh5 40.Kf3 e2 0-1

Comment

The second picture brings back memories. Danny Gottlieb, who slaughtered me in Grade 7 at Don Valley Jr High, was the main reason I got addicted to chess. Sadly he gave up the game a couple of years later.

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

January 9, 2017

The Sphere was a weekly illustrated magazine out of London, very much like the Illustrated London News. It ran roughly from 1900 to 1964.

From 1910 to 1947 there were a number of chess photographs, many of which are given in this article by Edward Winter:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/sphere.html

There are several of Capablanca, a couple of Reti, Alekhine giving a 28-board blindfold simul, Sultan Khan playing Alekhine (1932), P.S. Milner-Barry of Bletchley fame, and the last photo in the series: Yanofsky playing Dr. Tartakower at Hastings in 1947.

Comment

Down near the bottom of the web page is an amusing caption to a photo of Winter and Tartakover seated beside each other, deep in thought:

"CONCENTRATION: W. Winter (England) and D. S. Tartakover (Poland) ponder their next move during the International Tournament. The clocks show how much time each player has taken (for this is limited by rule); the pencil and paper are used to work out combinations before a move is played."

The first part of the last sentence is rather well worded; the second (I hope) is quite incorrect. The newspaper reporter was just guessing I think, and got it wrong. Or maybe the rules were different back then?

Comment

The ’72 Canadian Closed booklet is a classic. It should be reissued and given as a prize at tournaments. Unfortunately not all of the players are pictured in it. Kuprejanov (Is that him with a hand on the side of his face?) is missing, and several others. Amos has two pictures – if they are both him. Did he get a haircut during the tournament? The intro to the last round does not ring right to me. Day drew, it says, so Biyiasis drew right afterwards to get a spot on the Olympic team. Why would he do that if the question of who was going to win the tournament (with all the benefits) was still uncertain? This would mean that everyone was huddled around the Selick – Kuprejanov to see who the ’72 Canadian Closed winner would be. Was any time kept for the duration of the games?

Comment

Old Chess Photographs

April 4, 2017

There are some lovely portraits of chess masters at:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChessOnT...ess-news.ru%2F

There is one of Bobby Fischer I haven’t seen before, as well as Lajos Portisch, Oscar Panno, Yasser Seirawan, Natalia Pogonina and Julio Granda.

Comment

Working...
                                X