Clear All

• Pawn Sacrifice movie in Montreal until September 30

Starring Tobey Maguire as Bobby Fischer

Cineplex Forum (Atwater metro station)
    2313 Ste-Catherine W, Montréal

Tuesday (Sep 29) and Wednesday (Sep 30) 1:10pm, 4pm, 7pm, 9:50pm

http://www.bleeckerstreetmedia.com/pawn-sacrifice

Re: Pawn Sacrifice movie in Montreal until September 30

How has attendance been in other cities? In Montreal tonight (Tuesday), I was at the 7 pm show. There were about 30 in attendance. The 4 pm show had about a dozen.

Comment

In Windsor, the 7.00 pm show had about 10 in attendance.

Comment

I was at a 7pm show in Ottawa on Friday (25th) when it came out and it had about 20.

Comment

4:20 show in Kingston had six people.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Those numbers are incredibly depressingly low. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Those numbers are incredibly depressingly low. Ouch.
              You get depressive for nothing. Go to the movies more often. :)
              Just a couple of days ago I went to see "Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials" (in french), a major blockbuster movie.
              Believe it or not, I was by myself in the room !!
              Regardless of how many people go to see Pawn Sacrifice now, I am pretty sure that it will make a much longer lasting impact than 90% of all those Hollywood special effects
              mindless movies.

Comment

The estimated Blu-Ray release date is December 2015.
                Perhaps there will be more than coal in my stocking this year ....

Comment

According to boxofficemojo.com Pawn Sacrifice thus far is in place 132 out of the 487 movies to open in theatres in 2015 with about $1.5M in gate. Not great, but not so bad.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re : Pawn Sacrifice movie in Montreal until September 30

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                    Starring Tobey Maguire as Bobby Fischer

Cineplex Forum (Atwater metro station)
                    2313 Ste-Catherine W, Montréal

Tuesday (Sep 29) and Wednesday (Sep 30) 1:10pm, 4pm, 7pm, 9:50pm

http://www.bleeckerstreetmedia.com/pawn-sacrifice
                    Apparently, the movie can be seen until at least October 8. I went there yesterday and really enjoyed it. If you like chess and can go, by all means do it.

Comment

Re: Re : Pawn Sacrifice movie in Montreal until September 30

About 15 of us from the Victoria Chess Club attended a pre-screening a week ago. The theatre was full (about 150 people) but people were invited to attend for free. I found it to be very good entertainment and excellent acting.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Pawn Sacrifice movie in Montreal until September 30

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        How has attendance been in other cities? In Montreal tonight (Tuesday), I was at the 7 pm show. There were about 30 in attendance. The 4 pm show had about a dozen.
                        4:00pm show at ScotiaBank Theatre in downtown Toronto, a private showing for three! I went as soon as I could because I was not sure it would be here long.

A few inconsistencies, probably dramatic license, but one where Fischer takes a copy of Shakmaty CCCP and starts playing the moves, 1.h4 h5 went a little too far.

I was profoundly sad at the end of the movie! It really affected me.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                          4:00pm show at ScotiaBank Theatre in downtown Toronto, a private showing for three! I went as soon as I could because I was not sure it would be here long.

A few inconsistencies, probably dramatic license, but one where Fischer takes a copy of Shakmaty CCCP and starts playing the moves, 1.h4 h5 went a little too far.

I was profoundly sad at the end of the movie! It really affected me.
                          I could be wrong but the h4, h5 thing looked to me like he was setting up a position from the diagram and was just moving the pawns onto those squares.

Comment

I saw Pawn Sacrifice yesterday, enjoyed it.
                            There were a couple of moments to cringe, like the h4 h5 opening (not buying the O'Donnell explanation), but overall a good movie. I forgot to count the audience, but say 20 or 30 patrons.

Comment

Saw it these evening along with 9 others, none of whom I recognized. I recall many of these events and have enjoyed the various books and documentaries about the period. The film must be seen as something quite different, intended (with mixed success) to appeal to a much broader audience. I did swallow hard over 1.h4 h5 and was not aware that the sixth game of the match was regarded as the greatest of all time, nor even Fischer's best. I guess we can blame Richard Berube for that:) Overall, not a bad production but I fear it was not technically accurate enough for the chess aficionado and much too technical for a general audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X