What reasons might chesstalkers give for playing chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What reasons might chesstalkers give for playing chess?

I thought I'd ask fellow chesstalkers if they wish to give some reasons for people to play chess, without assuming they have much knowledge of the game. About a month ago I attempted to give such reasons on my CFC Discussion Board blog in the form of a relatively short list, in an upbeat way meant to capture much of the essence of chess; the result may or may not have been a fairly slick presentation (as I also had hoped). I've cut & pasted that blog entry below; at the moment it shows up near the top of the first page of the Google search results for "Reasons to play chess", and has 1654 views thus far (a pretty good pace IMHO):

12 reasons to play chess

Here are 12 possible reasons I chose (from the many) that people may like to play chess because of, without much taking skill level or ambition into account (for me, what first grabbed my attention as a child was the magnificent & regal beauty of a typical chess set):

On the lighter side:

1. Cheapos. Those shallow chess tactics that most everyone should see, but at times fail to. They never get old as far as their entertainment value goes, should a player fall into one, though as skill level increases so does the relative rarity of that occuring, at least in a game that's not played very quickly. The basic categories for such tactics are traps, pitfalls and swindles. A trap that is set takes an opportunity to offer some sort of bait, with the hope (but hopefully not expectation) that the opponent will fall for it. A pitfall occurs when a player doesn't even fall for a trap, but makes a move that quickly leads to a lost or much worse position without any sort of bait being offered. A swindle is a desperate trap set from a position that's bad, and which should backfire in some way if the opponent avoids it properly.

2. Speed chess. Fast chess that's usually played for fun because it's fast and thus error-prone. Five minutes per side on a chess clock is its classic time control. Playing speed chess games using an unfamiliar chess opening can help one to learn it at little cost.

3. Bughouse chess. Aka Doubles Chess. The most popular variant of chess, normally played using speed chess time controls, but with two teams of two players passing reusable captured pieces to each other between two chessboards, with communication allowed as per the rules. Great fun, especially for the young or young at heart. It can be played in a skittles room outside a tournament hall, if one is available.

The finer things:

4. Sacrificing. Giving up 1 or more of your men temporarily or for perceived compensation that may be strategic or else somewhat speculative. Gambits are chess openings that involve speculative sacrifices, often of a pawn. Sacs that are not provably completely unsound add to any excitement created by a given game.

5. Combinations & tactics. Combinations are forcing continuations, involving 1 or more sacrifices, which lead to a winning or much improved position. A lot of the brillance in chess involves such, and a playing a nice combo that wins a game can really make your day. Tactics include combinations and other relatively short term operations which are forcing. They culminate in such things as forks, or back rank/smothered checkmates, the latter (along with the large number of playable openings from the start position, and a nice average of 40 moves to a game) illustrating some of the more pleasing peculiarities of standard chess that make it harder for other activities or board games of skill to compete.

6. Attacking & defending. Attacking the opponent's king position, or perhaps even a mere weak pawn in his position, can make a chessplayer's day if he is successful. Similarly, defending can be rewarding if one already has (or can obtain) some advantage that he may keep or increase if he thwarts his attacking opponent's intentions.

7. Endgames. Generally arise as soon as queens are traded, whereupon the kings can often safely venture farther from home. There are technical endgames, where you can know from previous study at home if one side should win or draw for certain with good play. Many others are strategic endgames, where the final result is not yet certain and it's up to you to do the best you can with endgame strategy principles. Winning/drawing endgames might be seen as winning/drawing ugly, but for good players it's often the time to bring home the bacon with virtuoso play, and there can still be drama.

8. Maneuvering. Improving the position of one's pieces gradually (or cat and mouse play, where one shuffles one's pieces around until hopefully the other player must give ground or makes a definite mistake), when there's little else to do. Some players excel at this art, and they have learned to be very patient, if they weren't before taking up chess.

9. Strategy. Long term play, maneuvering or planning. Worsening your opponent's position in some way can lead to a winning or superior endgame, or an attack on the enemy king position. Enjoying building up slowly when the opponent can do little that's effective is often a way to go.

10. Calculating. Whether you're thinking of tactics, strategy or both, calculation is required. A player that can calculate beyond cheapos, with the aid of ruling out many moves as unpromising or unthreatening throughout, has a chance of being formidable, and at times gets to enjoy the flow of analysis in his mind throughout the process.

11. Opening preparation. Study at home can be very enjoyable and advantageous to the chessplayer. Selecting or repairing one's opening repertoire, or preparing surprise moves in advance and/or for specific opponents, can help to make a player eager for games to come. There is great room for personal style in chess, perhaps never more so than in the opening phase of a game, and current playing strengths & weaknesses can also guide one's choice of opening.

12. Personal improvement. One can improve at chess at least up to a certain point that's thought to be limited largely by one's age or talent, or one can obtain benefits in real life from playing and studying chess. Learning good study habits, improving one's patience or memory, and having extra motivation to get physically fitter (i.e. for the sake of one's chess playing form) are just some possible examples, even if one only ever gets a modest taste of success in relation to some or all of the previous 11 possible reasons to enjoy playing chess that I've provided.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: What reasons might chesstalkers give for playing chess?

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this list is. They're all good points but the fact of the matter is that players already know this stuff and non-players aren't likely to be swayed by it.

Comment

The list is largely meant for non-players, or novice players who may be unfamilar with some aspects of chess (e.g. maneuvering). People may ask, where is the joy and excitement in playing chess, especially at modest levels of skill, and this list tries to convey some of the joy and excitement that can be derived from chess. Veterans may be entertained by the flavour of my descriptions as well, at least. The CFC might try to make such a list in order to help it promote chess, for example, in which case the joys and excitement of competitive chess can be alluded to as well.
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 25th September, 2015, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I think for me your list is the means to the end. The end is to compete with a skilled opponent in one-on-one competition.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Hi Tom

I thought of that, but unfortunately that end does little to distinguish chess (in a preferably unique way) from other forms of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            Hi Tom

I thought of that, but unfortunately that end does little to distinguish chess (in a preferably unique way) from other forms of competition.
            But then so would "#9 Strategy", for example. Any game that has at least some skill (as opposed to total luck) will have strategy.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              But then so would "#9 Strategy", for example. Any game that has at least some skill (as opposed to total luck) will have strategy.
              I did give more detail after that item (strategy), though it could be argued that there is long term play (in chess, e.g. when to make luft for one's king or guard a square with a pawn, with a long term view), manuevering and planning in tennis as well, for instance. The totality of all the reasons I gave may make chess fairly unique, at least, perhaps even among other chess-like games. In any event, I assumed people would know chess is a one on one competition of pure skill (perhaps an error in the case of some non-players, but they could find out soon enough - at least I might have made them more interested).
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 25th September, 2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I have always thought that chesstalkers, by definition, did not actually play chess.

As for myself, I've been interested in all points you mentioned above at some stage or another in my 'chess life'.
                Nowdays I play some speed chess for entertainment, and long time control (tournament) chess occasionally just to maintain my level of play, to keep up with some mental exercise. This may also allow me to, if I ever dream (and adequately input the time and effort required) of improving, to not fall-back by being rusty if I were to take a break and return to chess later.

Alex F.

Comment

perhaps we should tell them that it is a cosmic game, brought to earth by aliens .... and if that isn't enough we could threaten if they don't start playing the aliens might come back and destroy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Love View Post
                    perhaps we should tell them that it is a cosmic game, brought to earth by aliens .... and if that isn't enough we could threaten if they don't start playing the aliens might come back and destroy them.

On this same theme, we could tell them that there is an inter-galactic war going on over which game should dominate the universe: poker or chess?

The aliens that favor chess are calculating machines, void of emotion. They are dying out because they cannot adapt to change. The aliens that favor poker are the newer and more dynamic aliens, capable of calculation just as the chess aliens but having expanded their capabilities into the realms of adaptation, intuition, and probability. They understand that in fact there IS some dice being played with the universe... with ALL the universes...
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                      Hi Tom

But I think Tom has a point (if I understand him). With the exception of your point 12, your points are like a list of FEATURES of the game. If you're trying to sell a 'first-time buyer' on why they should play chess then listing a bunch of features probably won't do the trick. You need to explain how playing the game will fill a need for him/her.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        But I think Tom has a point (if I understand him). With the exception of your point 12, your points are like a list of FEATURES of the game. If you're trying to sell a 'first-time buyer' on why they should play chess then listing a bunch of features probably won't do the trick. You need to explain how playing the game will fill a need for him/her.
                        Exactly. You can say you play chess for its artistic merit, for the one-on-one competition, its educational benefit, for measurable improvement, because language/culture isn't a barrier, for camaraderie/social aspect of playing in a pub, etc. But to say I play chess because I can play it at a variety of different speeds or because I can calculate or manoeuvre? You can play poker quickly (online they even have tables and formats specifically for this), most (all?) games of skill require that you calculate, and if there is a person for whom manoeuvring is the reason they play chess (rather than the idea of psychically torturing their opponent in the way a cat toys with a mouse) I have certainly never heard of them.

I bet there are more people, who like Kevin, that are attracted to the chess pieces as objects than in the first eleven items on his list combined.
                        Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Sunday, 27th September, 2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          The needs filled are listed implicitly in the descriptions of the 'features' I gave:

On the lighter side:
                          1. Cheapos: entertainment value due to comedy of this type of error (already an 'opponent' is mentioned);
                          2. Speed chess: fast paced fun (errors/cheapos likelier);
                          3. Bughouse chess = fun team chess, if one wishes to play with partners against more than one opponent;

then for the finer things: as I get into the aspects of game, there is implicit and explicit explaination offered that there is skill and excitement to the game, among other things that I spell out about it. Perhaps I should have completely spoonfed everything to the reader?! Isolating parts of my blog entry and ignoring their context, as you and especially Tom are doing, is rather unfair to me. Don't chessplayers have better things to do than try to find things to argue and nitpick about when there's not much really to argue and nitpick about? I mean, come on. At least other reasons to play chess are being offered by some, including Tom, which I thank him for; perhaps the CFC will pay notice to this thread. Thanks to Alex for his comments too, for at least making me feel less like wondering if I have two heads.

[edit: there are certainly strong GMs who love to maneuver when the position offers little else to do, and I did mention that maneuvering is an art, which hopefully suggests there are artisic aspect(s) to chess. Some GMs and even lesser players may actually enjoy pounding their opponents around in this way (or other ways, e.g. tactically), but then there are hockey players with a similar type of personality, for example. Also, I once read a novel where a chessplayer was described as enjoying the 'flow' in his mind as he calculated, and seeing the chess pieces move in one's mind's eye may seem cool, fwiw. In addition, the beauty of the chess pieces can be seen as an initial attraction of chess, yes, but there needs to be more to sustain the hold of the game, and fwiw not everyone plays in a pub often, hangs out with any pals after their tournament game is over, or even plays chess offline.]
                          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 27th September, 2015, 11:31 PM. Reason: Adding content

Comment

By no means a complete list but one that makes much more sense to me:

http://www.emchess.com/extras/benefits_of_chess.html

Comment

Hey .... I was just paraphrasing what Kirsan said to the press when asked how to get more people playing chess. I wonder if they also invented football ...

Comment

Working...
                              X