"Man from UNCLE" movie - and chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Man from UNCLE" movie - and chess

For those of you who remember the 1960's series "The Man from UNCLE", there is a movie out now with the two main characters (as in the TV series, but played by different actors) Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin. If you stick around long enough to watch the credits, the background shows images of the CV's of both of them. One item on Illya's is "Chess IM, rating 2401".

(there was an episode on the original TV series called "The Giuoco Piano Affair" featuring chess).

Re: "Man from UNCLE" movie - and chess

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    For those of you who remember the 1960's series "The Man from UNCLE", there is a movie out now with the two main characters (as in the TV series, but played by different actors) Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin. If you stick around long enough to watch the credits, the background shows images of the CV's of both of them. One item on Illya's is "Chess IM, rating 2401".

(there was an episode on the original TV series called "The Giuoco Piano Affair" featuring chess).
    I saw that at the end of the movie, and the statement of a rating bothered the nit-picky side of me. The movie was set in 1962, and FIDE didn't start publishing rating lists until 1970, and 2401 was an impossible rating even then, because FIDE ratings were rounded to the nearest 5 points until the 90's, as far as I know. Of course, I should probably just be glad that 2401 is an IM-level rating.

Comment

I was also confused about the "computer disk" displayed (and battled for) in the movie. There were no disks that small (if at all) back in 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        I was also confused about the "computer disk" displayed (and battled for) in the movie. There were no disks that small (if at all) back in 1962.
        It is a movie!

Comment

Re : Re: "Man from UNCLE" movie - and chess

Originally posted by Jason Manley View Post
          I saw that at the end of the movie, and the statement of a rating bothered the nit-picky side of me. The movie was set in 1962, and FIDE didn't start publishing rating lists until 1970, and 2401 was an impossible rating even then, because FIDE ratings were rounded to the nearest 5 points until the 90's, as far as I know. Of course, I should probably just be glad that 2401 is an IM-level rating.
          No need for a FIDE rating in 1962. According to Wikipedia:

The first modern rating system was used by the Correspondence Chess League of America in 1939. Soviet player Andrey Khachatoruv proposed a similar system in 1946. The first one that made an impact on international chess was the Ingo system in 1948. The USCF adopted the Harkness system in 1950. Shortly after, the British Chess Federation started using a system devised by Richard W. B. Clarke. The USCF switched to the Elo rating system in 1960, which was adopted by FIDE in 1970 (Hooper & Whyld 1992:332).

Comment

Working...
          X