• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Chess Club 100th Anniversary 1915-2015

Marshall Chess Club 100th Anniversary 1915-2015

Press Release
    Aug. 28, 2015

100 Years Young!

This fall we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Marshall Chess Club, and we hope you will join us!
    A series of centennial events will take place over the next few months. These will be kicked off with an article about the club in the September issue of Chess Life. The article was written by Dr. Frank Brady, past President and President Emeritus, and details some of our rich history.

Events this fall will include:

September 8 a lecture by Roberto Mayor (President of the Capablanca Chess Club) and Miguel A. Sanchez (author of a book on Jose Raul Capablanca) will precede a match between players from London and Cuba against Marshall Members.

September 22 is the Night of Champions, which will be a gala evening. All former Marshall Chess Club champions have been invited. Grandmaster (and former Champion!) Maurice Ashley will host the festivities!

September 25 the Marshall will hold the 2nd Robert Byrne Memorial Blitz Tournament.

Special guest lectures will be held on October 27th and December 1st.

In November we are reviving the Junior Club Championship. This will proceed our annual Club Championship, featuring an increased prize fund, in December.

_______

The Club is at 23 W 10th St #2, New York City 10011.

That Chess Life issue commemorating the Club looks like a sure collector’s item.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 28th August, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Is it possible to change the title? I thought the Marshall club had just passed away!

Comment

Re: The Marshall Chess Club 1915 - 2015

I was dumbfounded when I first read your post, Mathieu. That meaning had not occurred to me.

But you are right. Marshall Chess Club 100th Anniversary 1915 – 2015 would be more suitable.

How do I go about asking for the change?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        I was dumbfounded when I first read your post, Mathieu. That meaning had not occurred to me.

But you are right. Marshall Chess Club 100th Anniversary 1915 – 2015 would be more suitable.

How do I go about asking for the change?
        Hi Wayne: A moderator has to do it. Post a new separate Post: Request to Moderator - then explain the change wanted. Worked for me in the past with Nigel.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          Don't worry, I have a somehow twisted mind in which wording is everything. Even if it means that an inanimate entity like a chess club just passed away.

Comment

No, I can’t look it in the same way now. I am laying low until help in the form of the moderator arrives. I believe in The Godfather that is called ‘going to the mattresses’.

WK

Comment

Re: Marshall Chess Club 100th Anniversary 1915-2015

November 3, 2015

At:

http://worldchess.com/2015/10/08/the...lub-turns-100/

there is a slide-show of the Club’s former champions including Frank Marshall, Larry Evans, Bill Lombardy, Andy Soltis, Roman Dzindzichashvili, John Federowicz, Joshua Waitzkin, Jaan Ehlvest, Zvlad Izonia and Gata Kamsky. Several photos are grainy, but none the worse for that.
              ________

Joshua Waitzkin, the main character in the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer is 38 years old now. He is the author of two books that appear to mix chess, martial arts and the art of learning.
              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 3rd November, 2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X