Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Arranging Results

In poker ...

I am watching EPT Barcelona right now online. Four players left and they are engaged in negotiating a deal on how to split the prize money, all shown for the viewing public.
    John Juanda is wearing a hospital-type mask during the negotiations. lol

Can you imagine if Carlsen vs Aronian and Nakamura vs Giri, for example, suddenly stopped playing their games, gathered round and decided how they would chop up the prize money? Paul Bonham would go nuts.

After about ten minutes Juanda decided he didn't like the deal so play on!
    Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Sunday, 30th August, 2015, 11:06 AM.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: Pre-Arranging Results

EPT = European Poker Tour

Comment

Re: Pre-Arranging Results

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      In poker ...

I am watching EPT Barcelona right now online. Four players left and they are engaged in negotiating a deal on how to split the prize money, all shown for the viewing public.
      John Juanda is wearing a hospital-type mask during the negotiations. lol

Can you imagine if Carlsen vs Aronian and Nakamura vs Giri, for example, suddenly stopped playing their games, gathered round and decided how they would chop up the prize money? Paul Bonham would go nuts.

After about ten minutes Juanda decided he didn't like the deal so play on!

If you are insinuating that I am for these type of arrangements in poker, you are misinformed. I am against them as much in poker as in chess or any other game / sport. I don't know why poker organizers / sponsors allow for this to happen, it is not in the interest of the competition.

But let me ask you something, Tom, since you were watching it and you say it went on for 10 minutes: was there anything about these negotiations that you would say was interesting or compelling to watch? For example, were the commentators analyzing each player's chip position and trying to determine what each player should be asking for in the deal? Or did the whole thing make you want to switch to something else?

When you think about it, these negotiations in a poker event come close to mimicking what goes on in a poker hand in terms of betting, raising, folding. Those actions are very much like what one would do in the verbal negotiations. But I would think a true poker fan would find the hand action beats verbal negotiation... hands down! :D
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
      X