Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campbellville Open Chess Tournament Nov28, 29 2015

Hey Bob,

4 more jsut registered in the U1200 and unrated section.

Comment

Re: FINAL result on Open section

NM Adam Cormier won clear first with $ 350 winnings ( 3.5/5 ). 4 others tied for 2nd and 3rd ( $ 90 each )

Konstantin D/ Nicholas V / Eugene H and David F tied for 2nd and 3rd with 3/5.

The highest rated player in the Open section is FM Konstan ( FIDE 2277 ). No players above CFC 2300 played in this tournament. Seems like this has been going on lately in the last couple tournaments in GTA area. This is certainly not a good development for the juniors.

What's the reason causing the titled players shying away from the these tournaments ?

Comment

Thanks Gary for posting results of Open section.
        I will follow up with the other sections, but first I want to complain.

First, many thanks to all the players who came and put up with the cold.
        The heating at the Mohawk Inn was atrocious. Saturday was bearable. We started the day with a cold room, but it warm up a little to 66 degrees F. The thermostat is old.

But on sunday, we arrived to find the room at 54 degrees. We complained and complained, but the room only climbed to a frigid 61 degrees F.

I want to hammer the point home to management at the Mohawk Inn that this is totally unacceptable. They need to do something about their heating problems. I don't want to hold anymore tournaments in a barn. I am asking everyone who played in the tournament to send me an email at rgillanders@cogeco.ca and complain about the heat. I will gather them all up and present to the manager at Mohawk Inn.

Thanks all.
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 30th November, 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

My thanks to those who have taken the time to write me an email and complain about the heating issue at the Mohawk Inn. Please keep them coming. I want an overwhelming fist full of outrage to match my own when I take my complaint to the Mohawk Inn management. They have a lot of nerve renting out a room with no heating.

On to a happier note, we had an incredibly competitive tournament.

U2000

A 4 way tie for first with 4/5.

Yuen Tak Mok, Andrew Plunkett, Mario Piccinin, and Constance Wang
          $190 each.

Sharing 5th prize with 3.5/5.

Alexander Friedman and Victor Itkin
          $25 each.

U1600

1st place trophy - Robert James Beaubien 4/5 on tiebreak
          2nd place trophy - Malhar Singh 4/5
          3rd place trophy - Jamie Macinnis 3/5 on tiebreak

Also with 3/5
          Harry Chen and Austin Xie

U1200

1st place trophy - Yu Xiang (Howard) Gong 4/5 on tiebreak
          2nd place trophy - Kevin Sun 4/5
          3rd place trophy - Allan She 3.5/5

Many thank to all our participants.
          Please accept our apologies for the heating problems.

Comment

Goodbye Campbellville!

Well, it’s 2 days later, and I’m still angry.
            For those who weren’t there, everyone played sunday’s games in their winter coats.
            The incompetent uncaring management at the Mohawk Inn were unable to provide the necessary heat for a comfortable environment. Saturday was played in a cool room at 66 degrees fahrenheit, but saturday evening they turned down the heat (automatic timers) and sunday morning started at a frigid 56 degrees. With the high ceiling and inadequate heating equipment, the room only climbed to 61 degrees.

This was our third year at the Mohawk Inn. We have endured poor air conditioning for our summer events, slow delivery for water, overpriced lunches, and poor lighting. After each event, we communicated our grievances to Mohawk management, and all has fallen on ears. I had lunch with Gordon today and we’ve decided to look for a new venue. Goodbye Campbellville.

I invite everyone again to email me and complain about the heat. I’ve only received 3 so far, but I would love to forward an avalanche of complains equal to my outrage at the failure of the Mohawk Inn.

Comment

Tournament results

See post from Gary Hua above for Open section.
              See my post above for other sections.

Tournament will be CFC rated tomorrow by 5pm.
              For complete tournament results,
              visit CFC website tomorrow

Open
              http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...f80e6f56d5f16d
              U2000
              U1600
              U1200
              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 2nd December, 2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Bob sounds to me that you either need a new place or you should get a rebate.
                Or just stop using cheap sites and charge more for entry fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  My thanks to those who have taken the time to write me an email and complain about the heating issue at the Mohawk Inn. Please keep them coming. I want an overwhelming fist full of outrage to match my own when I take my complaint to the Mohawk Inn management. They have a lot of nerve renting out a room with no heating.

Hey Bob, just trying to look on the bright side, although I can see you are p.o.'d.....

First of all, chess being played in winter coats gives credence to the idea that chess is a sport. After all, football is played in all kinds of conditions... well, you can say you are better than golf!!!

New idea for pub chess: make the pub open up the outdoor seating area and play the games there, take pics, send to government to support the notion that chess is a sport!

Secondly, maybe you could find something good about Mohawk Inn thinking they don't need any heating... such as this is them saying "We really believe in global warming, so much so that we are going to go this winter without any heat!"

Ok, I'll go away now... sock it to 'em!
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

When you guys have thawed out......was there any clear reading on how the "playing up experiment" worked out? It generated so much spirited discussion here, I'm sure a few would be interested!
                    Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                      When you guys have thawed out......was there any clear reading on how the "playing up experiment" worked out? It generated so much spirited discussion here, I'm sure a few would be interested!
                      There were 9 players playing up in U2000 section (5 within 100 points, 4 within 200 points) and Mate was able to avoid playing any of them. Hurrah!

Comment

Working...
                      X