The Ugly Mess that is The English Chess Federation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ugly Mess that is The English Chess Federation

All this talk of comparing chess players to cellists - and no mention of Gregor and Jacqueline Piatigorsky who sponsored the First and Second Piatigorsky Cup chess tournaments back in the 60's. Both were avid chess players (she played in the US Women's championship) and both were professional cellists. The second Piatigorsky Cup was won By Boris Spassky ahead of Fischer.
    For Bio of Gregor Piatigorsky, go to >>>>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Piatigorsky

Comment

GM Davies - I did not ... defect.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      Many have read about GM Nigel Davies defection to the Undeb_Gwyddbwyll_Cymru (Welsh Chess Union). There is more in a recent article in The Guardian.
      Supplemental: GM Nigel Davies says "Just to be clear, I did not *&^% defect!"
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Good to hear. But sometimes you do give the impression that you are trying to convince us to abandon chess.
        You make some good points. Those playing organized chess are only a small fraction of all chess players, but that is probably true in a lot of games/sports.

I do see an evolution towards shorter time controls. 6 or 7 hour games are mostly ancient history. There is a movement in Toronto to promote pub chess. Perhaps these changes will bring more players to organized chess which would include a more relaxed tournament format. Widen the tent, so to speak.

Firstly, thanks for stating for the record that I make good points, that shows you are not one of the typical biased blockheads that posts here. If I give the impression that I wish anyone to abandon chess, it is only because I wish for EVERYONE to expand their definition of chess. Why does it have to be just the one game? Poker has many variants that are welcome in the WSOP and it adds to the success of poker in general. Why can't those running chess take this attitude, and encourage organizers to hold variant events? Well, it's probably because chess is already such a niche activity that the organizers themselves probably think they'd never get the numbers to justify such events. Probably correct. And so the never-ending circle goes.

To break this circle means to go to the people not currently in chess, to go to those who have been disaffected by what organized chess has done for decades now. They've moved on to other things, but chess is still something they could be brought into if it was more welcoming and flexible. Pub chess is fine, but it's not the path to dramatically expanding chess and getting spectators involved -- a necessary first step to making chess more mainstream.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Firstly, thanks for stating for the record that I make good points, that shows you are not one of the typical biased blockheads that posts here.
          Bob is just being diplomatic; he's just as much of a blockhead as the rest of us. Worse, probably.

Comment

Working...
          X