Sault Ste. Marie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sault Ste. Marie

'Wawa-news' reports on the successful 2017 CYCC and COCC bids by Sault Ste. Marie.

http://wawa-news.com/2015/12/18/saul...ments-in-2017/
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Friday, 18th December, 2015, 11:19 AM.

Re: Sault Ste. Marie

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Wawa-news reports on the successful 2017 CYCC and COCC bids by Sault Ste. Marie.

http://wawa-news.com/2015/12/18/saul...ments-in-2017/
    Tip of the hat to the SSM organizing committee for working so hard so early for these events. I would love to see the 2018s locked in by next summer, start a trend! :)

Comment

Are these numbers ballpark accurate?

"With close to 1,000 participants, officials and supporters expected to attend, the events are projected to inject more than $1 million of direct visitor spending into the local economy, along with millions more in indirect economic activity. "
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

"With close to 1,000 participants, officials and supporters expected to attend, the events are projected to inject more than $1 million of direct visitor spending into the local economy, along with millions more in indirect economic activity. "
        I'm not sure about the "1,000 participants..." number but the "$1 million" figure seems to be a bit optimistic ($1,000 per visitor?).

On the other hand, you know you're not in the big city any more when you have top news stories such as this:

"Fire Destroys Pancake Point Maple Products"

http://wawa-news.com/2012/07/21/fire...t-maple-syrup/
        Last edited by Steve Douglas; Friday, 18th December, 2015, 01:13 PM. Reason: meh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          It is not likely that CYCC will draw less than 250 players, so including player + parent(s) + siblings 750 people is not unreasonable. Then you have the Canadian Open, where players are less likely to be accompanied, so 1000 total attendance seems reasonable.

I'm too lazy to look up the bid details, but $1000 in local spending (hotel, food, local transportation, souvenirs doesn't seem unreasonable, especially if you count the entry fee as "local spending".

Besides, this is a newspaper you are quoting, right? Let's not sweat the details.

Comment

Re : Re: Sault Ste. Marie

The numbers are more than reasonable. In Montreal, we probably got close to 2000 people during the events (players+parents+spectators). If you take into account the flights, the total spending is well above $1000 per person. However, if you don't $1000/person is probably accurate for CO players, but not quite for CYCC players (and definitely not accurate for local players).

As far as for the number of players, it is extremely hard to tell. One of the most common comments I get about the CO is that people want it to be in a bigger city where they can have a lot of activities for the 8 days. It doesn't seem to be so much of a concern for the CYCC, as the schedule is much more packed. Looking at the past years, the organizers may be able to expect about 150 players for the CO and 225 for the CYCC (especially given how expensive and complicated it can be to get there), but it could be higher with good conditions and a lot of advertizing.
            Last edited by Felix Dumont; Friday, 18th December, 2015, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Based on my experience of having participated in 25+ Canadian Opens, I can tell you my pluses and minuses on sites. The smaller cities tend to put on a better event - but lack on things to do and a variety of places to eat outside of hotels (that are open at times when chess players want to eat). Sackville, NB (2001) had one Chinese restaurant - closed for vacation during the Open. Nowhere to eat after evening rounds. Edmunston, NB (1990) had no entertainment except the drive-in movie across the border in Maine. Windsor (1991) nothing to do except go to Detroit and watch the Tigers in old Tiger Stadium and taking chances on parking ("watch your car for you sir? $5, please."). Kapuskasing (2003, 2004) I skipped completely. I must admit the Fredericton (1977) was probably my most enjoyable Open - including a free buffet at some point. Hamilton (1978) was the worst.

My preferences would be Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver (in no particular order) - well-run events, reasonable entry fees, and lots to do between rounds (I don't want to stay inside with simuls and blitz all day). I would love to see Halifax get a shot at it.

The Soo doesn't appeal to me at all. $500+ to fly there from Montreal, and changes required in Toronto from just about anywhere in Canada.

Encourage Canadian GM's to play; let sponsors pay for any foreign GM's - don't take it out of the players' entry fees. Advance entry fees of $150+ are too much - the limit should be $100. Quebec Open is always under $100.

Comment

Working...
              X