What reasons might chesstalkers give for playing chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What reasons might chesstalkers give for playing chess?

Originally posted by Dave Love View Post
    Hey .... I was just paraphrasing what Kirsan said to the press when asked how to get more people playing chess. I wonder if they also invented football ...

That's ok, your paraphrasing was great. I was just paraphrasing what the U.S. Dept. of Justice said when they were asked how to get LESS people playing online poker. It's such a problem here...!

Incidentally, what do you imagine humans invented?

Toss-up between deception and corruption... probably both. (I'm inspired on that by Kirsan the Annointed One)
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: What reasons might chesstalkers give for playing chess?

Why Geeking Out On Games is Good for Kids

The short video (of ~ 3 minutes) makes the point that with the overwhelming emphasis on reading and verbal skills in school, allowing some children to shine in another domain (in which reading and verbal skills are less important, and visualization, for example, is more important) helps these other children develop mastery and thereby self-confidence, etc. in their own powers of cognition. This can have a cascading effect on their success in other domains. In particular, "late" developing children can find something they are good at, etc.

IQ, if you go by Howard Gardiner's views, has not one "scale" but a set of 8 or 10 measures of "intelligence" such as: musical–rhythmic, visual–spatial, verbal–linguistic, logical–mathematical, bodily–kinesthetic, interpersonal, intra-personal, and naturalistic. In this view, it's important for teachers to help children develop these other kinds of intelligence.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
      X