Kalev Pugi Fund Restructuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalev Pugi Fund Restructuration

Before explaining the new structure of the fund, I would like to apologize to all recent applicant. For some reason, no bursary was awarded last year, and I know some parents were counting on the money for tournaments. We will individually contact the parents in question very soon. We have now adopted new guidelines which hopefully will prevent such issues for happening in the future.

Kalev Pugi Fund

In order to promote fairness, transparency and clarity, the Kalev Pugi Fund committee is putting forward the following guidelines for future applications.

Deadlines:
    Participants should submit their application between July 1st and July 31. Answers will be given on August 15 at the latest.

Eligibility:
    -Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
    -Candidates shall not receive a bursary two years in a row.
    -Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st.
    -The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition.
    -The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st and June 30).
    -Candidates must have played in at least 10 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.

Process :
    -An online form will be made available during the application period. Applicants shall also be given the opportunity to apply through the CFC office.

Payment :
    -The bursaries shall be given as soon as possible following the decision.

Criteria :
    Bursaries will be allocated according to the following criteria :
    o Player’s ranking for his/her age group
    o Recent results
    o Motivations to participate in the event
    o Calibre of the event
    o Title/norm possibilities
    o Financial need

Amounts:

-The annual income of the Pugi Fund shall be divided to fund equal bursaries of roughly $300, awarded to different eligible Canadian players.

These guidelines were adopted by the Kalev Pugi Fund Committee (Patrick McDonald, Frank Lee, Felix Dumont) and presented to the CFC governors.

Re: Kalev Pugi Fund Restructuration

Felix wrote:

-The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st and June 30).
    Does that mean the money is awarded retroactively (i.e. for tournaments played in the previous 365 days)? If I'm not mistaken, in the past the money has been awarded for an event (or events) in the future.

Comment

I salute this initiative. As a chess parent I've been waiting for this for a long time.
      Some suggestions from my own experience:

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Eligibility:
      -Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
      -Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st.
      -The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition.
      -Candidates must have played in at least 10 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.
      -Candidates must participate in an international tournament where IM/GM norms are possible. NAYCC, WYCC or other juniors only tournaments shouldn't be considered for Pugi Fund applications.

This will avoid giving bursaries to CYCC players who want to participate to NAYCC, WYCC or other juniors only tournaments.

Amounts:[/B]
      -The annual income of the Pugi Fund shall be divided to fund equal bursaries of roughly $300, awarded to different eligible Canadian players.
      -The annual income of the Pungi Fund shall be divided in 2 equal bursaries: 1 for boys and 1 for girls

Instead of giving $300 to 3 or 4 players is better to give more money to 2 players.

Comment

Congratulations to Felix for getting this done. For too long the Pugi Fund has been operating with insufficient criteria.
        I was consulted in the formulation of the guidelines and I agree with them.
        The Chess Foundation of Canada administers the capital of the Pugi Fund and hands over about $900 per year to the CFC for allocation by the Pugi Fund trustees.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

A suggestion:

When you have a rising star, best to strike while the fire is hot.

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Kalev Pugi Fund Restructuration

1) Yes, the awards will now be retroactive. This is a major difference from before (where applicants could apply anytime during the year). The reasoning behind this is that it was not very fair to award the bursaries on a first-come first-served basis (with criteria, obviously). So, we decided to have a fixed date (July). Having a fixed date for applications, it would be difficult for some parents to know in July if they want to participate in tournaments 9 months from then. Also, given the relatively small amounts of the bursaries, I doubt it would have a huge influence on whether parents plan to send their kids to an international event or not, but will certainly help them financially for future tournaments.

2) We would rather not have international tournaments and IM/GM norms as criteria for eligibility, in order to have more flexbility. However, they are stated as criteria for the allocation, and will heavily weight our decision.

3) I would be open to have only 2 bursaries instead of 3, but both have their pros and cons. I think we should see the restructuration as a set of guidelines, which could be flexible (especially if the money from the fund is higher or lower on a given year). If we were to make some small changes like this for a year, however, we should announce it before July to make sure everyone is on the same page.

4) If we were to have only 2 bursaries, then it would make sense to have one for a boy and one for a girl. However, with 3 it is a little bit more complicated. I think I would personnaly prefer to keep more flexibility there. Given how well many Canadian girls do on the international scene, I have no doubt they will be very well represented among the recipients.

5) Given how relatively few the awards are, I think Canadian Chess would gain a lot in awarding the bursaries to different people every year. If some of our promising players do very well, the Youth Chess Fund is also an option that has been used in the past and could greatly help some players.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Kalev Pugi Fund Restructuration

1) Yes, the awards will now be retroactive. This is a major difference from before (where applicants could apply anytime during the year). The reasoning behind this is that it was not very fair to award the bursaries on a first-come first-served basis (with criteria, obviously). So, we decided to have a fixed date (July). Having a fixed date for applications, it would be difficult for some parents to know in July if they want to participate in tournaments 9 months from then. Also, given the relatively small amounts of the bursaries, I doubt it would have a huge influence on whether parents plan to send their kids to an international event or not, but will certainly help them financially for future tournaments.

2) We would rather not have international tournaments and IM/GM norms as criteria for eligibility, in order to have more flexbility. However, they are stated as criteria for the allocation, and will heavily weight our decision.

3) I would be open to have only 2 bursaries instead of 3, but both have their pros and cons. I think we should see the restructuration as a set of guidelines, which could be flexible (especially if the money from the fund is higher or lower on a given year). If we were to make some small changes like this for a year, however, we should announce it before July to make sure everyone is on the same page.

4) If we were to have only 2 bursaries, then it would make sense to have one for a boy and one for a girl. However, with 3 it is a little bit more complicated. I think I would personnaly prefer to keep more flexibility there. Given how well many Canadian girls do on the international scene, I have no doubt they will be very well represented among the recipients.

5) Given how relatively few the awards are, I think Canadian Chess would gain a lot in awarding the bursaries to different people every year. If some of our promising players do very well, the Youth Chess Fund is also an option that has been used in the past and could greatly help some players.
              Hi Felix,

Thank you for your detailed response. I must confess that it has been a while since I have looked at CFC stuff. Can you explain the Youth Chess Fund to us? How much is in that pot? Where do revenues come from? How long has it existed?

Thanks

Larry

Comment

How much is now in the fund?

Comment

The E.D. would be in the best position to answer that
                  Paul Leblanc

Comment

Sorry, I should be more specific. The E.D. can tell you about the youth fund and how much unspent Kalev Pugi grant money has accumulated.
                    I can tell you how much capital the Chess Foundation of Canada holds in the Kalev Pugi bequest and subsequent donations.
                    Paul Leblanc

Comment

There is no such word in the English language as restructuration

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                        There is no such word in the English language as restructuration
                        Also, sentences should end with periods.:)
                        I am sure everybody understood that Felix meant "restructuring" and we are grateful that he posted on the English language site as well as the French.

Comment

Kongston? ;)

Instead of ridicule ... suggest to Felix that Larry and/or his Adim can also make changes upon request.

Comment

Working...
                          X