• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2016

Canadian Open Chess Championship

Sun, July 10 to Sun July 17, 2016
    Caesars Windsor
    377 Riverside Dr E, Windsor, ON N9A 7H7
    9 round chess tournament to determine the Canadian Open champion. CFC and FIDE rated (top two sections only), One round per day with one double round day.
    Head Arbiter: TBA
    Time Control: 40 moves in 90 minutes, remainder of game in 1 hour, plus 30 second increment per move throughout.
    Schedule:
    Round 1: 2:00 pm Sunday July 10
    Round 2-6: 6:00 pm Mon-Fri Jul 11-15
    Round 7: 10 am Saturday July 16.
    Round 8: 6:00 pm Saturday, July 16.
    Round 9: 10:00 am, Sunday, July 17

Super Early bird Entry Fee until March 1st:
    All sections except U1200: $150.
    U1200 section: $60

Exchange rates below based on Sunday, February 7th rates or as otherwise noted.

After March 1st $175 Cdn ($127 U.S. at today's exchange rate), Free entry for GMs and IMs. U1200 $60
    After April 1st $195 Cdn. U1200 $60
    After July 1st $225 Cdn U1200 $65

Must be within 100 points of rating floor to play up. Fee to play up is $20 donation to CFC Olympiad Fund unless required to play up by organizers.
    Prize Fund: $15,000 Canadian Guaranteed:Open Section (CFC, USCF or FIDE over 2000) : $2000 / $1600 / $1300 / $1100 / $1000 U2400: $750 / $500 U2200: $750 / $500
    U2000 Section: $750 / $500 U1800: $750 / $500
    U1600 Section: $650 / $400 U1400: $650 / $400 U1200 $500
    Booster U1200 Section : Trophies Only Trophies for Top 3 plus Top 3 Under 1000, Top 3 Under 800 rating
    Unrated Prize: $200
    Prize fund is guaranteed
    Highest rating of CFC, USCF or FIDE used in determining prize eligibility except in open section where prizes and pairings based on FIDE ratings. Players over 1900 FIDE rating must play in Open section. Players must disclose ratings. 2500 CFC, FQE or USCF not eligible for U2400 prize. 2300 FQE, CFC or USCF not eligible for U2200 prize.
    Prizes are guaranteed but based on paid entries. Prize structure is based on 160 fully paid entries. If there are 220 entries prize fund will improve to $20,000. Booster section players count as 0.4 of an entry for purposes of this calculation. The last time this tournament was held in Montreal in 2014 there were over 400 participants. Note: Unrated players are not eligible for class prizes.

TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION BY EMAIL OR BY POST:

Full details are available on WindsorChess.org. Paypal account to accept entries is set up in name of Windsor Chess with info@windsorchess.org as email. Checks for the appropriate amounts in U.S. or Canadian funds can be sent to:
    Windsor Chess c/o Vlad Drkulec
    1725 Calvary Crt,
    Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada N8N 4X1
    Send PayPal payments to:
    info@windsorchess.org
    Please include Name, CFC ID, FIDE ID and USCF ID and Ratings if applicable and section that you wish to play in.

ONLINE REGISTRATION:

https://onlineregistration.cc/ Go down to Windsor Chess Association and choose Canadian Open at bottom of page. If you are not a CFC member make sure you put "new" in CFC ID.

HOTEL ONLINE AND TELEPHONE REGISTRATION:

You can reserve a room at Caesars Windsor by clicking on the following link or by calling the toll free number below and using the group code below:
    http://www.totalrewards.com/hotel-re...upCode=ACP0710
    Caesars Group Code for Canadian Open is ACP0710
    Call Caesars Windsor Reservations Toll Free
    1-800-991-7777
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 25th February, 2016, 05:56 AM.

Re: Canadian Open 2016

There is some confusion on the Super Early Bird vs. Early Bird entry fees. This Super Early Bird deadline may be extended past February 20th depending on how quickly entries come in. I expect that this date will be when we have collected a total of $50,000 in entries between the three tournaments (Canadian Open, CYCC, NAYCC) and we will be required to register for HST. At that point the price goes up by 13% which is the cost of the HST.

Comment

I can't guarantee that I will be able to post here as I have to use an anonymous surfing program which sometimes allows me to sign in to chesstalk and sometimes doesn't. These days I can't afford to spend the 40 minutes round trip to the library or some other public area with wifi. Many of the Windsor people are in the same boat including John Coleman.

I can post on the CFC forums at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/fo...2-English-Chat so if you need a prompt reply ask me there or at the info@windsorchess.org email account.

The website will be the first place where things get updated at http://windsorchess.org/tournaments.php.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 11th February, 2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Vlad, since Chess Talk migrated to the new site, I can sign in without using an anonymous proxy. Are you sure you are checking the new url http://forum.chesstalk.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          Vlad, since Chess Talk migrated to the new site, I can sign in without using an anonymous proxy. Are you sure you are checking the new url http://forum.chesstalk.com/
          Well I guess I'm back. I must have missed it when the new link was posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Canadian Open Chess Championship

Sun, July 10 to Sun July 17, 2016
            Caesars Windsor
            377 Riverside Dr E, Windsor, ON N9A 7H7
            9 round chess tournament to determine the Canadian Open champion. CFC and FIDE rated (top two sections only), One round per day with one double round day.
            Head Arbiter: TBA
            Time Control: 40 moves in 90 minutes, remainder of game in 1 hour, plus 30 second increment per move throughout.
            Schedule:

Super Early bird Entry Fee until Feb 20th:
            All sections except U1200: $150.
            U1200 section: $60
            Early Bird Entry Fee: $170 including HST (123 $U.S.) Entry Fee Feb 20th until March 1st.
            Under 1200 section $70 ($50 US).
            After March 1st $195 Cdn ($141 U.S.), Free entry for GMs and IMs.
            After April 1st $220 Cdn. After July 1st $250 Cdn
            Must be within 100 points of rating floor to play up. Fee to play up is $20 donation to CFC Olympiad Fund unless required to play up by organizers.
            Prize Fund: $15,000 Canadian Guaranteed:Open Section (CFC, USCF or FIDE over 2000) : $2000 / $1600 / $1300 / $1100 / $1000 U2400: $750 / $500 U2200: $750 / $500
            U2000 Section: $750 / $500 U1800: $750 / $500
            U1600 Section: $650 / $400 U1400: $650 / $400 U1200 $500
            Booster U1200 Section : Trophies Only Trophies for Top 3 plus Top 3 Under 1000, Top 3 Under 800 rating
            Unrated Prize: $200
            Prize fund is guaranteed
            Highest rating of CFC, USCF or FIDE used in determining prize eligibility except in open section where prizes and pairings based on FIDE ratings. Players over 1900 FIDE rating must play in Open section. Players must disclose ratings. 2500 CFC, FQE or USCF not eligible for U2400 prize. 2300 FQE, CFC or USCF not eligible for U2200 prize.
            Prizes are guaranteed but based on paid entries. Prize structure is based on 160 fully paid entries. If there are 220 entries prize fund will improve to $20,000. Booster section players count as 0.4 of an entry for purposes of this calculation. The last time this tournament was held in Montreal in 2014 there were over 400 participants. Note: Unrated players are not eligible for class prizes.

TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION BY EMAIL OR BY POST:

Full details are available on WindsorChess.org. Paypal account to accept entries is set up in name of Windsor Chess with info@windsorchess.org as email. Checks for the appropriate amounts in U.S. or Canadian funds can be sent to:
            Windsor Chess c/o Vlad Drkulec
            1725 Calvary Crt,
            Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada N8N 4X1
            Send PayPal payments to:
            info@windsorchess.org
            Please include Name, CFC ID, FIDE ID and USCF ID and Ratings if applicable and section that you wish to play in.

ONLINE REGISTRATION:

https://onlineregistration.cc/ Go down to Windsor Chess Association and choose Canadian Open at bottom of page. If you are not a CFC member make sure you put "new" in CFC ID.

HOTEL ONLINE AND TELEPHONE REGISTRATION:

You can reserve a room at Caesars Windsor by clicking on the following link or by calling the toll free number below and using the group code below:
            http://www.totalrewards.com/hotel-re...upCode=ACP0710
            Caesars Group Code for Canadian Open is APC0710
            Call Caesars Windsor Reservations Toll Free
            1-800-991-7777
            Hi Vlad:

I just registered to get the Super Early Bird registration fee (I hadn't seen about the possible pushing forward of the cut-off date). What I noticed though, was that the flyer on the Windsor Chess website is more up to date than the one on the registration site, which I believe is where yours above comes from. For example, the WC website flyer has Hal Bond as the named Arbiter.

Secondly, the criteria for "Playing Up" is not clear. It talks about highest of CFC, USCF and FIDE ratings for prized distribution. Does this also apply for the proper section to play in or playing up (In my case, my CFC and USCF ratings are in the 1500's, and so I can pay the $ 20 playing up fee if they are being used. But my FIDE rating is 1601! So if this is used, I MUST play in the U 2000 .....thus no playing up fee required)?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Vlad:

I just registered to get the Super Early Bird registration fee (I hadn't seen about the possible pushing forward of the cut-off date). What I noticed though, was that the flyer on the Windsor Chess website is more up to date than the one on the registration site, which I believe is where yours above comes from. For example, the WC website flyer has Hal Bond as the named Arbiter.

Secondly, the criteria for "Playing Up" is not clear. It talks about highest of CFC, USCF and FIDE ratings for prized distribution. Does this also apply for the proper section to play in or playing up (In my case, my CFC and USCF ratings are in the 1500's, and so I can pay the $ 20 playing up fee if they are being used. But my FIDE rating is 1601! So if this is used, I MUST play in the U 2000 .....thus no playing up fee required)?

Bob
              This is the problem with having to update things in half a dozen places. At the moment, Hal Bond may be the arbiter or he may be holding an arbiters seminar during the tournament in which case we will use another highly qualified arbiter who is TBA.

You don't have to pay a playing up fee. The website will typically have the most up to date information.

Comment

Toronto's own IM Michael Barron joins Canadian Open 2016

https://onlineregistration.cc/tourna...tid=nqWg&mid=0

Thanks to IM Michael Barron and the other players who have registered for the Canadian Open.

So far 13 have registered with many more coming soon.

Comment

Re: Toronto's own IM Michael Barron joins Canadian Open 2016

Link does not show registrations for Open.

Comment

Re: Toronto's own IM Michael Barron joins Canadian Open 2016

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                    Link does not show registrations for Open.
                    It shows for me... scroll way down almost to the bottom.

Comment

GM Gergely Szabo joins the Canadian Open!

All advance entries received through February 20, 2016
                      Total number of entries: 31

Player's Name FIDE Rating CFC Rating Section Bye(s)
                      Robert J. Armstrong N/A 1523 U2000
                      Michael Barron (IM) 2262 2351 Open
                      Brayden Boulanger N/A 567 Booster U1200
                      Dmitry Chernik 1914 2050 Open
                      Kevin Cui N/A 1154 Booster U1200
                      Tyler D Amore N/A 1857 U2000
                      John Doknjas 2225 2288 Open
                      Joshua Doknjas 1986 2178 Open
                      Neil Doknjas N/A 1704 U2000
                      Ken Einarsson N/A 1759 U2000
                      Doug Gillis N/A 1589 U2000
                      Jim Green N/A 1866 U2000
                      Bob Holliman 1893 2050 Open
                      Patrick Huang N/A 1723 U2000
                      Bruce W Leaden N/A 1545 U1600
                      Eric M Li N/A 1641 U2000
                      Ed Mandell N/A 1231 U1600
                      Ferdinand Supsup N/A 1835 U2000
                      Gergely Szabo (GM) 2548 2600 Open
                      Rohan Talukdar 2031 2202 Open
                      Tyler Tanaka N/A 1189 U1600
                      Kevin Wang N/A 998 U1600
                      Melissa Wang N/A 674 Booster U1200
                      Chris White N/A 1640 U2000
                      Kun Xing N/A 853 Booster U1200
                      Henry Zhang 1789 2046 Open
                      Wendy Zhang N/A 733 Booster U1200
                      Zhehai Zhang N/A 1837 U2000
                      Lily Zhou N/A 1740 U2000
                      Jeffrey Xin-Yu Zhu 1667 1943 Open
                      Max Zhu N/A 1444 U1600
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 21st February, 2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Re: GM Gergely Szabo joins the Canadian Open!

We're up to 31 entries.

Comment

How many local players who can't take a day off from work will be playing? I suggest changing the double rounds day to Monday (rd. 2 and 3)

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                            How many local players who can't take a day off from work will be playing? I suggest changing the double rounds day to Monday (rd. 2 and 3)
                            Seems a very reasonable request.

Makes 7-9 rounds very stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                              I will have to discuss this with the head arbiter Hal Bond. There may be an issue with rescheduling once the schedule has been posted. There may be quite a few Michigan players in that circumstance. If the Saturday before the Canadian Open and after CYCC were not booked we could have done strictly one round per day.

Comment

Working...
                              X