Canadian Chess Challenge Finals are in Toronto next weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Chess Challenge Finals are in Toronto next weekend

And the first thing on the agenda will be...a baseball game!

Next Saturday afternoon over 120 folks from the Canadian Chess Challenge will be watching the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Chicago White Sox live at Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON.

This is the 21st edition of the Canadian Chess Challenge, the only annual chess event in the country where each province is represented. It will be held at the University of Toronto in downtown Toronto.

For details go to:

http://chess-math.org/ccc2009/

Re: Canadian Chess Challenge Finals are in Toronto next weekend

Where at the U of T will the tournament be held? I can't seem to find any reference to it? In the residence hall where most of the competitors will be staying?

Comment

Re: New College, U of T

Although I am not involved in the organizing of this event, I did organize some Ontario High School events in this building, New College back in the mid 1970s which had dorm rooms available for out-of-town teams. It is likely that the tournament will be in the actually hall of Wetmore Hall which is the same northeast entrance on Classics Avenue for residents. There is also another suitable hall (cafeteria), Wilson Hall, in the southwest side of the New College complex (40 Willcocks Street).

Just north of New College is the pool/athletic centre, and Harbord Street (Robarts Library) and pizza slice places on the west side of Spadina. Just east of New College is an underground food court, but I'm not sure if the coffee, etc. will be open.

Cheap parking in the area will be a problem.

Comment

Larry:
        Next Saturday afternoon over 120 folks from the Canadian Chess Challenge will be watching the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Chicago White Sox live at Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON.

The Blue Jays win! Larry should try sports betting!

I assume that the group got mentioned on the jumbo scoreboard, did anybody see them on TV?

Comment

Is it a standard kids tournament, where visitors are not welcome?

Comment

Re: visitors to Canadian Chess Challenge Finals

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Is it a standard kids tournament, where visitors are not welcome?
            I visited today and, opps, walled along the wrong side. Parents and visitors have to watch from the south or east areas of the room. It's pretty hard to see any actual chess positions. But along the north wall are the flags of the provinces and scoretables with the board by board results as they come in. The players names and crosstables are also posted. All of the 120 players get a provincial flag at their board and almost all are wearing a team t-shirt, some with their names on back like a hockey jersey.

Several people were allowed to wander to take photos at the beginning of the rounds so you might want to come down to take some photos.

Soccer was a popular activity between rounds.
            Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Sunday, 17th May, 2009, 06:37 PM. Reason: missed a word

Comment

Working...
            X