Congratulations to Windsor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Windsor!

The CFC voting members (they use to be called Governors) have decided that Windsor ON will host 3 major chess events this summer.

Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) - July 5-8, 2016

Canadian Open (COCC) - July 10 - 17, 2016

North American Youth Chess Championship (NAYCC) - August 7 - 11, 2016

I would like to thank those who supported the CMA bid for the NAYCC in Kingston, ON from Aug 13-17, 2016 at the beautiful Ambassador Hotel - with a 100 foot waterslide :):

Alick Tsui
    Bruce Thomas
    Christopher Field
    David Gordon,
    Elias Oussedik
    Félix Dumont
    Garland Best
    Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
    Richard Bérubé

And those I know of who were unable to vote in time:

Bator Sambuev
    Deen Hergott

and anyone else who also missed the boat :)

Larry

Re: Congratulations to Windsor!

Larry, that's very gracious, good on you!

Now, I'm not a member of the CFC Executive, but I think it would be great if you would consider bidding early for 2019. Your organization, and especially with Francis as your Chief Organizer, could most probably make any event a great success. I think one angle to shattering records is the early start!

I often get hired for youth events in the New York area, including some American turns with the NAYCC, and I would love to be able to bring to them any plans we might already have in place by then, for our next turn in 2019.

Anyway, just some thoughts to consider in your internal planning. Bien a vous.

Comment

Thank you for the congratulations. Bator and Deen would have been able to vote by email if eligible but since their terms ran Canadian Closed to Canadian Closed and we had a new 2015 champion (Tomas Krnan) and runner up (Eric Hansen) and a new Masters Rep (Victor Plotkin) they couldn't vote.

Comment

Hi Vlad,

i approached them to support our bid because they were on the CFC website (Go to your site, click on about us, and then staff, officers and governors). i assumed (wrongly I guess) that the folks listed there were the ones who could vote. At the end of the day I am fine with the result and I wish you 3 successful events!

Larry

Comment

Thank you. My email to the Windsor parents will start out something like: there is good and bad news. The good news is that we won all the bids. The bad news is that we won all the bids.

The website information was accurate in July. At some point soon we will have to redo it again (the entire website, I mean, without spending $18k) though probably not this year or next if we get caught up in the online Premium Chess Server. The problem is there are too few volunteers/employees/administrators with free time to make sure everything is accurate and up to date. I could do it but I find dealing with the website very frustrating and so only have done so lately when you needed to change the Strategy and Games feature item and even that sometimes yields strange results like the update works on one web browser and not another at least temporarily.

From a sanity point of view I would have been okay with losing all bids as they would have been in good hands but when you have sponsorship involved you have to follow through.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 20th December, 2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) - July 5-8, 2016
            Aurora CC thanx for shifting the CYCC by one day to Tuesday compared to the last year Monday.
            2016 Aurora Summer Open will be held on July 2-3. Some players benefited a lot in previous years, even winning their categories at the CYCC; that I even created a slogan: Aurora Opens - where champions are honed :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Aurora CC thanx for shifting the CYCC by one day to Tuesday compared to the last year Monday.
              2016 Aurora Summer Open will be held on July 2-3. Some players benefited a lot in previous years, even winning their categories at the CYCC; that I even created a slogan: Aurora Opens - where champions are honed :)
              The World Open might have had something to with those dates?! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                Probably yes LOL Though, I think we had more champions over the several years than WO :) Need to double check real numbers.

Hope the next year will be more successful to you too :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  I really wanted to not step on anyone's toes. CYCC is after Aurora Summer Open and NAYCC is after Kitchener Chess Fest. Maybe we can create a summer grand prix Aurora----CYCC----Canadian Open----Quebec Open----Kitchener Chess Fest----NAYCC for a few. Our new working title for the Windsor tournaments is Caesars Windsor Summer of Chess. I just got approval from Caesars Windsor very quickly.

After our conversation this morning with Caesars Windsor convention manager I think we can revise upward the number of grandmasters we can invite. We have six slots now at this bare bones stage of the bid. With more aggressive fundraising we will hopefully be able to increase that.

Does anyone know what the greatest number of grandmasters in a Canadian tournament ever, was?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                    Truthfully Aurora had more to do with it than the World Open. By sidestepping the Aurora tournament we also sidestepped the World Open. I suspect there will be more Aurora players at CYCC than there will be from the World Open. Perhaps we can start a competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      Does anyone know what the greatest number of grandmasters in a Canadian tournament ever, was?
                      I think it was 28 at the 2007 Canadian Open in Ottawa, but I don't have time to check just now ...

Comment

There were 22 GM's at Ottawa in 2007. As for overall strength, I think the 11 or 12 GM's at Winnipeg in 1997 would be tops. (but the number of GM's does not make a tournament as I have said before - spend the foreign GM money on strong Canadian players instead).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          There were 22 GM's at Ottawa in 2007. As for overall strength, I think the 11 or 12 GM's at Winnipeg in 1997 would be tops. (but the number of GM's does not make a tournament as I have said before - spend the foreign GM money on strong Canadian players instead).
                          We are working on the details of reserved room blocks. We are probably looking at least 3 GMs at a minimum and maybe 6 at a maximum absent any additional sponsorship. There were some things in the Caesars proposal once explained seem to enhance their offer. Part of the problem with the Canadian Open is that there is such a range of possible attendance figures. If you reserve too few then everyone will have to scramble to find rooms at a busy time of year. Too many has problems as well as there can be penalties.

Comment

I strongly agree with Hugh's last point.

I would be much more interested in seeing Canadian legends (mostly IMs, even some famous FMs) vs. remote GMs. Thinking of people like Hergott, O'Donnell, Piasetski, etc.

Comment

Has the World Chess festival attracted more GM?

Comment

Working...
                              X