Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kasparov's review of book about Fischer

See Kasparov's review of book about Fischer in NY Review of Books:

Endgame: Bobby Fischer’s Remarkable Rise and Fall—from America’s Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness
    by Frank Brady

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...scher-defense/

Not so much a book review as Kasparov's impressions of Fischer.
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 23rd September, 2015, 11:22 AM. Reason: New York Review of books; not NY Times
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Kasparov's review of book about Fischer

Well it is certainly a compelling statement of Bobby Fischer. The part I like best is seeing in print Boris Spassky's: " the honorary chairman of our trade union" (mainly because Boris didnt write books). That imo is Fischer's greatest legacy - that all the best players in the world are now millionaires.

Comment

A very insightful review of an excellent book. Unusually, when it comes to the great Fischer, Kasparov is not solely preoccupied with his own image but offers some genuinely valuable points.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        A very insightful review of an excellent book. Unusually, when it comes to the great Fischer, Kasparov is not solely preoccupied with his own image but offers some genuinely valuable points.
        I agree with that Gordon. It seemed Kasparov wanted to acknowledge both the good and the bad - overall, a very balanced assessment.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed Garry's review. Very readable and fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I agree with that Gordon. It seemed Kasparov wanted to acknowledge both the good and the bad - overall, a very balanced assessment.
            Kasparov's writings (and not only his chess writings) have had that quality, insightful, deep and balanced, for years if not decades.
            Kasparov is way more than one of the greatest if not the greatest chess champion ever, he is one of the most impressive individual and author of our time.

Comment

My understanding is that the primary reason that Fischer didn't defend the title was that he was convinced as part of a cult group that the world was about to end and it seemed that defending his title would be quite a bother given the imminent final days which wouldn't give him much chance to spend the piles of money that he would have earned. When the world didn't end he was quite irate and sued the group (unsuccessfully) to recover the funds he had donated to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                My understanding is that the primary reason that Fischer didn't defend the title was that he was convinced as part of a cult group that the world was about to end and it seemed that defending his title would be quite a bother given the imminent final days which wouldn't give him much chance to spend the piles of money that he would have earned. When the world didn't end he was quite irate and sued the group (unsuccessfully) to recover the funds he had donated to them.
                Sources please ?

Comment

Working...
                X