• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icelandic Fischer

Icelandic Fischer

November 3, 2015

A new book on Fischer has just been published:

http://skrudda.is/baekur.aspx?id=255

The title is Yfir farinn veg með Bobby Fischer. The book is in Icelandic.

Do I need yet one more book on Fischer? I found that I have about 135 of them with the name Fischer in the title. I can’t read Icelandic and there is no ‘google translate’ option in Icelandic available.

The answer must be no.

However, today, Frederic Friedel, the founder of ChessBase wrote this:

Gardar Sverrison: Bobby Fischer's final years

Foreword by Frederic Friedel

A few years before he died, in January of 2008, Bobby Fischer was planning a return to chess – a “Fischer-Random” match against Viswanathan Anand. In this matter he decided he wanted to consult me, a co-founder of ChessBase and editor of the company's news page. But before he could do that he needed to send someone to Hamburg, to “check me out”. That would be Gardar Sverrison, his best and actually the only friend he had left in Iceland.

and the article concludes:

Gardar Sverrison’s book was written in Icelandic, but has already been (excellently) translated into English. He sent me the translation in PDF and I have read it with great pleasure. It accurately reflects everything I learned from the dozen or so telephone conversations with Bobby – and of course contains very much more, since Fischer lived in close proximity to the Sverrisson family in the final years of his life.

The book is due to appear in English in the next year. 
The publisher is not yet fixed.
    _____

I think I will wait until 2016 and then get the English version!

(The Catalogue of the Royal Library at the Hague lists 300 books about Fischer in its collection.)

The Friedel article is at:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/bobby-f...-s-final-years
    _______

Gardar Sverrisson (Icelandic: Garðar Sverrisson) was born in Reykjavík in 1959. He worked as a journalist from an early age, and his writings include two biographies, a novel and several short stories.
Working...
X