Southwestern Ontario Fall Open Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwestern Ontario Fall Open Results

The results for round 1 and 2 of the Southwestern Ontario Fall Open are done. Round 3 is in progress. Click http://windsorchess.com/swofo-results.php to view them.
    Last edited by John Coleman; Saturday, 10th October, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Re: Southwestern Ontario Fall Open Results

round 4 results are coming in now, round 5 will start at 4.00, in theory

Comment

Round 5 results are now posted, with a crosstable to follow in due course, no doubt. http://windsorchess.com/swofo-results.php#r5

Congratulations to Vlad Drkulec who came in clear first. Chike [Jude] Aniunoh was second, and Avinaash Sundar, Hans Jung, and Eugene Hua tied for 3rd.

Vlad had two upset wins on Sunday, overcoming 260 and 300 points rating differential, with black both times. Proof he must have been saying his prayers, or eating his wheaties, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Round 5 results are now posted, with a crosstable to follow in due course, no doubt. http://windsorchess.com/swofo-results.php#r5

Congratulations to Vlad Drkulec who came in clear first. Chike [Jude] Aniunoh was second, and Avinaash Sundar, Hans Jung, and Eugene Hua tied for 3rd.

Vlad had two upset wins on Sunday, overcoming 260 and 300 points rating differential, with black both times. Proof he must have been saying his prayers, or eating his wheaties, or something.
        All of the above at various times on the weekend. I will need emergency surgery to remove the horseshoe lodged somewhere where it doesn't belong down there.

I think the many lessons with Viktor Gavrikov are starting to kick in. Its been a while since my last almost 2400 level performance. I kept my blood sugar under good control on the weekend and that was part of the reason for the good result. Also likely is that I was not as bad as the 1960 rating that I had sunk to after playing many games against the under-rated Windsor kids and underrated Toronto kids and under rated Kitchener kids... It was nice to play in a tournament where I could sleep in my own bed and not have to cross an international border to play in.

Comment

Congratulations Vlad on winning first with an unbeatable score of 4.5pts/5 games! Must have been an extra nice Thanksgiving weekend!

Comment

Thanks to Isabella H / Andrew P and the team for the excellent tournament organized over the weekend. More than 70 players attended the maiden tournament. 3 sections and I am pretty sure most of the players had a great time. Hats off to the organizers !!! If only all the organizers are like them.....:)

Local favorite Vlad D ( CFC president ) won the Open section beating KW favorite Avinaash S in the last round. KW probably will be sending more troops in the next big one in March next year to capture the crown. :)

I think they will be having their next tournament which is a rapid / active tournament next month Nov 15. Those who missed the first one are really encouraged to attend the next month tournament as you will not be disappointed.

Cheers to Chess in Windsor and Canada.

Comment

Congratulations to Vlad, he showed that he is the strongest Windsor player currently. His USCF rating is more close to his real level.
              It was a great event besides CYCC ever happened in Windsor. John must be happy that he can relax by seeing Windsor chess is going on after his retirement.

Comment

John would be even happier if someone would post a crosstable somewhere. it would be nice to recognise the lower-rated players who won trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post
                  Congratulations to Vlad, he showed that he is the strongest Windsor player currently. His USCF rating is more close to his real level.
                  It was a great event besides CYCC ever happened in Windsor. John must be happy that he can relax by seeing Windsor chess is going on after his retirement.
                  The strongest Windsor player currently is Ray Stone though he doesn't play much lately other than online. In the early 1990's, we had the Canadian Open, Canadian Closed and maybe the Ontario Open two of which attracted more players which doesn't take anything away from this event. Extremely well organized Isabella Hui and directed by Andrew Peredun with the usual group of volunteers including You Zhou who was keeping the website updated and others to help to take entries (some of whom I met for the first time). Of course Chau Diep and Igor Gaisinsky organized transportation of chess sets and clocks and I am sure many of the parent volunteers helped promote the tournament.

Comment

John would be even happier if someone would post a crosstable somewhere. it would be nice to recognise the lower-rated players who won trophies.
                    :) I think only Andrew P. has the crosstable on his computer. I am wondering if the paring software(not sure what he uses) can export the database (tables and/or the whole database to MySQL) so that my son doesn't have to read the printed paring/result on the paper and typed in computer to website late in the night after coming home. in that case, update the website dynamically without much manual work.

Comment

The pairing software can generate html crosstables. It takes about 5 seconds. It just wasn't done.

Comment

To the Organizers :

Why were parents not allowed in playing room?

Regards

Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
                          To the Organizers :

Why were parents not allowed in playing room?

Regards

Mario
                          The room would have been tight and crowded with all the parents or even some of the parents in there, I would suspect. There was only room for three more players if they doubled up on the top three tables. A slightly different arrangement of the tables and moving a few of the tables from the board room probably would have allowed up to nine more players I expect. I found the room a bit crowded when trying to negotiate my way from the bathroom to the top boards - at least until everyone was sitting down.

The organizers are used to youth tournaments where such arrangements are the norm rather than the exception. If the space was larger they probably would have gone with the usual Windsor arrangement of segregating the parents in a waiting area where they can see the games only from a distance or through a glass window.

Comment

Since John was already complaining (through email) about the final standings not being posted while round 5 games were still in progress I assume he read my reply sent shortly after the event ended (~9:30 pm Sunday evening) indicating that I had sent off last round pairings and results along with final standings in spreadsheet format to be uploaded (the same way it was being done during the tournament). He even replied to this email with a quick "thanks for letting me know", so I'll admit my confusion that there are now claims that final standings were not sent.

Chesstalk does not seem to want to let me upload html files, so here are the final standings in picture format. Tiebreaks are not showing but the players are in the proper order.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Peredun View Post
                              Since John was already complaining (through email) about the final standings not being posted while round 5 games were still in progress I assume he read my reply sent shortly after the event ended (~9:30 pm Sunday evening) indicating that I had sent off last round pairings and results along with final standings in spreadsheet format to be uploaded (the same way it was being done during the tournament). He even replied to this email with a quick "thanks for letting me know", so I'll admit my confusion that there are now claims that final standings were not sent.
                              There was clearly a breakdown somewhere. The results never made it to the Windsor chess website, the Windsor Knightfighters Facebook page, nor to Chesstalk. (Nor to me - I could have posted them.) I suppose I could have a nag at the organisers, but they are very good at ignoring me.

Comment

Working...
                              X