X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preregistered List for KW Swiss Regular

City: Kitchener, Ontario
    Dates: Saturday, Sept 19 - Sunday, Sept 20, 2015
    Place: Kitchener City Hall, 200 King St.
    Rds: 5, Swiss
    Round Times: SAT 10:00am, 1:00pm, 6:00pm SUN 10:00am, 3:00pm
    Register at City Hall from 9:00 - 9:45 am. on Sept 19.
    Preregister: ralphdeline@gmail.com
    TC: 90 + 30 second increment (rd 1- game 60 minutes and 10 sec increment)
    EF: $50 entry fee and $40 for juniors and masters
    TD: Brian Clarke
    Note: Chess sets and clocks will be provided.

Preregistered for KW Tournament
    Mario Piccinin
    Ralph Deline
    Eugene Hua
    Gary Hua
    Wayne Proudlove
    George Dragusanu
    Jamie Macinnis
    Hans Jung
    David Atanasov
    Anthony Atanasov
    Atharva Srinivas (bye rd. 3)
    Kylie Tan (junior) (bye rd. 1)
    James Tan (bye rd. 1)
    Caleb Petersen
    Brian Cameron (bye rd. 3)
    Doug Gillis
    Tianyi Shen
    Eric Li
    Yiwei Dong
    Bob Gillanders
    Stefano Lee
    Dennis Shamroni
    Eric Ning
    Agastya Kalra
    Istvan Kiss
    Qalib Ladhani (bye rd. 1)
    Patrick Phillips (bye rd. 3)
    Hazel Guo
    Roger Guo
    Mate Milinkovic
    Yu Xiang (Howard) Gong
    Lucas Lu
    Yulun (Tony) Wu
    Zhixing (Daniel) Wang
    Henry Hughes
    Last edited by Ralph Deline; Friday, 18th September, 2015, 03:56 PM.

Re: Preregistered List for KW Swiss Regular

Two and three years ago, we had attendance around 80 for the September tournament and now we are approaching twenty people. Is there a reason why people have stopped attending the Kitchener tournament? Please comment if you have a reason for not attending as it may be something that can be "fixed" for future events.

Thanks,
    Ralph Deline

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Deline View Post
      Two and three years ago, we had attendance around 80 for the September tournament and now we are approaching twenty people. Is there a reason why people have stopped attending the Kitchener tournament? Please comment if you have a reason for not attending as it may be something that can be "fixed" for future events.

Thanks,
      Ralph Deline
      I don't see a late fee announced. I think you will get a lot of on-site registrations without one.

Comment

Thanks Hugh. I cut and pasted last years ad, made the necessary date changes, and added other information. I will have to be more alert next time and bring this up with the club executive. In the past, we had a discount for preregistering and that may also be a factor.

We did drop the entry fee from last year as some of the club executive thought this could be the reason for the poor attendance last year.

People are familiar with the City Hall, a great venue for chess tournaments, chess sets & clocks provided, and most of the money returned as prize money for the winners. It doesn't get much better than that. And you may be correct, we may have more on-site registrations since there is no late fee or discount provided for early registration.
        Last edited by Ralph Deline; Monday, 7th September, 2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Regular posts on chesstalk also help. The tournaments that keep their ads on the first page do much better in attendance than others.

Comment

I agree. Thanks for posting.

Comment

It's still not too late to preregister.

There are several people inquiring about the preregistered list so I'm giving the ad a "bump" to get it on the first page.

Comment

Two days to go.

Comment

Please add Istvan Kiss to prereg list.

Comment

Thanks,
                    Ralph Deline
                    I usually look on the CFC website to find tournaments and the Kitchener chess community hasn't been quick to advertise there. Sometimes I will go to the effort of finding the Kitchener website in the case of tournaments like OYCC but this is not always the case. Kitchener is definitely a destination that I would be interested in playing chess at. It seems to me that it is more difficult to find where and when the tournaments are being held. I did advertise the tournament in the upcoming tournaments on the Windsor Chess website. There is a competing event in Dearborn, the Harold Steen Memorial which I and most of the Windsor players will be attending. I find it more taxing to travel recently and the fact that I can sleep in my own bed to play in this tournament played a role in deciding which tournament I would play in.

I think if you advertise the event in the CFC coming events section on a timely basis you can easily return to the numbers of two or three years ago. People fall out of the habit of attending your tournaments and you just have to give them the opportunity to fall back into the habit. I will probably be playing in more tournaments this year to make up for the fact that I am not playing in the Tuesday once a week chess league in Windsor any longer.

Comment

Thanks Vlad for your reply. I sent the posting to CFC the same time I put the ad on chesstalk but I never checked to see whether or not it was posted on CFC. Someone mentioned that it wasn't so I resent it. We are definitely going to have the club executive involved in rectifying our past errors and hopefully we will be able to have decent size tournaments again.
                      In yesteryear, there was a major tournament every month or so it seemed. I would like to get back to those times. :)

Comment

Sign me up for the tournament Ralph! Please and thank you.

Comment

Hi Ralph,

Looks like there will be at least 40 or more players. It's much better than the previous ones.

Will there be at least 2 sections say Open and U-1600 ?

Hope to hear from you before the day ends and tomorrow is when the action starts !!!

Cheers

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

My request to the TD, Brian Clarke, was for two sections and I'm sure "everyone" is in agreement. So I would say there are two sections. Have I ever been wrong before? ;)

Regards,
                            Ralph

Comment

Have I ever been wrong before? ;)
                              No, of course not Mr. Trump!! :)

But, you neglected to mark down my bye for round 1.
                              I am sleeping in if possible. I need my beauty sleep. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X