2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

NOTE: The Open Section, 2000 and up, and the Ontario Seniors will be CFC and FIDE rated
    City: Kitchener, Ontario
    Dates: March 12 & 13, 2016
    Place: Kitchener City Hall, 200 King Street West
    Rds: 5,
    Sections: Open, U2000, U1600
    Round Times: Saturday: 9:30am, 1:30pm, 6:30pm. Sunday: 10:00am, 3:00pm.
    Registration Instructions: 9:00am - 9:30am at the door (cash only) or email Ralph Deline; ralphdeline@gmail.com . Any questions or concerns? Email me.
    TC: Rounds 1-5: G/90 + 30 sec Fischer
    Misc: Chess pieces, boards, and clocks will be provided by the KW Chess Club. Free parking is available a block away at the corner of Water St. and Charles St.
    EF: Everyone $50, Junior $40, and FIDE Titled players: Free if you pre-register by 04 March.
    Seniors: $50
    NOTE: U1600 - $20 entry fee, trophies for prizes; 2 or more U1600 from the same family = $15 each.
    Juniors to be under 18 years of age by December 31st, 2016. Seniors are those who are 60 years of age by December 31, 2016.
    CFC Membership required.
    Prizes: Prize fund based on entry fees (less rating fees and minimal expenses).
    Playing up: Rating must be within 100 rating points of section you wish to enter. $20 cost to play up with money donated to Olympiad Fund.

Accommodations
    Radisson Hotel Kitchener Waterloo, 2960 King St East, Kitchener, Ontario, N2A 1A9
    Phone: +1 (519) 894-9500 ext. 118
    Fax: +1 (519) 894-9144
    whg7107s@whg.com
    www.radisson.com/kitchenerca
    $114.99 +taxes for rooms with 1 king or 2 queen beds.
    This rate will include full hot breakfast (2 vouchers per room), complimentary parking, free internet and use of our indoor heated pool & work out facility!
    Last edited by Ralph Deline; Sunday, 28th February, 2016, 10:33 PM.

Re: 2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

Ontario senior chess players are also welcome to come to BC in June for the Canadian Senior Championship. Great city, great location, great camaraderie and a chance to meet Canadian legend GM Duncan Suttles.
    http://wordpress.cvining.com/canadian-senior-2016/
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: 2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

We are having the tournament prior to the Canadian Seniors so the winner (and others), if they wish, can attend as a representative for Ontario. Hopefully, the prize fund will encourage the winner to participate.

Comment

I have answered an inquiry and I will share that with the readers who may have the same questions in mind.
        The inquiry contained two questions; briefly, are national masters considered titled and can juniors below the section's lower limit by more than 100 rating points be allowed to play up as they are usually stronger than their ratings?

My answer; Sorry, that wasn't explained very well. By titled players, I meant FIDE rated players. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll update the ad.

I know lots of Juniors are stronger than their rating so we have a rule that if you are within 100 points, then you can play up for an additional fee.

Some stronger players don't want to play someone who is more than 100 rating points below the lower limit, say a 1400 player for example, then a 1999 rated could then end up playing someone who is approximately 600 points different. Hardly a challenge wouldn't you agree?

Suppose the higher rated player travels a long distance, spends a night (or two) in a hotel, and with food and tournament fees, the weekend got a bit expensive and now he has four games that tested him/her instead of five games. A bit disappointing.

Juniors will have their chance to increase their ratings as they play because good results will add bonus points as they continue to improve.

Comment here at ChessTalk or at ralphdeline@gmail.com

Thanks,
        Ralph

Comment

Mark your calendar, register, prepare, and join in for a fun weekend.

Comment

Please note the changes in the time for the rounds. Since we are having FIDE rated sections, the minimum time for the games is 90+30 Fischer so the first round was changed in indicate such, thus, the time for the rounds on Saturday were also changed.
            Sunday rounds remain the same.

We are also in the process of getting reduced rates at a local hotel. I should have that information soon.

:)

Comment

Arranging accommodations is like a Catch-22 situation, where the hotel will base their discount on the number of people staying at their hotel AND we don't know the numbers because of late registrations BUT here is what has been arranged using the supremely accurate scientific method of guesstimating.

Accommodations

Radisson Hotel Kitchener Waterloo, 2960 King St East, Kitchener, Ontario, N2A 1A9
              Phone: +1 (519) 894-9500 ext. 118
              Fax: +1 (519) 894-9144
              whg7107s@whg.com
              www.radisson.com/kitchenerca

$114.99 +taxes for rooms with 1 king or 2 queen beds.
              This rate will include full hot breakfast (2 vouchers per room), complimentary parking, free internet and use of our indoor heated pool & work out facility!

Comment

People are starting to inquire, register, and so I decided to put the list up early and I'll continue to add names as people register.

Preregistered List

Open

Bator Sambuev
                Razvan Preotu
                Eugene Hua
                Adam Cormier
                Hans Jung
                Rohan Talukdar
                Constance Wang
                Richard Chen
                Henry Zhang
                Zhanhe (Lambert) Liu
                Eddie Mark
                Projjwal Pramanik
                Daniel Liu

U2000

Mario Piccinni
                Rob Gashgarian
                Daniel den Bork
                Alfred Dugan
                Mahmud Hassain
                Mate Milinkovic
                Anton van Niekerk
                James Stockham
                Aaron Chen
                Dave Maenpaa
                Peter Bokhout
                Benjamin Lin
                Max Rusonik
                Ronan Uthayakumar
                Rene Preotu
                Dennis Sharron
                Adam Gaisinsky
                Eric Nong
                Benito Surya
                Max Chen
                Don Gareau

U1600

Gary Hua
                Michelle Hua
                Austin Xie
                Joseph Liao
                Jodie Liao
                Brenden Campbell
                Alan Li
                Angela Lin
                Rovshan Aliyev
                Wayne Proudlove
                Daniel Yu
                Peter Donnie
                Emma He
                Kousihan Balachandran
                John Nguyen
                Grant Chen

Seniors 60+

Ralph Deline
                Vilas Karmalkar
                William Klarner
                Istvan Kiss
                Thomas Verny
                Ian Finlay
                Doug Gillis
                Orjan Hammarstrom
                Last edited by Ralph Deline; Friday, 11th March, 2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Please enter me in the open Ralph. Thx Hans

Comment

Done did it. Thanks Hans.

Comment

Less than three weeks away. Register now avoid the rush!

Comment

Ralph, I do plan on playing, but I can't decide whether to play U2000 or Seniors section.

Comment

Tough decision! Much too important for a coin toss. Good luck in making the right decision!

Comment

I'll answer another inquiry I received by posting the information here on ChessTalk as there may be others seeking the same information.

The arbiter for the Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ will be Brian Clarke. He has successfully run tournaments in the past and is now qualified to run FIDE tournaments.

Brian really enjoys playing chess so we appreciate the sacrifice he makes so others can play.

Comment

A couple of years ago, several people were asking for FIDE rated tournaments in Kitchener-Waterloo. Lo and behold, the coming tournament on 12 & 13 March is FIDE rated for the Open and the Ontario Seniors sections.

In case people didn't know, I changed the date for free registration for FIDE titled players from the 26th of February to the 04th of March. Tell your FIDE titled friends! Tell everyone! Come yourself!

:D

Comment

Working...
                              X