2. WIM Y.Yuan 2270--2337--2303.5.
    3. WIM N.Starr 2127--2140--2133.5.
    4. M.-J.Ouellet 2016--2169--2092.5.

5. L.Agbabishvili 2025--2154--2089.5.
    6. WIM J.Peng 1923--2146--2034.5.
    7. Y.Li 1968--1986--1977.
    8. S.Demchenko 1797--2050--1923.5.
    9. R.Giblon 1816--1987--1901.5.
    This is probably mostly for Hal, but do you know how much longer we need to wait to have a transfer for WIM Matras-Clement without having to pay a huge transfer fee?

Comment

Re: The final list for Women Team

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
      4 players by rating + 1 choice for Selection Committee

1. WIM Q.Zhou 2328--2328--2328.
      2. WIM Y.Yuan 2270--2337--2303.5.
      3. WIM N.Starr 2127--2140--2133.5.
      4. M.-J.Ouellet 2016--2169--2092.5.

5. L.Agbabishvili 2025--2154--2089.5.
      6. WIM J.Peng 1923--2146--2034.5.
      7. Y.Li 1968--1986--1977.
      8. S.Demchenko 1797--2050--1923.5.
      9. R.Giblon 1816--1987--1901.5.
      Tell me again why sending this team is a good idea. It does nothing to grow women's chess in Canada - the team being sent is not signficantly stronger or deeper than 20 years ago, nor are the CFC female membership numbers.

Comment

And therefore by the same argument, we should not be sending our other team to the Olympics, because it is not significantly stronger or deeper than 20 years ago nor are CFC membership numbers as a whole?

Comment

The Chess Federation of Canada is a non-profit corporation. We are not limited to decisions that are profitable. As part of a larger organization (FIDE) we have certain duties which are of course subject to what we can afford to do. I would not count the Women's Olympiad Team as one of the optional items on our to do list. Much of the job of the directors is to say no to a large number of requests for funding. We can't fund everything. Because the directors are prudent with the members money, and due to the generous donations of members, it is possible for us to fund the Olympiad teams without going into deficit. Membership is growing largely due to new and old organizers who have been organizing lots of events. Our biggest deficit is in volunteers which means that things which might be profitable are slowed down but not stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
            And therefore by the same argument, we should not be sending our other team to the Olympics, because it is not significantly stronger or deeper than 20 years ago nor are CFC membership numbers as a whole?
            Men's team in 1996 had three IMs and an FM, and an average rating of 2454. This year I foresee a full GM team and a rating in the upper 2500s with possibly GMs who want to play unable to. The open team is significantly stronger and deeper than 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
              Men's team in 1996 had three IMs and an FM, and an average rating of 2454. This year I foresee a full GM team and a rating in the upper 2500s with possibly GMs who want to play unable to. The open team is significantly stronger and deeper than 20 years ago.
              Then you need to check the women team in 1996: only one IM, and other players below 2100.

Thus the same can be said about this women team:
              The open team is significantly stronger and deeper than 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Then you need to check the women team in 1996: only one IM, and other players below 2100.

Thus the same can be said about this women team:
                Current womens team has an average FIDE rating of 2162.
                1996 team had an average FIDE rating of 2123.

Current open team has an average FIDE rating of 2575.
                1996 team had an average FIDE rating of 2454.

The increase is obvious and substantially more on an absolute basis, to say nothing of the increased difficulty in moving up in the 2400-2500s compared to the 2100s. Your comment is ridiculous.

Comment

Your comment is ridiculous.
                  Your attitude towards women posted early was much more ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Your attitude towards women posted early was much more ridiculous.
                    I have no attitude towards women. I have an attitude towards a completely ineffective program. I would be all for and fully supportive of a program that actually promoted and grew women's chess. This does not.

Comment

So then if the open team's average rating was only 2493 instead of 2575 you would not recommend sending a team because we had not improved enough. Got it. Makes perfect sense to me.

Good thing Bareev and Kovalyov moved to Canada. Given how Spraggett refuses to play for our team, the open team's rating would be only 2515 without them. If Leseige skips as well we are down to only 2503. Getting awfully close to that 2493 number.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        I would not count the Women's Olympiad Team as one of the optional items on our to do list.
                        Is this a FIDE regulation or your opinion?

Comment

So then if the open team's average rating was only 2493 instead of 2575 you would not recommend sending a team because we had not improved enough. Got it. Makes perfect sense to me.

Good thing Bareev and Kovalyov moved to Canada. Given how Spraggett refuses to play for our team, the open team's rating would be only 2515 without them. If Leseige skips as well we are down to only 2503. Getting awfully close to that 2493 number.
                          If the open team's average rating was 2503, I think it would be a very worthwhile question asking why our team is not getting better, and whether the money spent sending them to the Olympiad was a good idea.

Comment

a completely ineffective program.
                            I would not call it a program. imho, it is a team competition where Canadian teams (whatever strength they are) are supported financially by members and their friends. Probably it's possible to dig out how much actually the CFC spent from it's budget, though I think it's not lot.

The real program is a Chinese approach and what Soviets did long time ago.

Comment

In reality, I think the woman's team ( if the top 2 want to play ) would be MORE marketable and interesting to sponsors outside of the chess system then the national team. As good as the newly immigrated male GMs are, they came from other systems and will only of be interest to chess purists ( for now ). In fact, I think a strong woman's team compliments the national team and creates stronger interest in BOTH teams.
                              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 12th March, 2016, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X