Spraggett (7), I. Sokolov (6)
    Short (3.5), Saxe (1.5)
    Speelman (4), Seirawan (1)
    Portisch (3.5), Vaganian (2.5)
    Hjartarson (4.5), Korchnoi (3.5)
    Yusupov (3.5), Ehlvest (1.5)
    Timman (3.5), Salov (2.5)
    Karpov had a bye into the next round.

International #1 (79 players - won by Joel Benjamin). A GM count is not given in EP - I would have to refer to the bulletins.
    International #2 (95 players) - won by Seirawan and Lputian. The EP report says 35 GM's were in this event.
    The two Opens each had a few "weaker" GM's playing.

The Internationals were played consecutively - but concurrently with the two Opens. I think the Candidates matches were finished before International #2 started.

The World Blitz was a 32-player KO event of 4-game matches which was won by Tal. Not having instant access to the crosstable at the moment, I would say almost all entries were GM's.
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Tuesday, 22nd December, 2015, 01:08 PM. Reason: corrrecting my oversight

Comment

Re: Congratulations to Windsor!

Well after seeing those numbers I am no longer looking to break any records but rather want to put on an event which will be well remembered. I have to reset though with the fundraising as the goal of $12,000 seemed ambitious at the beginning of the week since it was double what was raised last year but somehow we managed to get that without really trying. I didn't ask anyone for money, they just keep offering it when I tell them about what we are trying to do. All those sales and marketing and non-profit management and sports marketing books that I have been reading suddenly seem to be helping bring everything together.

Hugh, part of the reason the entry fees for the Canadian Open have to be so high is that the tournament is self supporting aside from any fund raising that the Windsor group will be able to do. We are determined to spend the money raised from CYCC and NAYCC on junior chess. The Canadian Open has to stand on its own though it is possible to even make a profit on that if the site is basically free if we get enough hotel rooms. The Canadian Open is benefiting from these two youth tournaments as a result which is a big cost saving but guaranteeing a $15,000 prize fund is still a bit nerve racking. The CFC website will be set up in early January to start taking entries and the early bird cutoff will be something like March 1st.

The model of low entry fees and high prizes is not sustainable and something is going to give there. I can promise that not one penny is going into the organizers pockets. Every penny will go to Canadian chess either the youth fund or to organize tournaments that will generate memberships and rating fee income for the CFC.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 22nd December, 2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        The World Chess Festival (however not a Canadian Open about which a previous poster had asked) in Saint John, NB in 1988 had several events:
        The original question was general: "Does anyone know what the greatest number of grandmasters in a Canadian tournament ever, was? "

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          The CFC voting members (they use to be called Governors) have decided that Windsor ON will host 3 major chess events this summer.

Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) - July 5-8, 2016

Canadian Open (COCC) - July 10 - 17, 2016

North American Youth Chess Championship (NAYCC) - August 7 - 11, 2016

I would like to thank those who supported the CMA bid for the NAYCC in Kingston, ON from Aug 13-17, 2016 at the beautiful Ambassador Hotel - with a 100 foot waterslide :):

Alick Tsui
          Bruce Thomas
          Christopher Field
          David Gordon,
          Elias Oussedik
          Félix Dumont
          Garland Best
          Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
          Richard Bérubé

And those I know of who were unable to vote in time:

Bator Sambuev
          Deen Hergott

and anyone else who also missed the boat :)

Larry
          Hi Larry:

I'm kinda scratching my head about the NAYCC decision. I'm sure Windsor will do a great job, but what family is going to want to take junior (and siblings) for a family vacation in Windsor twice in the same year? Kingston would have made much more sense, particularly with attracting players from Quebec where maybe they only want to do one "chess vacation" for the year. It will be of minor difference to the U.S. and international groups.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

We were offered the event by Vlad a long time ago. I tried to get a location in Toronto. The one we used in 2013 had doubled their rates. I couldn`t make the numbers work. I tried for something in Montreal but came up with the same problem. In November 2015, a member of my executive, Vadim T. suggested Kingston...BRILLIANT! I worked out a sweetheart deal with the kid friendly (who else offers a 100 foot waterslide inside the hotel?) Ambassador hotel. Now the numbers worked and we were able to offer an awesome event at a fantastic location! So we submitted our bid. But alas, he who hesitates is lost. By then Vlad was working on a package that included 3 events in Windsor in order to save everything....with what was on the table in October 2015...we were headed for a disaster in 2016.

Soo...if I had come forward with the Kingston bid in September 2015, I think things would have been different... At this point, I wish Windsor well...and honestly, with 3 events on their plate for this summer...they have a lot of work ahead of them.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              Soo...if I had come forward with the Kingston bid in September 2015, I think things would have been different... At this point, I wish Windsor well...and honestly, with 3 events on their plate for this summer...they have a lot of work ahead of them.

Larry
              If you had come forward with your bid in early November things probably would have been different. I have no doubt that you would have done a great job as would Quebec City but none of these bids were on my radar when I started talking with hotels and city tourism officials and once you promise someone you would do your best, you have to follow through if only to maintain credibility.

Comment

Hi Larry:

Thanks for filling in the background on what happened. I hope things work out well in Windsor and have every reason to believe they will. It's nice to know that disaster has been avoided and it's also nice to see that going forward, things might be better than they have been for some time.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X