Cycc 2016 & Naycc 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tournament Organizing in Canada - Dying? Why?

Bob wrote:

I have been to numerous Canadian Opens over the years, and the prize fund has NEVER been a consideration in deciding whether or not to play. The deciding factors are usually where is it (always nice to discover new places in Canada), are my friends going, does it fit into my schedule. On occasion I have won money ($11 one year) and it's always a nice unexpected bonus. A trophy would have been even more appreciated.
    Likewise - I have been to many Canadian Opens and the prize fund (nor the number of GM's) was never a factor to me. For that reason, I don't want to pay $150 to play in an event in which I'm not interested in the money. I'll stick to a $70-$80 Quebec Open event. Let the sponsors subsidize the GM's - not the players.

Comment

Re: Cycc 2016 & Naycc 2016

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      You are free to change everything in chess and do you millions LOL Blitz, Fischer, random, bughouse all are played and enjoyed, though non of them reached the level of "classical" chess ("classical" - a standard setup with a time control enough to think and make decisions without hurry). Recently finished blitz and rapid championship were exciting but that all. They will never reach the deepness of the championship cycle - candidates/matches/final.
      Egidijus, I think it is great that you continue to follow the path of "to thine own self be true". The deepness that you find even in a 9-move draw is admirable. Or a 30-move draw where the 'decisions made without hurry' were only the last few plies, all the rest having being played from memory from the latest opening book. And yes, there is the occasional original game where fighting chess is displayed throughout, I'll give you that.

But those within organized chess with eyes to see know that something is fishy in Denmark. And then there are those outside of chess altogether to whom all of this is gibberish. These are the people who make up a market... a market that can be served by someone who can figure out what that market would like to have, both in terms of playing and in terms of spectating.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Cycc 2016 & Naycc 2016

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        Egidijus, I think it is great that you continue to follow the path of "to thine own self be true". The deepness that you find even in a 9-move draw is admirable. Or a 30-move draw where the 'decisions made without hurry' were only the last few plies, all the rest having being played from memory from the latest opening book. And yes, there is the occasional original game where fighting chess is displayed throughout, I'll give you that.

But those within organized chess with eyes to see know that something is fishy in Denmark. And then there are those outside of chess altogether to whom all of this is gibberish. These are the people who make up a market... a market that can be served by someone who can figure out what that market would like to have, both in terms of playing and in terms of spectating.
        For whatever reasons you are still following chess in one way or another. That's amazing compared how much you hate chess LOL

Comment

Working...
        X