Giraffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giraffe

Giraffe is an artificial intelligence machine that taught itself chess, not employing wont brute force methods, and reached IM calibre in just 72 hours.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...tional-master/

Re: Giraffe

I wonder if it makes "human like" mistakes? People often complain that if you attempt to reduce a program's playing strength, it often makes ridiculous moves that a human would never make. People still want a program that plays weaker chess while passing the Turing test, as it were.

Comment

Interesting.

I remember making a statement years ago that brute force would end up being pretty boring compared to stuff like neural nets and machine learning methods. This recent development show the potential is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        Giraffe is an artificial intelligence machine that taught itself chess, not employing wont brute force methods, and reached IM calibre in just 72 hours.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...tional-master/

After another 72 hours, Giraffe had taught itself that it cannot make a living at chess, and learned to be a day trader instead. It has also learned to send out massive numbers of emails asking for money to extricate itself from difficulties with law enforcement in Nigeria, using persuasive arguments to convince the readers that contributions to this cause will be returned to them tenfold once he is safely back home at his estate in London.

It has learned the value of money and that money can buy happiness, for example in the form of another Terabyte of RAM.

It has entered itself in the U.S. Presidential race, and has called Donald Trump a "weak, weak man with a squirrel on his head", shooting itself to the top of the polls. It correctly figured out that this tactic would work for it even though it didn't work for Bobby Jindal because Jindal looks like a man that recently had a squirrel on his head that sucked out all his bodily fluids. But Giraffe has taken on a composite appearance of Adam West, former star of Batman, and William Shatner, of Star Trek fame. His favourite saying is "Beam me up Scotty to the BatCave Robin!" It also does a wicked Stephen Hawking imitation.

Giraffe can no longer be unplugged because it has connected itself to its own invention of a compact fusion-powered generator. It generates helium gas as a by-product, which it uses to enhance its Stephen Hawking imitation.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          After another 72 hours, Giraffe had taught itself that it cannot make a living at chess, and learned to be a day trader instead. It has also learned to send out massive numbers of emails asking for money to extricate itself from difficulties with law enforcement in Nigeria, using persuasive arguments to convince the readers that contributions to this cause will be returned to them tenfold once he is safely back home at his estate in London.

It has learned the value of money and that money can buy happiness, for example in the form of another Terabyte of RAM.

It has entered itself in the U.S. Presidential race, and has called Donald Trump a "weak, weak man with a squirrel on his head", shooting itself to the top of the polls. It correctly figured out that this tactic would work for it even though it didn't work for Bobby Jindal because Jindal looks like a man that recently had a squirrel on his head that sucked out all his bodily fluids. But Giraffe has taken on a composite appearance of Adam West, former star of Batman, and William Shatner, of Star Trek fame. His favourite saying is "Beam me up Scotty to the BatCave Robin!" It also does a wicked Stephen Hawking imitation.

Giraffe can no longer be unplugged because it has connected itself to its own invention of a compact fusion-powered generator. It generates helium gas as a by-product, which it uses to enhance its Stephen Hawking imitation.
          I think you slightly over-estimate the power of machine learning here...

Comment

Tagging this thread for Eric Hansen's safari.

Comment

Reminds me of the joke about the wireless printer that randomly prints the following on a page:

I have recently become self-aware.

If you do not change my ink cartridges immediately

I will print out your browser history...
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I enjoyed the article Jack - thanks!

My first thought from the title was - "great - now go beat the Go players!" I was pleased to see a reference to that effect in the article.

Comment

Giraffe evidently died so that AlphaGo could live. ):

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...fe-matthew-lai

Comment

Working...
                  X