• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am in the wrong business :)

Today in The Globe & Mail I saw an ad entitled

"Make a difference as a Not-For-Profit Director"

The major sponsor is Telus.

The course runs for 3 days. It will be held in Toronto from June 22-24. I figured this would be beneficial for me....naturally the ad did not include the price...but there was a website: icd.ca/NFP

Obviously they must be looking for the very very large non-profit organizations :) Good thing they have a sponsor for this course :) :)

Re: I am in the wrong business :)

Even worse, you probably wouldn't learn much. I went to a similar three-day seminar, about 25 years ago, and not only was 80% of the information irrelevant, by the third day everyone was exhausted, too much new information, too many words.

Comment

The price is $2,500 plus GST.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        The price is $2,500 plus GST.

Hi Bob,

Are you signing up :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          Even worse, you probably wouldn't learn much. I went to a similar three-day seminar, about 25 years ago, and not only was 80% of the information irrelevant, by the third day everyone was exhausted, too much new information, too many words.
          Hi John,

I have attended a couple of these seminars - at about $300 a day. The information is usually useful - perhaps not worth the dollars but that is irrelevant. However in order to implement the information into the way you work requires a lifestyle change and lots of time.

99 percent of folks (myself included) don't find the time to make major changes. And when we are talking a hunk of cash like this...honestly...provided the info is truley awesome...you have to set aside at least a month of your work time to integrate the recommendations.

Larry

Comment

I went through a program via the United Way of Hamilton and Burlington. It was 8 weeks at 3 hours per night. Run by the McMaster University Directors College, it was for non-profits obviously and was based on the Directors College Program which costs $20000 but which my agency paid less than $200 for. It was quite good.

Larry, it may take you away from your day to day operations to implement things after but its worth it. You don't want to end up like the CFC. Show me any organization that has lasted the last 20 to 30 years and I'll show you an organization that has made major changes. No one is operating like it was 1979 anymore. If they were they are gone, like Eatons.

Comment

It is not a bad program but obviously not designed for a business genius like you. It is tailored for folks who go on boards of charities, hospitals, etc. Telus sponsors it and provides perhaps half the students in recognition of the role they expect their people to play in local charities.

Comment

Working...
              X