Climate change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate change

For those of you who care about climate change, I just wanted to let you know Paul Beckwith has a new website. Paul used to post regularly on chesstalk and I know some of us did appreciate it.
    Here is his new site:http://paulbeckwith.net

Thanks Paul for your continuing efforts to mobilize the public to combat climate change.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 18th October, 2015, 08:30 PM.

Re: Climate change

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    For those of you who care about climate change, I just wanted to let you know Paul Beckwith has a new website. Paul used to post regularly on chesstalk and I know some of us did appreciate it.

Thanks Paul for your continuing efforts to mobilize the public to combat climate change.
    I have for some time now, followed Paul on Twitter......his tweets have been most informative on climate change, and often he gives good sources to back his position.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

On the heels of the record flooding in South Carolina and the unheard of mudslides in Los Angeles....

I saw a Public Television show tonight profiling the port in Jacksonville FL. Apparently this port is a bit inland, along a river, and in order to expand it and make it more competitive, the river needs to be dredged, and that involves environmental hearings.

A woman was interviewed and she was on the team of people that is applying to the Federal government for the dredging to be allowed. She came on and said in so many words: "Yes, we have to consider the environment, but when it comes to a choice between saving a wetland environment and creating jobs for people, we must ALWAYS choose creating jobs for people." Seriously, these were almost her exact words.

And in the recent Republican debates, Marco Rubio practically denied climate change altogether and pretty much said that he will ALWAYS choose jobs for Americans over environmental protections. Almost the exact same words as the woman on PBS.

I only bring this all up to show that even when evidence of the EFFECTS of climate change are overwhelming us with their images and stories, there are people in power who are going to simply say it's more important to grow the economy. Economic growth and jobs are the here and now, and these people simply won't let climate change and its effects slow anything down.

We are in a stagnant global economy. China is slowing down dramatically, affecting everybody else around the world. Demand is not growing. Desperate governments are going to do desperate things to try and jump-start new growth, and that means damn the environment. It truly is a stark choice facing the entire world: either keep the economic machine humming and allow the environment, specifically climate change, to destroy us within a decade or two, or cut back the economy dramatically to reduce climate change, thereby saddling the entire world with economic hardship and possibly a global depression.

I don't believe pragmatic governments, no matter their political ideology, are going to let climate change derail economic growth. Therefore the choice is forced upon us, and we should all prepare for the worst of the climate change effects. It is absolutely useless at this point trying to change minds as Paul Beckwith was trying to do here. Citizenry is NOT going to have any say in the matter. Prepare for yourself, and help others prepare for themselves.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Yeah, but those politicians are parroting what they know will get them elected. The general populace recognizes that climate change has negative consequences, but those consequences are vague, indirect, and long term. Meanwhile having a job to put food on the table is immediate and direct. And the majority of people are unable to follow the maxim of sacrificing now for greater benefit later. For the same reason people buy big screen TVs instead of saving for retirement, or eat fast food and not exercise. Everyone knows it's bad for you, but they do it anyway.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that citizenry, to borrow your term, is largely too self-centered to care about climate change. They certainly aren't willing to sacrifice their lively-hood for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          Yeah, but those politicians are parroting what they know will get them elected. The general populace recognizes that climate change has negative consequences, but those consequences are vague, indirect, and long term. Meanwhile having a job to put food on the table is immediate and direct. And the majority of people are unable to follow the maxim of sacrificing now for greater benefit later. For the same reason people buy big screen TVs instead of saving for retirement, or eat fast food and not exercise. Everyone knows it's bad for you, but they do it anyway.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that citizenry, to borrow your term, is largely too self-centered to care about climate change. They certainly aren't willing to sacrifice their lively-hood for it.
          Garland, you're bringing me down man, cheer up!
          Actually, there is a vast array of changes we can make to improve the situation with very little or no pain whatsoever. It's a matter of recognizing the problem and deciding to do something about it. I am not saying "problem solved", down the road there will be some sacrifices and difficult choices to make, but we can start solving the problem today.
          Go out and vote, but not for the conservatives!

Comment

Gentleman, thank you for your care. Climate change is real, and serious. I am not Canadian, but respect your country and people. I am helping Paul. If there is anything I can do for you, but does not include a simul by Yasser Seirawan, let me know! :). I joined here, just to follow up, if but for a moment amidst other, pressing work...

He has tireless worked and spoken and his new website is a serious effort. There are many smart persons in science and some of course in real chess, but Paul is one smart guy, with such a wide view. He is great to work with, and we built his site and more is to come. He has a book in the works, tt Naomi Klein recently, probably is helping if not taking senior role with a European start up... and has new videos coming. Your mention is such a delight. And let Paul know.

The planet is in very serious trouble, and its nice to see climate believers in chess. As for me, well, I do not have imprimatur there, as the stress is way too much for me, but certainly know and follow the game. Yasser is a close friend, and he even asked me to give HIM all his games with the WCC in chessbase, for his book Duals. Asked him: 'Did I miss any?' 'Nope. You got em all!' That's Tal, Smyslov, Kasparov, etc... Yasser certainly views as Paul, and you both do. http://paulbeckwith.net/chess/.

Its great to be connected to two persons who know chess so well and yet also know the direness of things out there. Its no joke. The way we are headed...........

Pls contact me if you have needs, in the cross area of our concerns, https://davidkornspecialprojects.wordpress.com/ davidkorn.specialprojects@gmail.com.

Thank you again--Garland, Bob, Paul Bonham. David Korn Tacoma WA // USA
            Last edited by David Korn; Monday, 19th October, 2015, 04:39 PM. Reason: corrections and additons

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              ... Citizenry is NOT going to have any say in the matter. Prepare for yourself, and help others prepare for themselves.
              Sadly, I suspect you're right, Paul.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

For those who are still open-minded, here's a wikipedia link that discusses the manmade global climate change controversy, giving many of the arguments of both sides:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ng_controversy

I'd note that while I have at times disagreed with the views of Paul Beckwith, Bob A. & Bob G., even on matters like this that may or may not be considered life & death (physiologically, or politically/economically), I find them agreeable enough as people.
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                  For those who are still open-minded, here's a wikipedia link that discusses the manmade global climate change controversy, giving many of the arguments of both sides:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ng_controversy

I'd note that while I have at times disagreed with the views of Paul Beckwith, Bob A. & Bob G., even on matters like this that may or may not be considered life & death (physiologically, or politically/economically), I find them agreeable enough as people.
                  :);):(

Comment

The 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference is scheduled to begin soon in Paris, France.
                    Prime Minister Trudeau has promised action on climate change. I wonder if he will signal to the world that Canada is really serious by inviting Elizabeth May to join the Canadian delegation. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X