X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "new" Ruy Lopez variation....on move 3

While entering some CYCC games I came upon one with this variation:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Na5

Black seems to be an experienced 1800+ player, so he must have given this move some thought (he did lose a hard-fought game to a 2100+ player). I thought I would check my 6 million game database to see if ...Na5 has been played before. Yes...26 times - all since 1992. Not good results for Black - only one win, with all the others being losses. Few games show ratings, and most appear to be from obscure European events.

Re: A "new" Ruy Lopez variation....on move 3

Fwiw, as Black I played 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bd6 in my last (rated) tournament game at my club, and eventually lost, though not so much due to the opening. I checked various databases I had, and found that only two class players had tried 3...Bd6. I played this somewhat doubtful move off the top of my head, surprised by 2.Bc4, reasoning by analogy with some other double king pawn lines I had looked at previously, e.g. the Stoneware variation of the Evans Gambit Accepted, and a modern line of the Four Knights Opening.

Regarding 3...Na5 against the Lopez, I suppose that Black is very much hoping to somehow embarass the B/b5 in subsequent play. Bird's Defence (3...Nd4) or even 3...Bb4 have been tried instead in fairly high level play, even. There is also the 3...Nf6 4.d3 Ne7 eccentric & trappy knight move in the Berlin Defence to the Lopez, which no top player seriously ventures, afaik.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Well, there’s nothing new under the sun, and databases cannot always be trusted, particularly in historical matters. 3…Na5 is named after William H.K. Pollock, the British master who lived for a time in Montreal and thus claimed at Hasting 1895 to be playing as a representative of Canada. He played his defence against Amos Burn and Emanuel Lasker, albeit in non-tournament games (offhand and consultation respectively). In commenting on Alapin’s Defence (3…Bb4) to the Ruy Lopez he said “It is even worse than my move, if only because less ridiculous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
        Well, there’s nothing new under the sun, and databases cannot always be trusted, particularly in historical matters.
        Well, in the copy of "Big 2015" I bought from "Chessbase" there are no less than 24 games with this move, most recently by one "Diego Vaca", rated 1885 in 2006. The oldest game in the database with this is Lasker-Pollock from a simul by Lasker in 1892.

Out of the 24 games White won 23, Black won once.

Comment

How about 3.Rg1 for white?

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.g4

Seems like it's a trend these days.

Comment

Working...
          X